urgent help required

Status
Not open for further replies.
...........has twenty CCTV cameras.

Shouldn't take long for the Real Police to sort this one out.

you'd think so with CCTV wouldn't you..?..:LOL:

let me tell you about being ''positively identified' by 2 garage attendants at a £70 fuel drive-off,
and being told by the investigating officer ''I'm 99% sure it was you now I've met you''

BTW... my Vectra taxi [fully plated] and me ...were at home....:bang:

and the suspect vehicle was not a taxi, had different reg plates and mag wheels.....:razz:

For the guy that said that a forum regular should be able to stand up to two coppers and tell them where the law stands, I'm gonna assume that the two of them are fairly young and probably still, like me at that age, respectful of authority (there are still some) and a little scared. ...Although they are from southampton :exit: :yv:

I think 5 or 8 years ago in the same situation I would probably have handed over the kit. Now-a-days I have a lot more self-confidence and would have respectfully told them where to stick it.

agree with some of the others on here that the whole thing has been made up. too many holes

JSER said:
Give a reason

I might if you ask nicely.

Manners.

Also nothing about this on Hampshire Constabularys web site. They would have put out an appeal and warning immediately if this really happened.

Last edited:
Is the security guard still working at the same store? Was he actually working there in the first place?

What would amze me is if anyone ever, ever handed anything to any police at any time, surely you would need to be arrested taken to the police station where you would be booked in and hand your property over, no one with an IQ above 20 would surely hand property to anyone in the street, I don't care if they were dressed as the police were the police or anyone, over my dead body anyway.

Surely the store would notice a gaurd that they didn't employ standing day the door all day? So he has to be real?

If they were fake police why did they not get upset with the OP as well? Either to try ad steal two cameras or encase he had photographs of them?

It might be the police trying to cover there encomptance by saying the numbers are fake, but I think that is highly unlikely.

a very strange story.

Surely the store would notice a gaurd that they didn't employ standing day the door all day? So he has to be real?

This isn't very clear. The OP said 'A security guard from one of the shops came out'. This could have been a guard working in one of the shops, but it could just as easily have been a man wearing a uniform who walked out of a shop, giving the impression that he worked there. The staff might have assumed he was a customer while he was inside, or may not even have noticed him?

If what the OP says is true (and I've no reason to doubt him) then it seems to me the local police need to inform the public and advise them what steps to take in future if approached.
By not warning the public they are in a way assisting the theives to carry on.
The fact that people dressed in police uniform could walk around a busy town centre without getting challened by the real police also suggests they are not doing a great job of policing it.

it did mate i was there

admit i wasnt there fior the whole thing but i was at the end and the security man was still in the shop working when we left.

my friend is on the phone as we speak to the station as i type.

he seems calm on the phone so im hoping its going well

The securtiy aurd stuck around.

Then again everybody assumes the criminals are Proffesor Moriarty.

It could be as simple as a bent securtiy graud called a couple of his mates dressed as cops. In which case the case should be solved very quickly assuming the security gaurd has not done a runner.

Stuart

Last edited:
What would amze me is if anyone ever, ever handed anything to any police at any time, surely you would need to be arrested taken to the police station where you would be booked in and hand your property over, no one with an IQ above 20 would surely hand property to anyone in the street, .

I once handed over my half drank can of Super Brew to a nice officer, no receipt, not even a thank you.

i know that we should take the op at face value but the story just reeks of a wind up. Of course if the OP wanted to show us a photo of the ticket his friend got then it would prove those of us who are doubters to be wrong and we'd apologise profusely.

Why should he have to do that you might ask. He shouldn't and doesn't, but if he wanted to, he could (y)

I suppose you have to believe that some people are thick enough to hand over gear and be pushed about by people who claim to be the law, or are police/security who really have NO idea of the law themselves, after all you still get idiotic progs like "Rip off britain" on BBC with the antique Angela Rippon complaining that some naieve amoeba has handed thousands to con artists asking for money, others still hand over bank details, these fools will always exist.

Next you will hear that there are still dipsticks who send money to people who send a letter saying "you have wone £50,000 just send us an admin fee of £50" DUH :wacky:

If it isn't genuine I would like to be in on the call to the Insurance compant...

