universal lens adapter - where?

Edit My Images
Yes
I couldn't see a gear discussion section, only sales, so I'm posting here.

Are you aware of any tricks for saving money when buying gear?
I was planing on using a lens adapter for old olympia lenses from the 70's for a DSLR... but I can't find where I saw that now. Likewise, my plan also was to use a Outex waterproof case to save money further.

Have you any tips like that... or heard of the universal lens adapter?

SRB Griturn do adaptors to enable the use of most lenses on most bodies. I know Tamron use to do a range of lenses that could be fitted to any (or almost any) body with a selection of Adaptall adaptors.

And a quick wave of the magic wand .........................

A magic wand would come in useful for the OP's question too ;)
There's no such thing as a universal lens adaptor. Most manufacturers use lens mounts that are different from each other and incompatible, but you can buy specific adaptors to make most lenses work with most camera, but there are some exceptions which can't be adapted without losing infinity focus. I'm assuming you meant Olympus lenses not olympia, in which case you can but adaptors that will allow you to use them on most mirrorless systems (micro four-thirds, Fuji X etc) but probably not on DSLRs without losing infinity focus due to the lensmount-to-sensor distance being larger than the lensmount-to-film distance of the Olympus OM cameras.

I couldn't see a gear discussion section, only sales, so I'm posting here.

Are you aware of any tricks for saving money when buying gear?
I was planing on using a lens adapter for old olympia lenses from the 70's for a DSLR... but I can't find where I saw that now. Likewise, my plan also was to use a Outex waterproof case to save money further.

Have you any tips like that... or heard of the universal lens adapter?

Yes, you can use old manual Olympus lenses on DSLR's... depending upon what DSLR you have :D

I had a Canon 5D and I used my Olympus Zuiko lenses on it via a cheap adaprer off ebay. You can even get adapters that give you focus confirmation. I can't say if the lenses will work on other makes of DSLR, check before you buy :D

Here are examples of Zuiko to Canon eos adapters. Note that I'm not recommending these specific ones... I'm just showing examples so that you get the idea :D

Simple metal adapter...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lens-Adap...ns_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item25854a25c2

Adapter with focus confirmation...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Olymp...es_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item56502638ad

I didn't have any problems and my Olympus Zuiko lenses (28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and 135mm f3.5) focused to infinity and gave good image quality but in my opinion modern DSLR's aren't as manual focus friendly as old SLR's and other than for pseudo macro, hyperfocal and zone focusing I wouldn't bother with manual focus with a modern DSLR.

If you really want to use old manual lenses on a digital camera I'd recommend going for a compact system camera as these have the ability to magnify the view for precise focusing and some have focus peaking too. I've used manual lenses a lot on my Panasonic G1 and Sony A7.

I hope that helps :D

PS. As per Simon's post... I hope you meant "Olympus"?

Last edited:
Back