Trying to improve on my macro

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I think I'm slowly improving and need some C&C to help see if I'm headding in the right direction.

All taken with a 5D + 100mm Macro + Flash app 1/200 sec f14

First up a Silver Studded Blue Butterfly ( I'm no expert on ID - so put me right if I've got it wrong ) - this one sat around and was not in the least bothered about me getting in close

Silver studded blue butterfly by TinTin1952, on Flickr

Next up is a Cinnibar Moth Catterpillar

Cinnabar moth cat by TinTin1952, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Mike

Nothing much wrong with those :clap:

If I had to provide a small crit, it would be, the wings in the butterfly are a little soft in focus on thre top edge- still a cracking effort though

Les (y)

Looking pretty damn good to me Mike, but as Les says, just a tad out of focus at the top edge of the wing.

At that distance, the DOF is minute so it's very difficult, even with wings that are shut. I know how frustrating it can be to get all in focus :bonk:.

The knack is to get as perpendicular to the plane of the wing as possible. If you have an accomodating subject like here, I do this by slowly walking to the side of the butterfly and seeing at what angle the wing is (crap english sorry). I find I can then judge at what angle to hold the lens, to be as close to perpendicular to the wing as humanly possible.

All this, and remembering to spot focus on the eye!

Sounds easy, doesnt it? :bonk:

Thanks guys. For sure getting focus is the hardest thing - most of my macro shots go in the bin.

I guess a lot of it is perseverance to get the right technique. I also feel that I'm loosing some sharpness between converting RAW -> JPEG -> uploading to Flickr.

Thanks guys. For sure getting focus is the hardest thing - most of my macro shots go in the bin.

Most of everyone's macro shots ebd in the bin, so don't worry about that.

As Nigel and Les have said, try and get the butterfly's body parrallel with your camera. This will optimise the dof and allow you to drop aperture to around f8. This is turn will give you about 1.5 stops extra shutter speed and reduce your reliance on flash. With your flash set to high power, you have obliterated the ambient light and got the classic flash-lit macro black background. For me, this looks unnatural. Try dropping flash power 1-2 stops abnd use as a fill-in if needed.

also feel that I'm loosing some sharpness between converting RAW -> JPEG -> uploading to Flickr

How do you sharpen your images? Using the sharpem setting in Canon's DPP or USM in PhotoShop shouldn't lose any sharpness, infact it can increase. Most recommen dartions are to increase sharpening when saving for the screen, so bump up the settings a bit before uploading to Flickr.

Thanks Mark, appreciate your input. I'll have to find about more on how to drop the flash power as I quite agree that the black BG does look unnatural - but i found using flash did increase the % of keepers.

I'll keep plugging away and hopefully there will be some better shots posted in the not too far distant future !

Back