Trotternish Panorama

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
I posted some shots recently from a quick tour to Skye, but I've only had chance today to look at the pano.
Its a seven shot stitch taken with the 70-200. I love the detail that a panorama offers, and I'm pretty happy with the light on this one too. Its a beautiful place to shoot at any time of year, but the golden winter sun really makes this one for me.
The small res on here doesn't really do it justice, but I don't want to break the forum with a larger version.

Trotternish Panorama by Matt White, on Flickr

Spectacular light and scenery!

That is a stunning image Matty.
I wouldn't change a damn thing about it.
It's absolutely beautiful.

Fantastic shot.....:clap:

Spectacular light and scenery!

Thank you very much Kodiak, Skye is always a favourite in my book!

That is out of this world sensational. One of the best, if not the best, image I have seen of this location.

Cheers Steve - thats high praise indeed. One of those that it all seemed to come together for! Thank you.

Excellent

Thanks very much James

Nice work Matty, I know its not anything constructive and a like isn't enough for this lovely image, so had to say something as well.

Thank you Carl. It's always good to hear peoples thoughts, good or bad on the shots I put out! Much appreciated

That is a stunning image Matty.
I wouldn't change a damn thing about it.
It's absolutely beautiful.

Thank you very much Ruth, gotta say I am quite happy with the way it has come out. I'll consider getting this one printed, rather than languishing on my hard drive.

Got to agree this is fabulous. I'm Becoming a massive fan of your work Matt

Dave, thats really encouraging to hear. I'm determined to drive on a bit this year, and I certainly feel like I am seeing some progression. Its really good to hear that you're enjoying the work I put out there mate! Stay tuned for hopefully some more quality through the year!

Very nice image

Thank you very much Derek, pleased you like it!

Fantastic shot.....:clap:

Thank you Mike, much appreciated!

Stunning scenery, and you've dealt with the light and showed it in all it's glory. Fantastic shot, but, (it's only a tiny but, and I feel a bit anal mentioning it),if you could pull the sky back a bit top left that would be perfection. Or just tell me to jog on, it's great as it is.
Definitely a wall hanger anyway. (y)

Blimey, I do like this - a lot. Makes me want to get my boots on and get out there.....nice.

Stunning scenery, and you've dealt with the light and showed it in all it's glory. Fantastic shot, but, (it's only a tiny but, and I feel a bit anal mentioning it),if you could pull the sky back a bit top left that would be perfection. Or just tell me to jog on, it's great as it is.
Definitely a wall hanger anyway. (y)

Thanks Craig. Appreciate your comment, I am pretty content with the top left area of sky I think. It's certainly not blown, and I kinda like the idea of a brigher area to suggest where the light originates from, I think it also gives a nice touch of colour, and balances out the darker area bottom right. Can I ask why you think it needs reeling back a bit. Genuinely interested. I don't want it to look like theres highlight recovery going on there. Appreciate you taking the time to comment though. Much appreciated!

Blimey, I do like this - a lot. Makes me want to get my boots on and get out there.....nice.

Thank you Mulch, thats exactly the effect that I want the shot to have. I love being out in the early mornings, when its peaceful and I'm looking forward to getting a few miles under my boots. If this transfers through in my shots, then that makes me a happy man!! Cheers

a stunning shot

Thank you very much indeed!!
Beautiful and definitely worth clicking on it and rotating the tablet for the high res experience!
J

Haha, you're right, it needs a bigger view to allow the detail to work I think. Glad you like the shot!

Stunning. I find images like this so helpful when learning what makes a wonderful landscape image. Out of interest, whereabouts on Skye did you shoot this from?

I shot it from off the path to the Quiraing, I was heading up to climb one of the pillars for another shot (which I've not processed yet!!) it's probably a 20 minute walk to this point from the parking area. The key to the shot is light, I've shot here before a couple of times, and the light completely transforms the landscape. It was a matter of planning where I needed to be in order to get the angle of light I was looking for, and the composition I needed. If it's clear over the mainland, with cloud over Trotternish at this time of year, it can make for a beautiful shot. I just hope I did it justice! Thank you

I shot it from off the path to the Quiraing, I was heading up to climb one of the pillars for another shot (which I've not processed yet!!) it's probably a 20 minute walk to this point from the parking area. The key to the shot is light, I've shot here before a couple of times, and the light completely transforms the landscape. It was a matter of planning where I needed to be in order to get the angle of light I was looking for, and the composition I needed. If it's clear over the mainland, with cloud over Trotternish at this time of year, it can make for a beautiful shot. I just hope I did it justice! Thank you

Gotcha! My next trip to Skye I'm intending to camp up on the Cuillin and other ridges for a couple of nights. We did the Southern Cuillin group last year so I'm not sure I'll get to head back quite so soon, sadly. So your wonderful photos are as close as I can get for the moment!

Gotcha! My next trip to Skye I'm intending to camp up on the Cuillin and other ridges for a couple of nights. We did the Southern Cuillin group last year so I'm not sure I'll get to head back quite so soon, sadly. So your wonderful photos are as close as I can get for the moment!

