Upgrade help, impossible question?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m looking to update my camera body but no idea which way to go. I’m a low user amateur but enjoy getting out with the camera to chill out. I have no particular style I just shoot what I like. I‘m a Canon user so due to the few lenses I have I will probably stay with the brand. I currently have a 1diii and looking at the used Market, I’m thinking of a 1dx, 1dxii, 5diiii or should I bite the bullet and go mirrorless with a lens adapter? Help........

If you like the 1D3 you’ll love the 1DX or 1DX2. It’s everything the 1D3 is but turned up to 12.

If you don’t need such a heavy or robust body, the 5D is a fine camera as well.
I like the size of the 1d but it is a heavy unit after a while hence throwing the 5diiii in there

The 1D series is quite a heft to be carting around for casual use imo, even the 5D series is a hefty thing. However, if you're used to it and happy carrying it around then the 1Dx2 would be a good option.

The R5 and R6 would be a good option if you want smaller and lighter and some of the new fangled tech.

It really depends on your priorities; do you want the image quality, speed and focus of the 1d series, or do you want the build quality and ergonomics.

If it’s the former, get an R6 it’s a bargain.

If it’s the latter, only a newer 1 series will do the job.

What do you feel is holding you back with your current body?

What do you feel is holding you back with your current body?
Probably low light iso quality, I’ve had my current camera for about 8 years and with the advancement in technology I just thought I’d look at upgrading

Probably low light iso quality, I’ve had my current camera for about 8 years and with the advancement in technology I just thought I’d look at upgrading
Personally if I was upgrading now I'd look at mirrorless, the advancement in tech has taken them past DSLR in a number of areas, however this will all be dependant on the user and uses as some of this new tech may be irrelevant. Here you can see that modern cameras have improved a lot over the 1Diii in ISO and dynamic range. The 1Dxii and R6 are quite similar, and then I've included a curve ball in the Sony A7 IV as Canon glass adapts well to Sony.

Screenshot 2022-10-14 at 07.42.33.jpeg
Screenshot 2022-10-14 at 07.43.28.jpeg

Looking at this the R6 does perform better than the 1Dxii in extreme ISO, but you have to go up to 12800-25600 iso to really start seeing any difference so I'd imagine in the real world you'd not see any difference.
Screenshot 2022-10-14 at 07.58.26.jpg

Last edited:
Back