Trouble with Sigma 10-20mm

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
What can I do about a wide angles lens that is soft/blurred on one side of the picture?

I've had it sent to Sigma UK but they couldn't do anything to it, so they sent it to Sigma Hong Kong, they replaced a lens inside the lens, they sent it back to me, but it is still the same?

The lens in question is the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC
Since buying the lens, I haven't used it much because of this. Photos can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daelpix/8699716688/sizes/c/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/daelpix/9586592017/sizes/h/in/set-72157635241393772/

I did have some better photos, but I deleted them

Do you take that filter off when taking pictures and what aperture setting do you use......i may rarely stretch to f11 on mine but 99% of the time its f8 as anything higher seems to do similar to yours

Sounds like the barrel is misaligned, I'm surprised Sigma can't fix it.

Did you buy it from a UK shop? if so I'd take it back and get a replacement.

Do you take that filter off when taking pictures and what aperture setting do you use......i may rarely stretch to f11 on mine but 99% of the time its f8 as anything higher seems to do similar to yours

No I didn't take the filter off. I cannot remember what aperature I used. Last year I took some shots using different aperature's and all the photos were the same.

Sounds like the barrel is misaligned, I'm surprised Sigma can't fix it.

Did you buy it from a UK shop? if so I'd take it back and get a replacement.

I got it wrong, they just adjusted the 4th group lens unit.

It was bought on eBay by a company called HKBNS which is based in Hong Kong (I've learnt my lesson not to buy anything abroad!!)

Last edited:
When I was looking for an UWA I borrowed a friend's 10-20 and found it had the same problem. I've heard several others complaining about the same thing.

I sent it to be checked in December 2011. I think last year I got it checked by a local camera shop and he said he didn't see any problems with it when it was on a tripod. There's no way I can use a tripod all the time.

Take a photo tomorrow at F8 and as fast a shutter speed as you can and post it up here so we can see what its like.
Like i said before above f8 i've had problems but at f8 never a problem......just a quick example, taken hand held 1/200 at f8

Boat and the beach 2
by martyndt, on Flickr

Martyn
I will depending on the weather (been raining, sleeting and snowing all today)

Ivan
I've only had the lens for 4 years and I've hardly used it.
I'd rather get it fixed if I can.

I payed around £500 for it

Uploading 6 photos of two different shots at f8 in my flickr below. Please note they were hand held.

Interested to hear more about this since I was looking for one of these lenses...

Just don't buy from abroad. Especially China or Japan!

I had a sigma 10-20 f4.5-5.6, and now a f3.5.
I found them both to be excellent. Sigma consistency on quality is rumored to be a bit iffy. Probably best to buy one from shop so you can try it first.

Just had a look at the shots on Flickr, its a weird one as the ones with the wall on the left do look pretty soft on the left side though the landscape and road one at 10mm looks the same throughout with no more noticeable softness on the left. Did you have the UV filter on the lens?

Just had a look at the shots on Flickr, its a weird one as the ones with the wall on the left do look pretty soft on the left side though the landscape and road one at 10mm looks the same throughout with no more noticeable softness on the left. Did you have the UV filter on the lens?

No UV filter

Classic problem with these lenses and miss aligned elements. The only way it's getting fixed is an expert. I'd send it to sigma again and pay for a repair if it come back still not working return it to them and they should do future work for free as they sent it back fixed and usually guarantee there repairs.

I'll send them an email and see what they say

Is this right a new one from WEX is £349 and the f3.5 model is £399.

I can't remember exactly how much I payed for it. I think it was £300+

I'll send them an email and see what they say

I'd suggest you don't bother with it any further, and get rid of the lens by means of ebay or anything else that works. It is obvious that repair centres had hard time fixing centering defect and you missed the 6 month window to claim on repair warranty. Chances are it will never get fixed properly.

Sigma may make a few interesting primes these days, but the older stuff was dire at best. Look at Tokina or Canon instead and do tests before parting with cash.

