Upgrading Nikon body?

Name
Samantha
Edit My Images
Yes
I purchased a D40 back in May for my birthday and already feel like I am ready to upgrade :eek:
I LOVE photography, have started an evening course at college and really feel at home with the Nikon system, I really love this camera and enjoy using it but feel like if I had done more research I would of realised it was not that versatile when it comes to lenses, so am thinking of upgrading to a D90 (have a lovely 50mm lens that I struggle to manually focus)

What is the best way to do this? Do the likes of Jessops offer part-exchange to trade-up? It would only be the body I presume.

Hope this is in the right forum place, apologies if it is not xx

If you're sure you're ready to upgrade the body, I would suggest selling your camera privately either on here (although you need 100 posts / 30day membership to do so) or via Ebay or the like. You're likely to get more doing it this way than in PX.

I have the D90 and its a great camera, have you checked out

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat4.html

Just a tip if you are going to sell, then you are usually better off if you sell the camera privately, either on a forum's classified section (such as this - after 100 posts and 30 days membership), on ebay or to a friend. I'd recommend the classifieds, because retailers will have to offer a low price to you in order to make money when they sell it on.

[Beaten to it!]

I would also check out DigitalDepot, user here or the website here. Stuart offers great prices on gear to the members here, so PM him here.

:)

Thanks for the info, those websites are great and offering far better prices than anything I have seen anywhere else on the web :) Just need to start saving now!! Hopefully get one by next spring :)

The other option is to keep the D40 as a second body. Depends what kind of stuff you want to do though, but I find when I do airshows I could really do with a second body so I don't have to swap lenses so much, but then I like having a big long prime as an option, which means needing another lens :D

But then the D40 still has that AF-S lens limit.

The other option is to keep the D40 as a second body. Depends what kind of stuff you want to do though, but I find when I do airshows I could really do with a second body so I don't have to swap lenses so much, but then I like having a big long prime as an option, which means needing another lens :D

But then the D40 still has that AF-S lens limit.

Thank you for the advice but not really an option for me, I just couldnt justify owning 2 - think my husband would divorce me! :LOL::LOL:

Another one here for selling the D40 privately! Shops will not give you anywhere near as much as they need to add vat when selling, make a profit and cover the occasional camera that they resells that might break. Enjoy the forum over the next few weeks and join in with a few threads. You will soon have enough posts and then upgrade. The D90 is a big jump with quick access to more options to give you that bit more creativity.

Thank you everyone for your good advice, it will be at least 5/6months before I can afford to upgrade it so expect I will be a fully fledged member of the forum by then :)

One reason for keeping the D40 is the flash synch speed. With TTL flash it is 1/500 sec but if you use a non TTL flash it will synch at speeds up to 1/4000 sec !

One reason for keeping the D40 is the flash synch speed. With TTL flash it is 1/500 sec but if you use a non TTL flash it will synch at speeds up to 1/4000 sec !

I am a complete beginner and do not have any idea what that all means :thinking: Sorry! Keeping the D40 is not an option though, I do love the camera but I simply cant afford to own 2 cameras and I think in the long run, the D90 will be more versatile for me :)

I am a complete beginner and do not have any idea what that all means :thinking: Sorry! Keeping the D40 is not an option though, I do love the camera but I simply cant afford to own 2 cameras and I think in the long run, the D90 will be more versatile for me :)

Well whatever you decide, stick around...welcome BTW

D90 is a good camera, although I do like my new D300. Like others here, suggest you build up posts and sell on here - then look for d90 or d300 either used on here or new - can also strongly recommend Digital Depot.

Thank you very much, everyone has been so kind and helpful and certainly made me feel welcome :) x

Back