"well he told me he was an official, he had a uniform so I gave him my camera, oh and car keys, wallet, house keys ........"

Last edited:
Your empathy for others seemingly knows no bounds Jeremy.

I suppose you have to believe that some people are thick enough to hand over gear and be pushed about by people who claim to be the law, or are police/security who really have NO idea of the law themselves, after all you still get idiotic progs like "Rip off britain" on BBC with the antique Angela Rippon complaining that some naieve **** has handed thousands to con artists asking for money, others still hand over bank details, these fools will always exist.

Hardly fools. Con men tend to be very very plausible indeed and not everyone has it in them to stand up to an authority figure.

JSER said:
I suppose you have to believe that some people are thick enough to hand over gear and be pushed about by people who claim to be the law, or are police/security who really have NO idea of the law themselves, after all you still get idiotic progs like "Rip off britain" on BBC with the antique Angela Rippon complaining that some naieve amoeba has handed thousands to con artists asking for money, others still hand over bank details, these fools will always exist.

Next you will hear that there are still dipsticks who send money to people who send a letter saying "you have wone £50,000 just send us an admin fee of £50" DUH :wacky:

If it isn't genuine I would like to be in on the call to the Insurance compant...

"well he told me he was an official, he had a uniform so I gave him my camera, oh and car keys, wallet, house keys ........"

But I don't think anyone handed anything over. As I said, no appeal or press release or warning from Hants constabulary and believe me, they would have issued one straight away.

And by the way, your attitude towards others stinks.

Last edited:
But I don't think anyone handed anything over. As I said, no appeal or press release or warning from Hants constabulary and believe me, they would have issued one straight away.

And by the way, your attitude towards otters stinks.

poor otters they always get picked on???:LOL::LOL:

spike

What happened to innocent til proven guilty? We will have to wait and see if the op has or hasn't made it up.

I am shocked at the attitude of some on the thread, lets how they don't have a turn of bad luck and come here looking for some sympathy.

Also where it sounds like it happened isn't actually west quay but the retail park opposite.

I must confess there isn't a great deal to photograph there but each to there own.

Last edited:

I have to agree about the otters though. The way they swim around like they are gods gift to mammals really annoys me.

I retail park would make more sense because if you where predending to be a security gaurd, everyshop manager would assume you where working for another shop, or the park itself.

Your empathy for others seemingly knows no bounds Jeremy.

If you have read(as I am sure you have) my other similar posts you know only too well that I am controversial and tongue in cheek.

First of all it gives others something to talk about, if nothing I am not boaring.

Secondly, come on, if you yourself had said to me you got home to find a thief had broken into your home and stolen things I would have EVERY sympathy, yes I would, had you told me you had left a window open then more fool you.

Same reply to odd jim

Last edited:
What happened to innocent til proven guilty? We will have to wait and see if the op has or hasn't made it up.

I am shocked at the attitude of some on the thread, lets how they don't have a turn of bad luck and come here looking for some sympathy.

Also where it sounds like it happened isn't actually west quay but the retail park opposite.

I must confess there isn't a great deal to photograph there but each to there own.

100% agree and I have said that in not so many worrds, what also concerns me is that genuine people who may have wanted to post a genuine story may now be put off by others inconsideration.

But then you have always hed a chip on your sholder about me as per your other replies to my posts.

Oh and I LIKE Otters by the way.

SpikeK6 said:
poor otters they always get picked on???:LOL::LOL:

spike

Ha ha, well spotted, damn iPhone!

But I don't think anyone handed anything over. .

original post

he explained that he does not need permission and the police took his camera as evidence as they beleive he has pictures of them on the sd card and they stated that it is illegal to take pics of the police , so they are taken his camera as evidence.

I thought something was handed over

JSER said:
But then you have always hed a chip on your sholder about me as per your other replies to my posts.

Oh and I LIKE Otters by the way.

I don't have a chip on my shoulders about you at all, I never give that a thought... I just think you should practice what you preach, ie, tolerance and manners.

Im glad you like otters too, must say they do have a bad rep on here...

