upgarade lens

Name
sam
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all, thinking of getting a lens to replace my canon 55-250 , bit of a budget,
so was looking at the canon 300 f4 lens, seen used for the £650 mark ,
this is for bird and wild life, you valued opions please.
thank you sam.

Its a good lens and it takes a 1.4TC very well and that gives you 420mm at f5.6 with IS but at the cost of AF speed, but not a high cost its just a bit slower IQ is still very good though.
I had one for a time but found the fixed focal length a bit of a bind so I bought the 100-400 Mk1, good, very flexible but a lot heavier than the 300 f4 and I invariably found I was using it at 400 so with hindsight I probably should have kept the 300 and the TC.
I don't know how much they are used but the 400 f5.6 is reputedly very good for birding on a budget( well its a lot cheaper than the 300 2.8 or the big whites) , fast AF but does not have IS.
It might be worth hiring before you buy just to see what suits

If a zoom is an option, it's worth considering something like the Sigma 150-600 contemporary for that sort of price area - seems incredibly popular with the bird/wildlife crowd and I've seen some stunning results.

I had a Sigma 150-500 but sold it in favour of a Sigma 50-500, it's a beast of a lens and extremely versatile.

Back