Tuesday 9th - iPhone 6 and Apple Watch day

How are the notifications going to get to the phone unless it's a cellular device in its own right?

Well, since we're all just talking here.... I can imagine a system that logs into local wifi and polls for message from Apples notification centre. Or it could have built in rudimentary 3G usage like the Kindles that have "free" 3G as long as you are basically using it to shop with Amazon. Or maybe a mesh style system where it could interact with other devices and turn them into local hotspots for the sole purpose of getting important texts about cat videos. Or they could build something entirely new. This is Apple we are talking about after all.

It is quite simple if you want an all singing dancing battery hog including its own call/data modem and gps locator then this won't be for you. Very simple indeed.

A cynic might point you at the newly released Suunto Ambit 3. (Here's a very good review in case you're interested - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/07/suunto-ambit3-multisport.html). It does GPS (very well), heart rate (via an extra strap unfortunately - I really wanted them to build it into the wrist strap) AND it will communicate with your iPhone if it's in range and push notifications to you (if you want). Android too "soon" :D. It doesn't have a sexy new interface or a colour haptic screen - but the battery should last a good couple of days with all the toys turned on (Suunto say 50 hours and they are generally accurate on these things).

Or you could just keep your phone on you.

This thread has become a little pointless so I'll bow out.

Enjoy :)

Well, since we're all just talking here.... I can imagine a system that logs into local wifi and polls for message from Apples notification centre. Or it could have built in rudimentary 3G usage like the Kindles that have "free" 3G as long as you are basically using it to shop with Amazon. Or maybe a mesh style system where it could interact with other devices and turn them into local hotspots for the sole purpose of getting important texts about cat videos. Or they could build something entirely new. This is Apple we are talking about after all.

A cynic might point you at the newly released Suunto Ambit 3. (Here's a very good review in case you're interested - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/07/suunto-ambit3-multisport.html). It does GPS (very well), heart rate (via an extra strap unfortunately - I really wanted them to build it into the wrist strap) AND it will communicate with your iPhone if it's in range and push notifications to you (if you want). Android too "soon" :D. It doesn't have a sexy new interface or a colour haptic screen - but the battery should last a good couple of days with all the toys turned on (Suunto say 50 hours and they are generally accurate on these things).
Massive ugly purely functional thing and you still need a separate phone. Not quite certain how you ascertain that it does all in one slim body.

Or you could just keep your phone on you.

This thread has become a little pointless so I'll bow out.

Enjoy :)
Do you wear your phone in your wrist?

It is not for everyone. My suggestion to those who don't get it, is to just don't get one. Life will continue without one :)

Massive ugly purely functional thing and you still need a separate phone.

Um, no you don't. Only if you want to get messages from your phone. Which seems kind of reasonable.

I think my point is that version 3 of the "Watch" (really, stupidest name ever - almost unGoogleable) will be really really good. In the meantime, blessed are the early adopters for they pay for R&D.

My suggestion to those who don't get it, is to just don't get one. Life will continue without one :)

So is this thread only for people who are getting one or is it to discuss the pros and cons and understand the product.

If it's the former then I'm in the wrong place I suppose.

Um, no you don't. Only if you want to get messages from your phone. Which seems kind of reasonable.

I think my point is that version 3 of the "Watch" (really, stupidest name ever - almost unGoogleable) will be really really good. In the meantime, blessed are the early adopters for they pay for R&D.
Unless I'm missing something weren't we just talking about how you get messages etc to the phone. And that big ugly thing doesn't have a phone/lte modem. So it won't.

I agree that it will get better and it will get cracked as in made fully integrated and slim.

My ideal would be s screenless phone and a watch for the only UI together with voice control. Oh and a simple very small earpiece for discrete communication.

Does this watch actually exist yet ?

It's being released "early next year" so Apple marketing have got a good few months of reading these threads to nail the feature set for launch :)

It's emerging that the iPhone 6 does have a flaw, one where no amount of updates can solve. Let's put it this way, wearing tight jeans while being on the chubby side and the new iPhone 6 may not be a good combination: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29341663

And with that to mind . . .

WobbleAppleMobilesmall_zpse0afc12c.jpg

It is all over macrumours and had turned it into a huge android troll fest. Shame.

If it happen to my 6 plus I'll just get it exchanged at apple. Simples.

Can't say I've encountered it yet whilst wearing my skinny and slim fit trousers. It is probably going to be like antenna gate and turn into a lot of noise about nothing. As my grandmother would say; high trees catch a lot of wind.

Not sure what being chubby would have to do with it. Surely if you're chubby and wearing tight jeans at least the phone has got a larger soft mass to absorb the energy than someone with thin legs wearing tight jeans. Just an observation

I've been playing Asphalt 8 today on my 6+. One the optimised games. Just wow. Such amazing graphics, really fun games. And very good on battery life as well.

Does anyone else have any good iphone 6+ optimised recommendations?

Not yet but if EE get their finger out and get me my 128gb Space Grey I'll see what I can do!!

Hope you get it soon. I've found a section on the App Store called Gorgeous iOS8 Games. These are all known to be optimised with the Metal API. I'm downloading now...

What cases have people bought ? My 6 should be arriving on Monday so I want to get a soft / silicon type case asap

What cases have people bought ? My 6 should be arriving on Monday so I want to get a soft / silicon type case asap
I did buy a cheap soft case from carphone warehouse for my 6+ but took it back as wasn't happy with it. Ended up with proper apple one, pricey but fits perfect (and can still be docked on speakers etc). Am waiting for speck case to be released.

After cancelling my order for a 6 Plus, I bought a 6. To look after it I bought the Apple leather case. It's a quality product.

The local Apple stores only had red cases and were saying 3 weeks for other colours :eek: You'd have thought they'd be a bit more prepared when launching a new product

A friend has the apple silicon case which looked great ( if pricey at £25 ) so I'll get a cheapo ebay one until I can pick up something else

I got the Apple leather case in midnight blue, it's worth checking your local CEX for them (stock can be checked on their website) as they are only £25 for them there, rather than £35 at Apple.

Back