Upgrade to Nikon

Name
Sophie
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm still fairly new to photography, I've had my Canon 1000d for about 3 years now, it was my first DSLR and feel I have learnt the basics from it. I have a 50mm lens, an 18-55 and a Sigma 70-300mm. I was getting the itch to upgrade about a year ago but decided to persevere with it...and now I think the time has come. I feel restricted with it overall and would just like a newer model, something I can grow into.

I've been looking at some Nikon models but can't decide between the D3200 or D5200. I was even looking at the infamous D90 but realised I'd probably outgrow this too soon as well. I don't have a huge budget and the d5200 will be a stretch and as far as I can see it's only really better if you're doing a lot of video shooting? Most of my photography consists of urban style, landscapes/nature.

Can anyone help an "advanced beginner"?! :)

as you have canon lenses then why not stay with canon look at the 70d or even 700d

Well the sigma lens is on long lease from a family member so it's not mine as such and the other 2 lenses are cheap and cheerful so I don't mind selling them and investing in others, but I will have a look at those canon models. Thanks.

I think the D90 would be regarded as a bigger upgrade than a 3200 or 5200, although it is older it is more of a prosumer model than the other two. I would look again, it is a great bit of kit.

Around £300-£500 for a good secondhand kit.

Keep an eye out for a d7000 may just get one in budget

is your budget just for camera body ?
how about keeping 1000d and upgrading your lenses .

d7000 + tamron 17-50 used maybe in your budget.

Why switch to Nikon? Just upgrade to another Canon so you don't have to start all over again with lenses. What advantage do you think Nikon will give you?

Seems stupid to me. People take pictures, not cameras. In what way is your current camera letting you down?

I have a friend selling his d7100 for £500 but I'm not sure if it may be a little too advanced for me, I don't want to be baffled with lots of camera features. I did think about keeping the 1000d but you can get so much more for your money these days and I would really like a sound base to start from before I start investing in expensive lenses.

I also used to work for the owner of MPB Photographic's father, so I know I could probably get a good deal from there too! ;D

Why switch to Nikon? Just upgrade to another Canon so you don't have to start all over again with lenses. What advantage do you think Nikon will give you?

Seems stupid to me. People take pictures, not cameras. In what way is your current camera letting you down?

I only have 2 lenses really, the 18-55 which it came with and that I havent used in ages, and the 50mm which only cost me £50, so I'm not losing much by selling my Canon. I would just like a kit that packs more of a punch.

Why would a Nikon pack more of a punch?

If you just want new toys.. fine... nothing wrong with that, but if you actually think this will improve your photography, you need to work out what you think you're missing out on. In what way does your current camera let you down?

Would you not be better off investing in lenses and not cameras?

In what way does your current camera let you down?
This should be a mandatory question for everybody who wants advice about upgrading. Unless you are bumping up again a specific limitation of your camera, upgrading it won't benefit you.
Would you not be better off investing in lenses and not cameras?
This too. Better lenses will almost always have a bigger impact on your photography than a better camera.

I think the D90 would be regarded as a bigger upgrade than a 3200 or 5200, although it is older it is more of a prosumer model than the other two. I would look again, it is a great bit of kit.

Sorry but the 5200 beats the 90. Yes your restricted by the lenses but the tech is far better

Back