Trying to find a Ringflash for Canon 5D

MKD

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Trying to find a Ringflash for Canon 5D

There seem to be a number of cheaper units that limit the size of lens, we want something that will take a range of lens 72,77,82mm having trouble finding something.

I found one but the battery pack was a carry bag and was £745 any idea's about any others.

Thank All

Mike

What will you be using it for? If it is for portraiture I don't think your going to have much change left from 600-800 pounds.. Check out the Lencarta safari for 600..

Is it for portrait work or macro?

I recently had a play with a lencarta item and was quite pleasantly surprised by just how light the kit was and how powerful it was :eek:

Is it for portrait work or macro?

I recently had a play with a lencarta item and was quite pleasantly surprised by just how light the kit was and how powerful it was :eek:

Quite often too powerful...but that's what ND gels are for..(y)

I just turned the power down a tad and took a step back........ I love free ;)

try the orbis ring flash or rayflash. Both adapters that a normal speedlight slots into.

do you have a 580exII if so google the orbis its a modifier instead of a ring so way cheaper but less powerful

What are your needs?

I went and bought a 580EXII as we need it for next wednesday and we only have one flash at the moment (430EX). We need two, as last time we took some pictures at an event at night I used a 50mm prime which worked quite well but it was a bit of a job getting enough light.

I like this idea of using the Orbis kit do you know the size of lens you can use with it.

Thanks all

Mike

Not sure of the orbis but as a rule i'm not that happy with the accessory rings. We have a Rayflash for use on a 580ex2 and it's been a bit of a disappointment in all honesty. Very expensive for what it is (even at a reduced cost when purchased at focus on imaging)

Also, as the light ring is much smaller than the likes of the lencarta unit, getting the balance of catch light and shadow around the subject. It also gets in the way of the focus assist beam on the flash.

I went and bought a 580EXII as we need it for next wednesday and we only have one flash at the moment (430EX). We need two, as last time we took some pictures at an event at night I used a 50mm prime which worked quite well but it was a bit of a job getting enough light.

I like this idea of using the Orbis kit do you know the size of lens you can use with it.

Thanks all

Mike

pretty sure it'll fit any lens but it will defo take your standard 77mm jobbies (but admittedly its unlikely to go round a 600/4 :p)

Not sure of the orbis but as a rule i'm not that happy with the accessory rings. We have a Rayflash for use on a 580ex2 and it's been a bit of a disappointment in all honesty. Very expensive for what it is (even at a reduced cost when purchased at focus on imaging)

Also, as the light ring is much smaller than the likes of the lencarta unit, getting the balance of catch light and shadow around the subject. It also gets in the way of the focus assist beam on the flash.

the orbis is 'supposed to be' a bit better because of the way the light goes in the bottom and the flash hangs, its also light stand mountable if you want it to be. But I can't see it being miles better tbh. They are both about a sixth of the price of the lencarta which is one of the cheapest ringflashes going, with the cheaper and smaller comes the much lighter and more portable. which is better really depends on your priorities and what you need from your kit

Back