Tropical Wings Essex

Name
Dave Peacock
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so i took delivery of a raynox 250 and wanted to try it out so i headed to tropical wings with fatboyjarv and used the 50mm 1.8

I was quite happy with these shots... feedback would be good as i want to go back there again and this time take a flashgun and put into practice any advice you decide to throw my way :)

Was my first real attempt at this and found the old bobbing in and out trick quite hard to do but gradually got the hang of it after about 50 wasted frames.

1:
5.jpg

2:
6.jpg

3:
8.jpg

4:
10.jpg

5:
15.jpg

6:
28.jpg

They all seem a little soft in the focus to be honest :shrug:

Les ;)

Don't look soft to me.

You may have slightly missed the best focal point, which can be extremely difficult with such a narrow dof, e.g. on the last one focus is just in front of the eyeball where it should be right on it, imo.

Yeah the parrot was the hardest.
He was really funny, everytime I put my camera near his beak he kept putting his eye up to the lens and bobbing his head up and down.

focal point on any insect should be the eyes ;)

like this image-

Stripe.jpg

No disrespect when I say this- Nos 3 - 4- 5 & 6 has missed the eye so far as focus is concerned- the antenea is in focus on No 3 This is just my opinion you understand, not looking to start a war :eek:

still a good effort

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
I see what you mean about the actual eye.
This is so much harder to do than i thought.
Was bobbing backwards and forwards to get focus as the raynox even moving a mm seemed to throw everything way out of focus.

Going to go back again soon and redo these i think :D

I see what you mean about the actual eye.
This is so much harder to do than i thought.
Was bobbing backwards and forwards to get focus as the raynox even moving a mm seemed to throw everything way out of focus.

Going to go back again soon and redo these i think :D

very hard subjects and the dof is very very unforgiving- just practise fella - you'll get there Im sure ;)

Les (y)(y)

Yep, it's a lot harder than you think. You could try putting it into high speed shooting mode and rattle off half a dozen shots at once as you rock in, at least then 1 might hit the spot.

Yep, it's a lot harder than you think. You could try putting it into high speed shooting mode and rattle off half a dozen shots at once as you rock in, at least then 1 might hit the spot.

I like the sound of that :D:D:D a sort of hit & Miss approach

just buy a tripod and a good ring flash, that would help out (y)

Les ;)

funny you shouold say that, these were done with that approach in the end.
well the butterfly ones were anyways.

I have a tripod, no ring flash but i have an sb900 and a trigger so i can use it off camera so ill take that next time.

One thing i was suprised at was the lack of light... was a huge place on a bright sunny day but being so close to objects i had to shoot at iso 1000+ slow shutter and f1.8 in some cases.

I think a flash will be key to this for next time.
Was good fun though i can see how it gets addictive doing this style of photography.

very addictive- I use an off camera flash most of the time- however the old ring flash is used a lot too

check my flickr account and you'll see :eek:

Les :D

Back