Upgrade from Nikon D50

Name
Liz
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my trusty Nikon D50 that I have had from new. I feel like the camera is beginning to show some limitations, in particular its performance in low light situations. I also have some annoying marks on the camera that, despite being professionally cleaned, still remain!

The lenses I have at the moment are:
Nikon 18-105mm AF-S VR
Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR
Nikon AF 50mm

Things I would be looking for in an upgrade would be better image quality, better performance in low light, and preferably a similar size and weight to the D50 (I realise this may be tricky!) I am not too bothered about video capabilites, I just want to be able to take good animal portraits and landscape pictures.

I have been toying with the D3200, but note that this does not have the internal motor that the D50 does. Also looked at the D5200 or 3300 (top end of budget!) but again they do not have the internal motor, but I am not sure how much of a problem this will be with the lenses I have??

Or my other option would be, wait a few months and get a d7000 second hand at a good price! :)

Out of the cameras mentioned above, which do you think would be a good upgrade from the D50? Any advice, greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Second hand d7000 would run you about £300-£350 so a similar price bracket as the ones you're looking at.

From the list of lenses, depending on what model the 50 is, the others don't need the in built motor so the d3200 would be fine but you may need a new 50 if it's one of the older nifties. Second hand around £100.

HTH's.
David.

Cheapest upgrade would be to a d80 or d90. Ok, so not the latest tech, but an upgrade. With similar look and feel to a d50 and no video and of course the internal motor you don't get with the 3••• or 5••• models.

D90 is a decent camera and has the motor. It is heavier but the D300 is cracking value 2nd hand and less that a D7000.

A D90 isn't a bad shout, especially if you find the top LCD screen really handy on the D50, they're under £200 second hand now and a useful increase in performance over the D50. The lower Nikon bodies don't have a top LCD any more...

Otherwise a D7000 would be rather nice if it fits in your budget.

Hello everyone, thanks for your replies.

I had contemplated the D90, but thought it wouldn't be much of an upgrade, but I will definitely put it back in the running! Will also check out the d300

@minnnt I think my nifty is an older version as it doesn't have the AF-S on it unfortunately.

The D300 has the same sensor as the D90 so image quality is the same and the D90 actually has some features the D300 doesn't and the D90 is more os a size you're used to.

However, the D300 is a pro build camera which means you get weather sealing, high FPS and a big hefty body.

Depends on what you'd prefer really.

Back