Tripods

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I have about £100 budget and I'm looking to buy a good solid tripod. I don't mind buying secondhand, but the problem I'm having is the height of the tripods. I don't want to be bending down all the time, and I find extending the centre rod to my height destabilises the tripod.

Is there a tripod out there that is tall enough without having to extend the centre rod? I'm not sure if the sizes listed on the internet include the centre rod extended. Also there are way too many tripods out there, how do I know what sort of stability they offer without seeing them in person?

I was maybe looking for Manfrotto, as I've heard these are good, but open to suggestions if there's something more solid available at a similar price.

Last edited:
Might help if we knew how tall you were :)

Manfrotto 055 in one of its guises should do the job, works for me at six foot.

I've a giotto and with the camera attched on a ball head & with the columm extended fully I would need to stand on a box to look thru the viewfinder....

Ohh & I'm 6'3 in my moccasin slippers :LOL:

Are you considering the weight are you looking to support as well?
I've got a redsnapper tripod that holds upto 8KG and its solid as a rock, and a Giottos that supports upto 5KG, also solid.

I'm not sure if it's still the case or not, but Talk Photography members used to get something like a 10% discount from redsnapper, providing you mention it when (if) you place an order.

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/
http://www.giottos-tripods.co.uk/index.php?page=productpage&cat=49130e801a374&product=4918537068d5f

Both sites have the heights of their tripods with and without centre columns

RedSnapper on TP The discount code was RED10 but not for anything thats on special offer - as you will read from the link...

But your best bet is to contact them an see if its still going - as Dan said it may or may not be available any longer...

Last edited:
SLIK 700 Pro DX

More sturdy than my Manfrotto 055 and comes with a decent 3 way head - although I have Manfrotto heads that I use.

I'm 6' and dont need to extend the centre column for normal shooting.

I use the Giotto's tripod MTL 9360B to hold up my 400mm 2.8 IS. I believe I paid about $160 US. Very solid when paired with the Manfrotto 393 gimbal head.

Manfrotto 190xprob im 6'4"
I thought height would be an issue but its really irellevent as you only really duck down to frame the shot?

One thing I would say is buy good quality first time! Think this is the 3rd one I've bought but will be the last....

Hi Richard, I have a Giottos Mtl9271b tripod which is a great piece of kit, it certainly has the height and is a very stable tripod, plus it can go quite low as well, if you need that at any point. It is around £100 for the legs, so adding a head will obviously be a little more over budget, but well worth a look. I too was fed up of tripods not being tall enough on there own. I ended up with 2 choices, Slik pro 700dx and the giottos. The slik wasn't available anywhere so ended up with the giotto. Hope this is of some use for you.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I just ordered this one. Looks the perfect height for me with the head included. I'd not heard of this company until now.

They do the discount for members of this forum, but not inclusive of the special offers.

Back