Tropical Spiders

Name
kurt
Edit My Images
No
Golden huntsman. Heteropoda sp.?
Heteropoda sp. IMG_3839 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Hmm...which one should I have for supper? I think I'll have both! Huntsman spider (Sparassidae) and two Ricaniid hopper nymphs. Selangor, Malaysia.
Huntsman Spider IMG_5128 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

A female Lichen Huntsman (Pandercetes sp.) guarding her damaged eggsac. The eggsac was okay just a day ago! Malaysia.
Pandercetes sp. _MG_4014 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Pandercetes sp. _MG_3914 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Jumping spider. Curious, inquisitive and uncooperative . It just loved to jump onto my diffuser . Selangor, Malaysia. Pseudamycus cf. albomaculatus - ID suggested by Debomay Chanda.
Jumping spider _MG_3845 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Jumping spider _MG_3853 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Good looking Lynx spider, Hamadruas sp. Selangor, Malaysia.
Lynx Spider _MG_3693 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Lynx Spider _MG_3676 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

More tropical spiders: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/2012/01/tropical-spiders.html

Those spiders are huge kurt - the scale of the leaves to the legs. Making me shiver a bit here! Shame about the ends of the legs getting cut off in a couple of them, favourites are those jumping spiders of yours - much much bigger than the jumping spiders in the UK.

Great set and very beautiful though (like Nick, Im not a fan of spiders either as you might have guessed). Love seeing your work but I dont think I want to bump into spiders that big though.

"Excellent" set of images yet again Kurt, and the size of the things makes me quite pleased you have them over there instead of them being in the UK.(y)

George.

Not my favourite creatures but a beautiful set of images.

Thanks for the comment, Nick.

Those spiders are huge kurt - the scale of the leaves to the legs. Making me shiver a bit here! Shame about the ends of the legs getting cut off in a couple of them, favourites are those jumping spiders of yours - much much bigger than the jumping spiders in the UK.

Great set and very beautiful though (like Nick, Im not a fan of spiders either as you might have guessed). Love seeing your work but I dont think I want to bump into spiders that big though.

Thanks, Carl. The clippings were actually intentional. Perhaps I should have clipped more to show that it wasn't accidental. Including the whole legs would alter the compositions greatly.

Fantastic images. I've never seen anything like that Lynx spider!

Thank you, Mark.

"Excellent" set of images yet again Kurt, and the size of the things makes me quite pleased you have them over there instead of them being in the UK.(y)

George.

Thanks, George. I love big spiders :D

Im a sucker for jumping spiders but these ones I would like to know the real size ?
Great shots Kurt (y)

Brilliant as per expectation but what a find on the lichen spider not easy spot at all.

The jumper is very oddly shaped but it's the eyes that do it.

Your lighting looks so much like natural light in most of your shots. It's the signature of your photographs. I can't distinguish between the night or the day shots. The jumping spider looks a really difficult subject being black with all the angles.

Amazing Kurt
I saw the first one on Facebook, my friend shared it
they are all excellent but the orange colour of the first one is spectacular:)

Im a sucker for jumping spiders but these ones I would like to know the real size ?
Great shots Kurt (y)

Thanks, Graham. That jumper was about 1cm in size. Average. There are many bigger species

Brilliant as per expectation but what a find on the lichen spider not easy spot at all.

The jumper is very oddly shaped but it's the eyes that do it.

Thank you, Bryn. That lichen huntsman wasn't hard to find. You'll see them on tree trunks too. I guess we're used to spotting them :).

Your lighting looks so much like natural light in most of your shots. It's the signature of your photographs. I can't distinguish between the night or the day shots. The jumping spider looks a really difficult subject being black with all the angles.

Thanks, T0p cat. It took me a long time to finally get the light i like :). Usually, it's the dark background and catch light in the eyes that give it away :D

Beauties all of them. I wouldn't mind if we had spiders as big as dogs in the UK as long as they were this pretty..

Thank you, Timmy. I am not sure if i want them that big :p. They might prey on human! I think I am okay with up to a good tarantula size.

Amazing Kurt
I saw the first one on Facebook, my friend shared it
they are all excellent but the orange colour of the first one is spectacular:)

Thanks, Pete. Yes, the hairs seem to glow in the dark :D

Last edited:
Fantastic work Kurt.

Back