I retail park would make more sense because if you where predending to be a security gaurd, everyshop manager would assume you where working for another shop, or the park itself.

Quite. The original post suggested that the guard was working at one of the shops, but it wasn't clear, and he may have just come out of a store without having any connection to it. That's why I asked if he was still there. It would seem to be an obvious point for the police to start making enquiries.

JSER said:
original post

he explained that he does not need permission and the police took his camera as evidence as they beleive he has pictures of them on the sd card and they stated that it is illegal to take pics of the police , so they are taken his camera as evidence.

I thought something was handed over

Only if you believe the story.

JSER said:
100% agree and I have said that in not so many worrds, what also concerns me is that genuine people who may have wanted to post a genuine story may now be put off by others inconsideration.

Unfortunately I think calling people thick for doing what a police officer requests is also not helpful. I was discussing this with the wife last night and she was requested to delete some photos when she was in west quay she had taken some shots of our daughter and a security guard came over saying it was due to terrorist threats. Just as well I want there, but as she had the kids with her she did it.

I am sure that a lot of people would do exactly what the ops friend did, it is very ready to say you wouldn't but when you are in that position out can be very different.

Also the wife said why didn't he just give them the memory card. Again very good point but again easily said when not in the situation.

Unfortunately I think calling people thick for doing what a police officer requests is also not helpful. I was discussing this with the wife last night and she was requested to delete some photos when she was in west quay she had taken some shots of our daughter and a security guard came over saying it was due to terrorist threats. Just as well I want there, but as she had the kids with her she did it.

I am sure that a lot of people would do exactly what the ops friend did, it is very ready to say you wouldn't but when you are in that position out can be very different.

I have been in that position, and I said "arrest me, go on, do it, call the Police, I will stand here till you do, to a security guard in Camberley, Surrey where my elderly father lives, he stormed off never to be see again"

And for the benefit of others....

I am polite, have a great respect for the law and the Police as all Tavistock Police will confirm I know them all personally, it is a small town, but I will not be spoken down to, or rudely, when I am treated with decency I resipricate.

As I stated on an earlier post I was stopped at a young age, about 16 taking photographs in Camberley (Praktica Super TL and f2.8 Tessar lens) by an officious young PC who wanted to know what I was doing and why, he said I could be going to "rob a jewelers", and that I could be taking photographs to work things out, I was 16, that was 1972!, I have never forgotten that and have ever since known my (certain) rights and stand up for myself.

Last edited:
If you have read(as I am sure you have) my other similar posts you know only too well that I am controversial and tongue in cheek.

First of all it gives others something to talk about, if nothing I am not boaring.

Secondly, come on, if you yourself had said to me you got home to find a thief had broken into your home and stolen things I would have EVERY sympathy, yes I would, had you told me you had left a window open then more fool you.

Same reply to odd jim

Firstly Jeremy, your posts don't convey any tongue in cheekness. Maybe you should consider the use of smilies/emoticons in them. ;)

Secondly, people make mistakes and many are naive, questioning their IQ and calling them thick serves no purpose other than to make you look smug and aloof.

JSER said:
I have been in that position, and I said "arrest me, go on, do it, call the Police, I will stand here till you do, to a security guard in Camberley, Surrey where my elderly father lives, he stormed off never to be see again"

But that is not the police. I would have a different answer to a security guard than a police officer.

The OP said it was near Staples, which is located at 'West Quay Retail Village', the bit opposite is also West Quay as it's fronted by West Quay Road.

If the OP was opposite Staples, there's a pub called the 'Quayside' which AFAIK has plenty of cctv (not been there for a while :( ).

In any case plod would have covered this angle, all begining to sound a bit vague though :|

Forgot to say I have a contact at the local radio station 'Wave 105', they would certainly run the story. They didn't............

In any case plod would have covered this angle, all begining to sound a bit vague though :|

To be fair, that's only because the OP has been hung, drawn, and quartered by several members without actually having opportunity to update.

It may well be a load of old tosh (and I have a theory as to why if it is), but that's *if*.

At least give the guy chance to update the thread. That is, if he can reach his keyboard after others have finished stringing him up already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back