Upgrade?

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Would I notice much difference if i changed my 350d for a 20d?
Would it be considered much of an upgrade and if so what would be the noticeable improvements?

Also, does anyone have any opinions or experience of the Fuji S3, good or bad?

• Frame rate: ~3 fps to 5 fps
  • Better autofocus overall
  • High-precision centre focus point, which supposedly achieves up to 3 times the standard focusing precision when used with EF lenses featuring maximum apertures larger than or equal to f/2.8
  • Max ISO is 3200 whereas it's 1600 on a 350D

In terms of absolute image quality at similar ISO's however, you should expect it to be more or less the same: both have 8 megapixels but the sensors are allegedly different.

Here is a good article with a further comparison:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos_digital_rebel_xt_vs_20d.html

I can't tell you anything about Canon cameras but SLRs in general.

1. Is there anything that you want to do that you can't do with your current camera body that upgrading will give you?
  2. Is there anything that you do now that will be improved by the upgrade.
  3. Are you looking for a spare body? If not how much will you get for your old camera body and how much for the new body?
  4. You may find that the same outlay would give you a new lens which would hold its value much better than a camera body.

I had a D200 which I got just before the D300 came out. The D300 has a few advantages but the cost of upgrading would pay for a nice lens. I only upgraded in the end due to wanting to jump to FF.

You'd notice a difference in the way they handle, the 20D would feel more substantial and I'd prefer that.

But I also doubt that you'd see any real improvement in image quality. Having said that, if the cost to you is small then I'd probably do it anyway. It's always nice to get your hands on a new camera :)

Thanks for the answers guys.

The money side of it would actually make me money as the camera comes with 3 lenses which I don't have a need for, and along with getting rid of some of my other bits, would leave me about £300 up. And this would obviously buy me a few nice bits!;)

From what I've been reading about the 20d, it has a better auto focus system, higher shutter rate and ISO, 5 fps instead of 3 fps, the nice thumb wheel on the back, the same resolution as my 350d so no loss there, a bit bigger which wouldn't be a bad thing for me.

Taking all that into consideration it seems a bit of a no-brainer.(y)

Not a big differnce between 350D and 20D. You may think of 40D or 50D.

S3 Pro is great. But you need to change all your lens to Nikon F-mount. It is strong on controlling photography, but it is also bulky and slow.

You'd notice a difference in the way they handle, the 20D would feel more substantial and I'd prefer that.

:plus1: but of course that depends on your hands - some people prefer xxxd size range v xx size. I upgraded from xxxd to xxd for that reason.

If you do it I think you would prefer the round control wheelie thing on the back - to use the technical term - it makes it faster and easier to change settings for me.

Back