Beginner Urquhart Castle

Name
Barrie
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I'm on my holidays up in Bonnie Scotland at the moment and we visited Urquhart castle today on the banks of loch ness the weather has been stunning and I grabbed a few shots so I tentatively open them for scrutiny as its the only way I'll learn so advice is welcomed as is critique and if you can show me a better way then please do

Urquhart Castle-2233.jpg by Barrie Woodward, on Flickr

Urquhart Castle-2227.jpg by Barrie Woodward, on Flickr

I thought I'd try a shot out over the waters of the loch as well

Urquhart Castle-2212.jpg by Barrie Woodward, on Flickr

Last edited:
I agree with Stuart that no 2 is the pick of the three, but wondering why it is the only one to be spoilt by your logo at bottom left? It looks like the guy is balancing on the deer antlers, so it kind of takes away from the photo. Getting the bluebells in on the right was good.

#3 is shot at the wrong time of day or wrong light conditions. It has potential with softer light and perhaps more clouds. Although having said that a longer exposure may have added some drama :) (i.e. try your big stopper out!!). Agree with the others #2 is nice :)

Thanks all I appreciate your advice

Yeh was heavy handed with the logo have now reduced the opacity so hopefully it won't happen again.
As for shot 3 had stupid loch boat doing trips from jetty just to my left out of shot so I made a quick grab to try it out the style as for time of day out of my control due to visiting with family and castle only being open during harsh light times
Regarding the composition thanks it's something I struggle with, with animals I find I have a natural compass to what I want and need from a shot which is why I'm trying something new to challenge myself and I'm enjoying it immensely but I'm an old f*rt and I learn best by doing and trying and value advice and input from you guys I saw the bluebells and thought they would add a little something to the shot

So I've fixed the logo (hopefully) and straightened the horizon in pic three just for the exercise even though its not a great shot as you guys have rightly pointed out but I hadn't seen the horizon was out until the grid overlay was there and then I could see it so thank you and as I now know how to change it I may check a little more in-future

First the fixed logo
Urquhart Castle-2227.jpg by Barrie Woodward, on Flickr

And the Straight horizon
Urquhart Castle-2212.jpg by Barrie Woodward, on Flickr

Back