Critique Ullswater yachts

I really like the boats, and the water (although I do feel there's a bit too much of the water, and you could lose some off the bottom), but I just feel there's more to be bought out of the wooded hills. More vibrancy.
I'm fairly dire at PP too, but there are some here who are very very good, and hopefully one of them will be along shortly. :)

quite a predictable central theme..the shot is divided into 4 parts
with the rh top quadrant as the focus i would crop to get a balance there
the water is attractive..which could have been made to look like that but for me the hill and its vegetation have more interest
cheers
geof

I really like this. I like it the way it is. I like the colour version.
Don't crop it, as you can see the full reflection of Dunmallard Hill in the lake.
I think the PP is great.

quite a predictable central theme..the shot is divided into 4 parts
with the rh top quadrant as the focus i would crop to get a balance there
the water is attractive..which could have been made to look like that but for me the hill and its vegetation have more interest
cheers
geof

Thanks for the feedback Geof! When you say the top right quadrant is the focus, do you think that's because the exposure/colour is different there? I might have a play in Photoshop to try and balance it a bit better.

I really like this. I like it the way it is. I like the colour version.
Don't crop it, as you can see the full reflection of Dunmallard Hill in the lake.
I think the PP is great.

Thanks Paul - I really want to keep the full reflection of Dunmallard hill (good spot!) in - the oval created by the hill and the reflection, with the boats as the centre point, is what caught my eye in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback Geof! When you say the top right quadrant is the focus, do you think that's because the exposure/colour is different there? I might have a play in Photoshop to try and balance it a bit better...

no, sorry...i meant the boats and the mount were the main items so i envisaged they would be better...imho...recomposed and this was the upper left quadrant

werty1 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

but i may have lost the open-ness trying to recompose the yachts on a 1/3

sorry

Yeah, not much I could do about the light this morning. I'll try and re visit on a clearer day, I was hoping for a nice sunrise after a 5am start!

Love the original.
Central horizon, great reflection, shimmering mast.
Bright red punchy focus.
Good planning and execution.

I'm DREADFUL at PP(?) Just can't make up my mind which way to move the sliders for exposure, contrast etc. I can go back and change an image a million times! Just NOT sure what to do first. Cropped and changed this one of my best mate quite a lot.
Probably loads of things that someone in the know would alter.

Why is her tongue a strange colour? Saw the same thing on another post today. It was a camera club blog and the president's(?) face had the same tinge to it.

View attachment 23095

Last edited:
Agree with Canon Togger re the conditions. Here's a square crop concentrating more on the interesting bits. Levels and curves adjusted to give a little more contrast. Reds knocked back in the boat and brought colours in the water out a shade. Better conditions/light needed really.

I was going to try a square crop, cheers for the constructive feedback! I'll revisit the scene on a nicer morning and try again

This was supposedly in the golden hour! I got there around sunrise. Shame it was so overcast.

This was supposedly in the golden hour! I got there around sunrise. Shame it was so overcast.

Grey miserable cloud. It happens 9/10 or even 99/100 times unless you plan hard in advance. I just follow the light or do something else if it is gloomy.

I would make it more of a letterbox by cropping the top a lot as I like the reflections in the water

Back