I'd suggest you don't bother with it any further, and get rid of the lens by means of ebay or anything else that works. It is obvious that repair centres had hard time fixing centering defect and you missed the 6 month window to claim on repair warranty. Chances are it will never get fixed properly.

Sigma may make a few interesting primes these days, but the older stuff was dire at best. Look at Tokina or Canon instead and do tests before parting with cash.

Sorry I can't do that.
I'm not wasting my money on £300+ when I haven't used the lens much.

I received a reply from Sigma and they've asked me to send some high res photos to them as the ones I sent weren't any good.
So I'm going to go out right now (think I'll go for a drive in the Yorkshire Dales) and take some photos.

I got a reply back yesterday saying that they would mark it as Urgent and I should have the lens back in around 6-8 weeks time.

I'm considering not to do it tbh. Maybe it will be cheaper if I just get rid of the lens (even though I spent £300+ on it!! (and haven't used it much!)).

Send it back and get it fixed unless you think selling it on ebay as spares/repairs will get you a reasonable return.

Ignore daugirdas he only has two levels of response love or hate a well centred versions of this lens have been getting great reviews for years.

Last edited:
Send it back and get it fixed unless you think selling it on ebay as spares/repairs will get you a reasonable return.

Ignore daugirdas he only has two levels of response love or hate a well centred versions of this lens have been getting great reviews for years.

I'll consider sending it back. But if I receive it again and the lens is still bad then I might consider selling it. And I won't buy another wide angle lens.

It's not unusual on this lens once you get to silly apertures such as f/22, but it should be performing at it's best at f/5.6. It's worth a repair, but there is a point to stop throwing money at it if Sigma are charging you.

Had a long think and I've decided to send the lens back to Sigma and **try** and get it fixed.

There's no point in having it in stored when I'm not using it.

I'll post a reply when I have it back :)

Thought I might tell you guys that I received an email from Sigma saying that I don't pay for any repairs.

Which I think is rather generous of them considering that they didn't repair it 'properly' the last time.

nice one hope you get it back sorted this time, i keep my sigma around f8 or f 11 here is a photo at f 11 12 mm iso 800 hand held its not a landscape mind i use mine more for car shows

the scottish car show 2013
by hoochy1, on Flickr

Which I think is rather generous of them considering that they didn't repair it 'properly' the last time.

I had a problem with a 150-500 a few years back, it kept missing focus. Luckily I live near there service centre so I dropped it off for a check & it was diagnosed with a duff O.S unit.

I had it back 3 times before it was finally fixed (was duff replacement O.S units from the factory !)

Thanks hoochy, so do I!!!

mrgubby
Three times? I bet you weren't happy!

mrgubby
Three times? I bet you weren't happy!

Understatement !

The guys at the service centre weren't happy either, in the first two cases they'd fitted the unit & soak tested for a day only to find the O.S unit went beserk when fitted to a camera (it made the whole camera shake !!)

When they fitted the final unit they kept it for a whole week soak testing, it worked perfect when I got it back but by then I'd "fallen out of love" with it. It's been replaced with a 120-300 but I've got a hankering for the new Tamron 150-600 VC ...........

Hmm At least mine is doing ok. But I've only had it for a few hours :D

Sigma lens back from Japan yesterday. Sigma(UK) sending lens back to me via UPS today. Should have it back tomorrow :) Hopefully the lens will be fixed. Fingers crossed.

I hope so.... Interested to hear how you get on with the repair... I'm looking at a UWA and this one has been suggested...

Hi guys, nice forum here! Is this problem usual in this lens? I´m was after one of this but perhaps is better go after a tokina 11-16

Hi guys, nice forum here! Is this problem usual in this lens? I´m was after one of this but perhaps is better go after a tokina 11-16

That is a much better lens, considering f/2.8 aperture and top performance

I think it was a waste of time really.

I used the lens on friday last week. I hand held the camera all the time, and I didn't get one shot in focus.

I give up with this lens. I shouldn't have wasted my money on it. Might decide to sell it.

Now I have two lenses which I'm not happy about.
I'll be upgrading my camera body when I can, won't be this year though.

Back