Tudor flowers... Street

I hate that expression. Why is it a Marmite shot? It's only so if you are prepared to listen to people's opinions based on whether they "like" it, which is the most utterly useless way of judging a photograph's worth.

It's interesting. I didn't read it as tudor panelling though until I noticed the title. I just saw hard, black, white, geometric lines vs. soft, colourful and organic, and the guy dressed like a hoody. That dissonance between the two elements could be an analogue of how we view certain people, and is just interesting in itself as binaries often are. As such, the title is irrelevant, and a wee bit cheesy as titles often are.

I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to say "Cool shot.. maybe it needs a crop" soon though.

Last edited:
Looked at this the other day at work and I thought I'd left a comment . . . obviously not, so I'm glad it got bumped back up the page.

TBH the Tudor reference was lost on me until I just read David's post and that was one of the things I was going to ask you about.
Not that it changes how I perceive the photo - even knowing now that it's Tudor paneling I still can't see it as such. My eye insists that it's a modern geometric pattern in the background, which fits perfectly with the 'hoodie guy' - although that in itself is an interesting observation about seeing what we expect to see.

Good timing in capturing the guy in front of a white section. I think it would have lost some impact if there had been a black bar running through him.
I also like that you've framed this with him at the far right and resisted the temptation to position him slap bang on a third. Gives a really good feel of horizontal movement through the photo which contrasts well with the strong black verticals.

The division of the image into the two sections - soft, random flowers at the bottom and modern, stark and geometric at the top (I really can't visualise this as Tudor paneling at all) - is judged perfectly IMO.
Again, the temptation may have been to devote most of the image to where the action is happening and lose some oof foreground but it works much better for me as it is.
The DoF stops the flowers dominating the image despite the fact that they take up about 2/3rds of the shot and I'm left feeling like the two sections are well balanced with neither being more prominent than the other.
I appreciate that this may have been more luck than judgement, but the blues in the flowers which are then echoed back in the blues of 'hoodie man's' outfit work to tie the two aspects together too.

All in all, a very interesting image and well spotted. I like it a lot :)

Last edited:
Back