upgrade from 40D

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
I shall shortly be looking to upgrade my camera from a Canon 40D, however, after looking at the many cameras on offer I am struggling to see any real benefit of upgrading from my well used and loved 40D, I am tempted to go back the the 5D mk1 but don't really need FF, at one point I even looked a Nikon...until I picked one up :puke: totally confused now and would appreciate some opinions on other Canon cameras, particularly the 7D

The 40D was and still is a great camera. I upgraded from a 40D to a 6D mainly because I was fed up with the poor low light performance of the 40D.

The 7D was never particularly improved in terms of high ISO but did get a much improved focus system. I believe the 7Dmkii high ISO was improved a bit but still nothing like the 6D.

It really depends what type of photography you do and what you want out of your camera.

If you're shooting landscapes or still life in good light, there is probably no good reason to upgrade.

i shoot a lot of urban stuff, inside disused buildings and the like, 10-22 and 30mm lenses so low light performance probably reasonably important as, i love the 40D just thought i might be able to improve things a bit

If you want great low light performance then a 6D is the way to go, but ant E-FS lenses you have will now also need changing. I went from a 40D to a 6D, and am very pleased with the change, the 6D is astonishing in low light ( the upside of relatively low resolution on a FF sensor). if you want to keep your existing Canon lenses then a newer Canon crop sensor will give you better low light performance, but at low ISO the 40D can hold its own, so it may be less of an upgrade than it first appears.

If you have a decent compact tripod and can manage that within your shooting environment then an upgrade may not even be required!

If you want great low light performance then a 6D is the way to go, but ant E-FS lenses you have will now also need changing. I went from a 40D to a 6D, and am very pleased with the change, the 6D is astonishing in low light ( the upside of relatively low resolution on a FF sensor). if you want to keep your existing Canon lenses then a newer Canon crop sensor will give you better low light performance, but at low ISO the 40D can hold its own, so it may be less of an upgrade than it first appears.

If you have a decent compact tripod and can manage that within your shooting environment then an upgrade may not even be required!

hmm that's my thinking as well, can't really see anything to make me change either, might just see if i can pick up a lower count 40D

What count is your 40D? Just replacing your perfectly working 40D with another one doesn't really make sense to me.

Maybe either look at enhancing another area of your kit, or getting a backup camera. I've just picked up an EOS-M with 22m F2 lens for a really great price to use as a backup.

I recently went to a 70D from 40D (I also have a 6D)

That said if you only want an icremental improvement you could pick up a low count 50D for circa 200 notes

I went from a 40D to a 50D and in my opinion it wasn't really worth it.
I didn't keep the 50D long, just long enough that I could afford a 7D. ;)

Pick up something newer and you'll be able to print on at least 4X larger paper. And this is in addition to far better autofocus and high ISO noise. I don't know your needs though - you might only print a few 6x4" s a year in which case you really don't need anything new.

if you got gas and want to spend, then either get a film camera, or get a sigma dp, many weaknesses but great iq, makes a great second camera :)

Consider buying a 7d or 5d depend on what you shoot. 60 d also gives significant improvement from 40d.

Pick up something newer and you'll be able to print on at least 4X larger paper. And this is in addition to far better autofocus and high ISO noise. I don't know your needs though - you might only print a few 6x4" s a year in which case you really don't need anything new.

Not notice any real AF improvement on the 70D tbh - and you can print a 10mp image a lot bigger than 6x4 - I printed A0 from my 6mp 300D ... and noise no one who isn't a photographer cares - the main benefit of going newer is more cropability and higher iso availability imo

I went from a 40D to 7D before moving to Full Frame. The 7D is much better built, much higher specified, and IMO has approximately one-stop high-ISO advantage over the 40D. Pixel for pixel, ISO 400 to 1600 images appear similar, but the 7D has 80% more pixels, making things look noticeably cleaner at normal print/viewing sizes. Higher fps, vastly superior AF, bigger buffer, better LCD, micro-adjustment, and many more bells and whistles make the 7D a solid upgrade.

There is a much bigger gap in abilities between 40D and 7D then there is from 7D to 7D2.

Back