Upgrading from 1000d

Name
Charlie
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening folks,

I currently have a 1000d with the standard 18-55mm kit lens, a 70-300mm and a f/1.8 50mm. I also have a dedicated flash gun. With this set up I have been thoroughly enjoying photography and the results for the past 5 years. However, I am now considering upgrading the body.

It's not that I don't like the 1000d it's just that I find it limiting in certain areas, the ISO can only reach a maximum of 1600 which I find limits the faster shutter I can achieve in low light, even trying to fix under exposed raws in post seems like trying to save the unsaveable. I also find that the limited number of af points means that sometimes I don't achieve that one off shot when the time comes.

My question really is what would you recommend as the best option for a new body. I'm looking at a budget hopefully below a grand, and I'm happy to go second hand. Is the full frame worth it? Otherwise which APS C size sensor camera?

Cheers, Charlie.

With that budget and the fact you don't mind going second hand, I would be looking at a 70D personally.

I love the flip out screen on my 600D, the movie AF is excellent, it shares the same phase detect excellent focus system as the 7D. It's what I'm looking at for my next body and im very impressed with what I've seen so far. As long as you don't need /want weather proofing, it's a serious contender.

In regards to FF, I personally have never used a FF but it's a decision based on image quality and angle of view. I don't have the need for that sort of quality or AoV to warrant the expense of a modern FF.

Last edited:
Under a grand would get you a brand new 70d.... no need to upgrade lenses either. Could pick up secondhand 6d but would have to sell on current lenses. Try get one with kit lens.

Thank you for the advice, I will go and handle a 70d soon. Would a 70d be a better choice over a 7d in most opinions, what with it being that bit newer it has a more recent processor etc?

Wouldnt touch a 7d right now as the mkII being immenant... price will drop rapidly when it comes out.

But there are lots of threads on your question and depending on use.

I've had a 70d for a couple of months now and have to say I love it. Spent ages going through all the reviews looking at the 700d/70d/7d and found the extras on the 70d well worth it. The ISO performance has been great with useable results right upto 12800! Go and have a play with them and see what your comfortable with.

I would suggest maybe going for a second hand 60d, and then using the rest to upgrade your lenses. You will see a great improvement by upgrading your lenses e.g. You could get:
Canon 60d
Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC
Canon 70-200 f4L

For we'll under your budget with a few hundred pounds left. You could then use this for this like a flash gun, Tripod etc if you don't already have these

I went from a 1000D to a used 60D. I had kit lenses with the 1000 as sold it with them, because that's how I bought it and it made it more sellable. What I did was get the 60D body and still used to lenses from the 1000D kit until I sold the 1000D kit. Then with the money I bought a new tamron 17-50 f2.8 non vc and a used canon 55-250 off someone on tp.

I think when you upgrade don't bother with the hundred series cameras, skip a level and go for the 60D or 70D.

If you get the 60D you will notice sooooo much difference. Then rotating live mode screen is a god send for low or high level stuff.

Keep us posted.

Back