Underwater shots

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I'm off on a scuba diving holiday next month and I'm taking my new GoPro Hero3 with me (hope to see a shark or two). Any tips on underwater photography would be much appreciated.
Thanks
phil

I don't know where you are going and the conditions, but I can tell you this. My son does tons of scuba (just back from Scapa) and without a lighting rig you will find that the light soon goes as you get deeper. If you are on a fairly shallow reef you will probably have enough light to get some very pleasing shots. I look forward to seeing you're results

I'm off to Oman and will be no on more than 15 to 20 mtrs. I think I'll need a red colour correction filter, but can't find where to get one. Camera shops don't stock them, GoPro don't sell them (weird) and the ones on Friday ebay and Amazon don't have very good reviews!

Forget the filter Phil. Any correction can be made in PS or LR. In Oman you should have really strong sun light. At 10-15 metres you should be fine. you may wish to invest in a submersible torch, but not at 900 sobs my son paid!!

Go pros will be fine without a red filter at that depth. I've just got back from the Caribbean diving and that was all I used. A litre deeper then you're going was fine. Just remember a go pro is very wide. Bear in mind also you'll lose 3 stops of light (roughly depends a bit on conditions) for every 10 meters

Last edited:
Go pros will be fine without a red filter at that depth. I've just got back from the Caribbean diving and that was all I used. A litre deeper then you're going was fine. Just remember a go pro is very wide
Good point BFD. I think its a case of getting very close to the subject

View attachment 18404

Here is a shot from about 7mtrs down. Really crap shot, I know. And this is one of the good ones!! Good strong sunlight, but the colours are all a bit washed out. Even the fish tails are not as bright as they should be. They should be really vibrant at such a shallow depth.

Thanks for you input guys.

Here is a shot from about 7mtrs down. Really crap shot, I know. And this is one of the good ones!! Good strong sunlight, but the colours are all a bit washed out. Even the fish tails are not as bright as they should be. They should be really vibrant at such a shallow depth.

Thanks for you input guys.

You have problems in that shot that won't be solved be a red filter. Mainly caused by the lack of visibility, and the amount of suspended matter in the water.

Oh good, it's not me then hahah!
I'll need to back to Sharm sometime, it was excellent vis there, although Oman is usually pretty good, just not that day.
Thanks again.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes here but I just stumbled across this thread. I just took a quick screen grab (hence low quality) of your shot and did a couple of tweaks in PS. Colour balance, levels, re-crop, saturation. Took me 2 mins and I think you can already se the difference! So maybe you got some stuff that you can turn into some really good shots?
Hope this helps, if you want to know exactly what I did feel free to message me. :)

View attachment 18715

Wow, much better. Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have any editing software, so what you see is what I got.
I must invest!
Thanks again.

Back