The Cuillins are a fantastic range, I've only ever experienced them in poor weather. I'm going to try and get a trip in over summer for some views and a bivvy up there, but I'm going to check out the Rum Cuillin in May which I am really looking forward to! Thanks very much and enjoy your travels.

WOW!!!

Well done!

Many thanks Luis, very much appreciated!

Oh my.
That is simply awesome.
Composition, format, timing, colour - all brought to perfection.

Apart from anything else the golden morning light has a unifying influence within the frame. Also the whole image gives a good hint of the local geology & the way that chunks of hill have faulted & slipped ...

Looks prehistoric! It's amazing. What focal lengths were you using? Stitching is excellent - can't even tell! But I suppose that's the point eh? haha.

This is why I love being Scottish and living in Scotland :)

Last edited:
Got to hand it to you, that's a stunning image. Bit otherworldly.

Thank you very much,
I love shooting up there, amazing interesting features to work with!

Oh my.
That is simply awesome.
Composition, format, timing, colour - all brought to perfection.

Haha, thanks very much. I'm not sure I brought ALL of those things, but I'm really happy with the outcome. Cheers

One of the best from up there, the light really worked hard for you.

Thanks Scott, the light came good, after 9 hours driving in the dark to get here, to say it was welcome would be a colossal understatement!! Thank you

Superb shot.

Thank you very much indeed

Apart from anything else the golden morning light has a unifying influence within the frame. Also the whole image gives a good hint of the local geology & the way that chunks of hill have faulted & slipped ...

The light certainly helped me out that morning. It is a compelling place to absorb, and I had to force myself to get back to the camera at times, as I just stood and drank it all in. Thank you!

Looks prehistoric! It's amazing. What focal lengths were you using? Stitching is excellent - can't even tell! But I suppose that's the point eh? haha.

This is why I love being Scottish and living in Scotland :)

And you're lucky to have such beautiful scenes close to you haha! It's a pano composed of 7 vertical frames shot with the 70-200mm, I guess around the 80mm mark from memory. Working quickly and efficiently is key I think when shooting stuff like this, as the light can change pretty rapidly. Thanks very much!!

Indeed a beatiful landscape, cant wait to cast my eyes on it for real, thanks for sharing Matt.

It's a pleasure Kevin, are you heading up this year? I am sure you will love it up there if so. I'll certainly aim for a couple more trips up this year, but I'm looking forward to a tour of Eigg and the Rum Cuillin in May first of all! Enjoy!

Thanks Graham, much appreciated!

Hmmm, May - before the midgies get going full-spate! I spent a May week on Rum back in the 90's (in a tent), and I wish I'd had the photographic knowledge & equipment that I do now. But I was there to walk, to scramble and to be, and photography was an add-on to that.

Spent time on Eigg too on various occasions - in those days one hardly saw anyone else with a camera at all - these days I suspect that with publicity & the internet you can hardly move for them?

This was true of the whole far northwest Highlands, really. And in those pre-internet (& altogether pre-digital) days, you rarely saw anyone else's photos (or they yours) - in the realm of photography you were largely isolated. You met other people (locals, other hill-goers), but there was little evidence that any of them were into photography ...

Last edited:
That, is an absolute stunner.... superb.

Hmmm, May - before the midgies get going full-spate! I spent a May week on Rum back in the 90's (in a tent), and I wish I'd had the photographic knowledge & equipment that I do now. But I was there to walk, to scramble and to be, and photography was an add-on to that.

Spent time on Eigg too on various occasions - in those days one hardly saw anyone else with a camera at all - these days I suspect that with publicity & the internet you can hardly move for them?

This was true of the whole far northwest Highlands, really. And in those pre-internet (& altogether pre-digital) days, you rarely saw anyone else's photos (or they yours) - in the realm of photography you were largely isolated. You met other people (locals, other hill-goers), but there was little evidence that any of them were into photography ...

I sincerely hope that I don't encounter the midges in May, I chose to go to Harris and Lewis in August, and pretty much escaped them, though they were out in force in Glencoe when I stopped off en-route.
I don't see too much in the way of shots from Rum and Eigg, they look really interesting places to explore, and the Rum Cuillin looks like a lot of fun for walking. I just need to hope the weather plays ball!
The highlands are very busy these days, though it's good that people are spending time appreciating the country, and not sat in front of a television wasting away!

Nothing is set on stone Matt, but it is on the list to visit (y)

Get it booked Kevin, you won't regret it!

Cheers Gaz, much appreciated!

Thank you Andy, gotta admit, I am happy with the way this one has come out! I just need to find somewhere that prints very large canvases now!! Cheers

Well I can't beat all the platitudes you have already received for what is a stunning image.

Thanks for sharing Matty

You could get a nice big canvas of this and stick it on the wall, excellent stuff.

You could get a nice big canvas of this and stick it on the wall, excellent stuff.

I'd love to Marie, thank you. I've been struggling to find anywhere that would print it as large as I'd like. I wanted something around 2m-2m50 wide, but everywhere I looked seemed to be limited to a max of 150cm wide.

Back