Unknown Orange Dragon Fly

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
Now Les you're spoiling us today with yet more beautifully caught images (y)

Thank you John, but what is it ??? :D

A little critter, a little beastie - how do you expect me to know I cant even tell the difference between a horse & a cow - anyway stop setting me tests that you know I'll fail :(

Very nice Les. I had a quick look at a couple of ID sites and maybe a yellow winged darter? I am completely pants at IDs though :exit:

Thank you John- Me too, I know most of the common species, but this one has me stumped Mate :runaway:

It's been tango'd :D
Lovely as always M ... You have been a busy boy eh

Sent from The Moon.....

I'm always Busy "B" Just carry my Camera and a lens or two everywhere I go :D

Thanks for the comments

Les ;)

Looks a little like a Broad Bodied Chaser although the base of the wings should be darker. Nice shots btw:)

Looks a little like a Broad Bodied Chaser although the base of the wings should be darker. Nice shots btw:)

Ah, thank you for the ID and your comments are most welcome Rhod, I thought Broad Bodied Chasers were Blue lol

Les ;)

THIS is the page I've found most useful for British Dragon/Damselfly ID.

Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) is you lost ID Les, wonderful couple of shots btw

Thank you Alby- it's a lovely colour and the 1st one I've seen let alone Photographed, 4 spots are a common sight on the Levels

Les ;)

possibly the Wandering Glider Male, from the site nod suggested. the problem is Les your colours are so brilliant that the ones on the id sites are not a comparison so its hard to match lol.

That's my wonderful photographically talented skills :p:p:p:p

Thank you Pete- as It's a first for me

Les ;)

Thanks Nod, I can't see the one I'm trying to ID though :D:D

I did have a quick look and didn't see it immediately but I was in the conservatory where I can't see pics that well! It's not on the main ID page, if you click on the names you get through to the page for the specific species which has shots of other stages and genders.

Not sure if you boost saturation in PP, Les but it can confuzzle when it comes to ID in insects. ;)

I did have a quick look and didn't see it immediately but I was in the conservatory where I can't see pics that well! It's not on the main ID page, if you click on the names you get through to the page for the specific species which has shots of other stages and genders.

Not sure if you boost saturation in PP, Les but it can confuzzle when it comes to ID in insects. ;)

No boost to Saturation, it is basically as shot- nice sunny morning though and this Dragon Really glowed against the green BG

Les ;)

Thanks Les for the comparison all the dragons look the same to me at the moment. I will learn but not about borders ;)

No worries Bryn, if you note there is NO BORDER on the 1st image, is your eyesight failing my friend :D:D:D:D

Les ;)

You are THE One and only B in my opinion T :D

Les couldn't resist telling you about T.'s big brothers ex SAS, 6'6" 20 stone of muscle, cage fighting champions, 11th Dan Black Belts in Mixed Martial Arts & if you upset her too much you have them to contend with not to mention me :p:p:p

Les couldn't resist telling you about T.'s big brothers ex SAS, 6'6" 20 stone of muscle, cage fighting champions, 11th Dan Black Belts in Mixed Martial Arts & if you upset her too much you have them to contend with not to mention me :p:p:p

It pays to have an adopted family hehe ;)

Sent from The Moon.....

all well and good - but I have a small collection of Shotgun's and Rifle's ;)

all well and good - but I have a small collection of Shotgun's and Rifle's ;)

Are you sure?

Have you checked them?

Are you sure the shot direction hasn't been reversed by me during the night - I'm a Ninja Warrior :geek:

Are you sure?

Have you checked them?

Are you sure the shot direction hasn't been reversed by me during the night - I'm a Ninja Warrior :geek:

Coffee warrior more like, trained in the noble art of Dojo Caffeine" :D and yes I check them every morning before work

No boost to Saturation, it is basically as shot- nice sunny morning though and this Dragon Really glowed against the green BG

Les ;)

Just checking! I know some people do mess with colours... Quite possibly very newly emerged which look brighter than older adults (fewer wrinkles!!!) and there's bound to be some variation between individuals too.

Just checking! I know some people do mess with colours... Quite possibly very newly emerged which look brighter than older adults (fewer wrinkles!!!) and there's bound to be some variation between individuals too.

@Nod it called PP & is a technique which requires huge levels of skill :p:p:p

Les Moxon's posted image is fairly accurate of the species at this early stage in their flight season. He may have applied a little extra colour saturation but not enough to look obvious.

It's an immature female Scarce Chaser, Libellula fulva.

They are on the Red List. Doing well but distributed in small areas. So you should report your sighting to the BDS British Dragonfly Society....

http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/content/simple-data-entry

I Admin a facebook group with many experts as members as well as those simply interested....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/561222590593478/

Lovely shot btw.
Les Moxon's posted image is fairly accurate of the species at this early stage in their flight season. He may have applied a little extra colour saturation but not enough to look obvious.

Thank you for the information Robin and your comments are appreciated ;) I have e mailed the Dragonfly image to British Dragonflies as you suggested with all relevant details

Les :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back