Try at Flower pic

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Another try at flowers, any comments welcome on how I can improve this.

Dave

Last edited:
Hmm, never tried this kind of thing myself yet, but maybe a darker coloured background to see if the flower will stand out a little more.

Bad choice of BG; The image lacks depth due to uniform lighting. Try a single light/flash at different angles to the subject to induce shadows.

Gary

Hi Dave,

Agree with the background comments. You need to choose something more neutral that isn't going to compete with the flower in terms of colour.
And if you're going to shoot the flower on a diagonal, IMO it looks better if the angle is more pronounced so that leads in from a corner of the frame.

The other thing is the DoF. It's very shallow in this shot, which isn't always a bad thing, but it looks like you have the focus on the buds behind the main flower. This has left the most interesting parts of the photograph oof.
If you're going to use a narrow DoF try to get the focus sharp on the main focal point of the shot - in this one the centre of the Lily at the front; or go for a smaller aperture to get more of the image in focus.

Personally, I like black backgrounds for bright colourful flowers:

showphoto.jpg

not a great PP job due to small image size, but it does look more striking against the black.

Thanks guys, rework by Harvey nikon does work better, Next one will have a better choice of background, would black card be better than cloth?,

Dave

. . . would black card be better than cloth?,

Dave

Personally I prefer cloth - you tend to get less reflection from it than you would with card. I picked up a metre of black cloth from my local market for this sort of thing - only a few £s.

Try to get a decent amount of distance between the flower and the b/g too - this will help to keep the backdrop black. To give you an idea, this is a flower against black cloth that I used for my 52 this year.

Personally I prefer cloth - you tend to get less reflection from it than you would with card. I picked up a metre of black cloth from my local market for this sort of thing - only a few £s.

I have had a look around for some black cloth to try, can only find some shiny nylon stuff, didnt look as if it would be any good, will try again during the week when all the shops are open

Dave.

Back