Trying something a bit different

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd try and create a fine art type of look with this image taken today in bright sunlight at a dressage show but I think it's lacking something.

Or is it just a load of b*ll*cks? :D

Harry-Potter-9-copy.jpg

I like the idea - but it is a little too dark on my monitor. I think however from a client perspective it would be a seller for sure. What was the process you used to create it?

I really like the picture agree its possible a bit too dark but great idea.

I also like the feeling but it is just a touch too dark.

edit: Just looked at this on my monitor upstairs and it looks fine. But I think that is because my monitor upstairs seems to show things much lighter than my other one. Neither of them are calibrated though.

I think it would work quite well if it was a little lighter - took me a mo to work out what it was :LOL:

I think it's lacking something.

Detail?

Seriously I think the image almost works but the horse and rider don't 'stand out' enough, as others have said, try a bit lighter perhaps more contrasty...

Not sure what you are trying to say/tell here.
Agree with the rest that it's too dark.
Burning off the riders head does not help.

Sorry, nahh not for me

The pic is dark, but I think for me if you highlighted the main details more, riders face, horses arse etc :)
It would work, and work well.
great idea.

Nothing has changed since this morning Glo, heavy night was it? ;)

I like it Colin! (y)

I read the Hasselbladder news that dropped out of a magazine this week and they had a short feature on an Equine photographer (think he's the one from the back page Spiller's ads) and the minimal look was pretty strong. What's more my daughter (a rider) liked the style. Keep at it, you'll develop a style all your own before you know it (y)

I like the idea but it's way too dark

Version II now, not there yet but getting close to the effect I'm after.

Post processing (short version):
Levels
Midnight Sepia Action
Dodging and burning
Edgarian Blur action
Sepia toning
Convert to sRGB

Harry-Potter-9-sepia2.jpg

And the original if anyone wants to play.....

Harry-Potter-9c.jpg

I can see why you gave it the vignetting to begin with - his head just disappears into that dark area - it's just one of those things, I'm afraid - as my old boss would say: "Get out of my office and do it again..."

I like the idea, but I don't like the shot you're trying to push it with. More face, perhaps?

Great idea Colin ... and an excellent subject to give it the treatment ... a tad dark but it works for me m8 ...(y)

However ... I think you have over-cooked it in the second attempt ... getting too close to monotone (ous ?) ... :D

Just a bit of selective lightening on the first and it will be superb ... if you can sort Arkady's head problem out too ...:LOL: ... no offence Rob ...:D

:p

I like the treatment a lot, but I think the image is too weak to begin with.

Back