Two Images, Same Day. Which Composition Do you prefer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 97794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 97794

One is mine, one is my partners, who is quite new to photography, but as I keep telling her, she's got a really good eye for composition. Mine is the slightly cliche'd leading line into the image and I prefer her take on this scene.

52193032355_3e8231a19e_k.jpg53515690280_ad90c8925f_k.jpg

The second image for me as well.
It's a combination of several aspects which lead me to prefer this;
  • The Tree is more prominent (and also positioned on a 'third', horizontally)
  • The Higher viewpoint shows the 'pattern' of rocks / grass better
  • The mid-ground hills are more visible, and are in sunlight
  • The cloudy sky is more interesting (compared to the block of blue at the top of the first image)

The second image for me as well.
It's a combination of several aspects which lead me to prefer this;
  • The Tree is more prominent (and also positioned on a 'third', horizontally)
  • The Higher viewpoint shows the 'pattern' of rocks / grass better
  • The mid-ground hills are more visible, and are in sunlight
  • The cloudy sky is more interesting (compared to the block of blue at the top of the first image)
Great analysis! Thank you!

I think the first image has merit in that the lead in lines from the limestone pavement but I would avoid having the tree right in the middle. I have been to this spot but only in the winter so no leaves on the tree. When I went there was a dark stormy sky but still sunlight on the tree. Clearly both images are attractive. Why do you need to choose between them?

Dave

I just wish I could do the same when I'm stood looking at a scene with camera in hand... :LOL:
You know how it is... I don't think she believes me when I tell her how good that image is, because my opinion is not exactly independent. You nailed all the critical improvements over my image.

Can only add that I prefer the second but would prefer it flipped so the tree is on the left side of the frame rather than the right. Possibly because I read left to right, MY preference (even for stationary objects!) is for the largest/tallest part of the subject to be on the left. However, I do appreciate that that's not how the scene looks!
A possible option of reframing the tree on the left is probably scuppered by the fact that that would lose the pair of hillocks in the middle distance.
I'd be happy with either though, TBH.

I prefer the first .....I couldn't really care about "rules" thirds and leading lines etc . If I like a shot I just like it . To me the first shot is just a picture of a tree .....a nice tree but just a tree . Where as the second I have a lot more to look at and I think the rocks texture and shape is just as interesting to look at than the tree . I definitely feel "more inside" the first image . It's definitely the one I would choose as a 4ft canvas on my wall

2nd for me. Good leading lines in the 1st that do exactly what they're supposed to do and take my attention to the tree but then my eyes start bouncing all over the rocks. The 2nd is a peaceful and relaxed composition where I can look at the tree calmly then settle on the background hills. They both have merit- neither is right or wrong. They merely approach the same subject from different perspectives. If I was there I'd probably take both shots-the first because I felt I should and the 2nd because I wanted to. If one went on the wall it would be the 2nd

If I was there I'd probably take both shots-the first because I felt I should and the 2nd because I wanted to. If one went on the wall it would be the 2nd
Yes, I've often thought I took my image following the usual rules of landscape photography, which is fine so long as you stay open minded. Some of my best images shouldn't work but they do.

I think the second really has it going on.

The second for me too. I find it better balanced. I’m rarely attracted to cliche images though as in the first.

I would have something in between #1 anbd #2!
The strong lines in #1 could be better used to move the eyes around the photo into the tree by being oblique and not so vertical in the shot. (The lines are largely lost in #2)

Last edited:
No. 1 because of the lead in, but would have chosen No. 2, if there had been more foreground.

Last edited:
It sounds like your partner has a fantastic natural understanding of composition. Encourage her to keep exploring her photography - she has a natural talent!

Not much in it for me but second would probably get the nod as I like the thirds composition better and the higher viewpoint gives a better look at the background hills. That higher viewpoint also means the tree doesn't have as good a separation as it has in the first image and the leading line in teh first image is stronger. I guess a thirds composition and if possible a viewpoint that split the difference with a strong leading line and also gave a decent look at the hills beyond to the left and right of the tree and also put the tree on a third would be the sweet point for me.

Back