Trying Monochrome - any comments on this pic

Name
Ray
Edit My Images
Yes
1165640398_bAB8Z-L.jpg

Should you go for blends of grey or more black and white.

I guess it depends on the subject and what you want to do - so there is probably no answer to that.

Ta

Ray

As you say it depends on the subject - this contrasty works quite well here.

Impressed with the tonal range, jet blacks throught to pure whites, well done.

Now as for the picture, as a picture it dosen't do a lot for me.

Just my 2p's worth.

D in W

Impressed with the tonal range, jet blacks throught to pure whites, well done.
Now as for the picture, as a picture it dosen't do a lot for me.
Just my 2p's worth.
D in W

Ok, can you point me to an example of a picture of a similar subject that you would like,

It is interesting to see what makes a good monochrome for people.

this pic is more architectural than art, very lined up and symmetrical so probably doesn't make it easy on the eye.

Cheers R

Ok, can you point me to an example of a picture of a similar subject that you would like,

It is interesting to see what makes a good monochrome for people.

this pic is more architectural than art, very lined up and symmetrical so probably doesn't make it easy on the eye.

Cheers R

The B&W works well for me, but the image itself would have been better with a wider angle lens imo, the gap at the end of the bridge is too wide, pushing all the detail in the ironwork to the sides of the image, whilst my eye is being led to the black void at the end. I think with a wider angle the extra perspective would have made the bridge seem longer, the void at the end smaller and got a lot more of the ironwork in.

At least that's my take on it!

Ray, as the artist of the photo I would say it is your choice how to process and present it. If you want people to comment on whether it should tend more towards extreme B&W or more towards shades of grey then it might be better to present both examples rather than leave it to people's imaginations. Certainly I would struggle to visualise the alternatives.

Here's one of my B&W conversions, tending towards a softer approach to toning and contrast....

20100612_190418_3858_LR.jpg

It's technically fine and the processing suits it. I think it would have been more interesting if the two distant figures had been more prominent - perhaps in the middle distance where that pool of light is?

It's no good advocating a dense black and a good white, if those tones don't really exist in the scene, which is why Tim's example which consists largely of mid tones looks just right too.

The B&W works well for me, but the image itself would have been better with a wider angle lens imo, the gap at the end of the bridge is too wide, pushing all the detail in the ironwork to the sides of the image, whilst my eye is being led to the black void at the end. I think with a wider angle the extra perspective would have made the bridge seem longer, the void at the end smaller and got a lot more of the ironwork in.

At least that's my take on it!

Alan, Good idea - as the bridge is not going any where soon - i'm going to go and retake it with a WAL. It was a 18-55 but i zoomed to get the bridge perfectly central.

The people were purely coincidental and I was being heckled by some people outside the pub behind - so i just took the one shot. (it was a 12 bore!! Ha! er... sorry, must remember not to shoot people....)

Ray

Ray, as the artist of the photo I would say it is your choice how to process and present it. If you want people to comment on whether it should tend more towards extreme B&W or more towards shades of grey then it might be better to present both examples rather than leave it to people's imaginations. Certainly I would struggle to visualise the alternatives.

Here's one of my B&W conversions, tending towards a softer approach to toning and contrast....

20100612_190418_3858_LR.jpg

ok, ill do that next time. That is the first B&W I have specifically taken as a B&W.

I'll like that bridge!! Nice pic. What lens - not much less than 35mm I would guess??

Cheers R

Last edited:
As a pic of a bridge, it looks okay to me. But the composition is just gagging to have something more interesting in the middle!

Ray,

Out of interest, did you shoot in Jpeg, with B&W set on the camera, or did you shoot normally, and do a B&W conversion with software ?

The reason I ask is that I tend to shoot in Raw, then do the conversion out of camera as it gives you more latitude.

Your shot works, but I think it could have been better composed, not sure how, but it just seems to lack something to give it that extra "pop".

Steve

you mean like a vintage car or something?

Yes, that would be a good choice. But could equally be a contrasting slinky sports car. Or indeed any subject at all would look great in there - anything from a fashion shot, to a herd of cows, to a nude on a monocycle! :eek:

It's a brilliant location for something, but to my eye doesn't make a great subject in itself.

Ray,

Out of interest, did you shoot in Jpeg, with B&W set on the camera, or did you shoot normally, and do a B&W conversion with software ?

The reason I ask is that I tend to shoot in Raw, then do the conversion out of camera as it gives you more latitude.

Your shot works, but I think it could have been better composed, not sure how, but it just seems to lack something to give it that extra "pop".

Steve

RAW, pretty much 100% of the time. Then a simple convert in Aperture.

OK, i'm going to try something and post it later. But i was concentrating on getting the tones right with this shot, my previous shot was in Fog (below), and some one suggested it would be an excellent place for good vis B&W.

1163865379_VHTTy-L-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back