Twilight with a 10 Stop ND

Good find Lee, that's awesome... Love the way that's caught the refraction of the atmosphere too

Sorry Trev, we're getting a bit away from your shot here...

Speaking as someone that likes natural looking shots - I quite like your completely unnatural looking picture :)

In post 1 that is :)

Last edited:
Just a thought guys - B & W isn't the only way to go....

Formatt (HiTech filters) do a 100mm slot in version for those who use Lee/HiTech/Cokin Z filter systems....

mine was delivered within 48 hours of ordering....total cost less than £50....

Haven't used it yet...hope to this weekend

Si

Grest pic. That's one to keep.

It is a cracking shot.

I was thinking about getting one of these, but at the prices listed, I will be screwed as I will need a 82mm OMG!!!

In your D40 box there is supposed to be a small black plastic piece that slides on the eyepiece, it for this exact purpose that it's included. The only thing is that with Pro. grade bodies, this curtain is built-into the camera body .. with lower-end bodies (D300 down-wards) it's an external piece that you slide on.

Thank you very much for that, I've uncovered the piece of plastic in question. Never knew what it's purpose was before besides keeping dust off the eyepiece! :shrug:

They are screw in. Have to remember to close the eyepiece too, or you get horrible purple blobs.

Gary.

Still to check whether my camera has this problem, but now you mention it I think it came with an eyepiece blanking plate.

All film SLR's I had did not have that problem because the raised mirror formed a light seal at the base of the pentaprism so that the only light reaching the film was that which came through the lens.

Does that not happen with DSLR's?

I can only encourage you to get a 10 Stop. They are great fun.

I got the B+W one from Warehouse Express. Here's what Google throws up.

B+W 77mm ND-110 (3.0) SH Filter £152.39 - Warehouse Express

However, I am gobsmacked. I paid £62 delivered for the 77mm version last year. They've almost tripled in price !!!!

Here's where I got mine from - Excellent service and much cheaper than the price listed above Click here

Just a thought guys - B & W isn't the only way to go....

Formatt (HiTech filters) do a 100mm slot in version for those who use Lee/HiTech/Cokin Z filter systems....

mine was delivered within 48 hours of ordering....total cost less than £50....

Haven't used it yet...hope to this weekend

Si

Can you let me know how you get on with this as I am interested in these as they are a fraction of the price. I used a screw in version in the past and found them a bit cumbersome and a slot in may be easier.

Can you let me know how you get on with this as I am interested in these as they are a fraction of the price. I used a screw in version in the past and found them a bit cumbersome and a slot in may be easier.

77mm filters are available at ABC for £57.25 inc delivery ;)

Just caught up with this thread and am shocked at the price increase at WE. I ordered a 77mm one just before Easter, arrived last week and cost £57.....

Back