US Storms

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I was on my annual trip to the US in May.Here are some photos from that trip. I'll create two posts to cover the best.

Sunset on a supercell.Taken in Nebraska on the border with Kansas-It was 60 miles away in Kansas. The second photo is a close of the turbulence (updraught) within that storm.
34f1jk1.jpg

erjs6f.jpg

Supercell.Wood River Nebraska. You can just see the moon bottom right.This is what's amazing about the storms-clear skies around them unlike here where it's usually a full grey or black sky.
rvfvhz.jpg

This was taken with a Canon 15mm fisheye and shows cloud to cloud lightning.
Also Nebraska.
2iucp55.jpg

Taken at Ericson NB.
2qb6nmd.jpg

Sunset on a supercell.Greeley Center NB.
15y5iv.jpg

great stuff!
i loved the storm chasers series, but these show the supercell and updrafts so much better (y)

Cracking set, did you use a trigger on the lightning shots or just a long exposure?

Many thanks. It's easy to become addicted to these trips - I'm planning on a trip to Arizona next year-the monsoon season with all it's fantastic lightning in the deserts and canyons.I just find lightning fantastic to watch and photograph.

Chris..I just use a remote on bulb and take it from there.The two lenses I use are the 24-105 and the 70-200f4 depending on the distance ..the camera is the 5D11.

Steve-(or anyone) just let me know if you want any full size,you're more than welcome.I've had similar requests before and it's no problem,I'm happy to share them.

Forgot the mono question. I'll do one now and see and get back in a mo.

Last edited:
I'd never have thought of that. When you mentioned it,I didn't think it would work ,especially for the second one as the sunset colour was a major part of the experience but somehow they do.Thanks.

Cumulonimbus clouds and sunsets, you just can't go wrong with them. I, too, would love to experience life inside a multicelled storm. Maybe one day I'll get over my fear of flying and get myself over there. Odd that I don't like planes but I'm quite happy to get struck by lightning!
Anyway, that is a lovely round of storm-related photos. Personally I prefer the colour versions because it shows off the sunset hues better, if you know what I mean.

Cheers John & Ian.I thought this thread had run it's course so apologies for the delay in responding.

Someone else I spoke to re. the US trips said the same- love to go but feared the flight.

I agree re. the colours too but the B&W worked, I didn't think it would. Sunsets on these storms are magical.

Back