Urban Light Trail

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Snapped this one just by chance and quite liked it, so thought I would post it for comments.

I like the way the rough brickwork is lit up by the orange street light glow, but could do with toning down the actual street light as I find it distracting.

This is straight from the camera with no PP so feel free to edit and play how you see fit. (y)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78100096@N04/7527982874

Last edited:
If you grab the BBCode you can just post it on the forum (y)

Urban Light Trail by Tonks4x4, on Flickr

Have done it for you this time (y) saves having to click on links away from the forum (y)

As a photo to be honest it's not doing all that much for me I think it could be improved by fixing the white balance but the composition is just not really exciting me :(

Matt
MWHCVT

Sodium Arc lighting is no one's friend. The lamppost in the middle of the shot ruins what could have been interesting.

Brian,

I think that's one for the recycle bin mate...

Light trails can be really interesting but you need to compose them right just like anything. There's a lot in the way there. My advice is to try and get yourself on a bridge or a clear highway/main road and have a play again :)

Nice second shot - what settings on this one please?

That second one is not bad but at the same time it's not great :( it's mainly the location that is letting you down here street lights will never give the best results and the gantry really kills it for me :(

Please give my guide to light trails a read and let me know if you've got any questions I'll be happy to help where I can (y)

One of the hardest things I have found in night trails is finding somewhere that doesn't have lampposts, gantries and other road furniture (yes it's really called that).

Settings were

F14
ISO 100
30 Seconds shutter opening
Focal Length 58mm

I will give your light trails thread a read, thanks for your input....

Sorry to hijack the thread - Matthew I am in Glasgow - I have found a few places in around the city and outskirts but anywhere you can recommend would be good.

Well Stephen actually in Glasgow there is one urban one on the trails map at Charing Cross http://www.flickr.com/photos/54513535@N02/5206169185/ also on the map with have a few good locations to the south east of Glasgow you can see on the map

[MAP]maps/ms?msid=206687680501379381357.0004988251883aef3f26c&msa=0[/MAP]

Matt

I think think that first one is quite interesting. It's a shame the street light interrupts your light trail, but you're right. It lights up the right hand wall nicely. It looks french art-house to me. If it were me, I'd probably crop a bit off the left and off the bottom.

Last edited:
I've shot that Charing Cross one a few times as it's about 2 minutes walk from work. If I can ever get my desktop computer up and running again after a house move I'll try and dig out my versions and ones of the Mitchell library which is almost the same location but looking south rather than north as the Flickr one you have linked to is.

Thanks again

Back