Useful Courier for selling

Edit My Images
No
I notice a lot of you guys are trusting royal mail with your gear, just letting you know that www.parcel2go.com can take an average body and few lenses etc insured (they use DHL and Citylink) for around £10
May help some of you, better still they collect from your home or place of work, all tracked and signed for electronically.
No account needed and they take paypal

I've been looking into these 3rd party courier companies such as P2G and Interparcel and whilst it's all good and well paying a bit less and the goods possibly taking a little longer to arrive, the insurance offered really isn't worth the e-paper it's e-written on.

I accept that people are far more likely to take the effort to rant when they have a complaint than praise good service, but a quick google really does make the process of a claim sound like the proverbial blood from a stone situation.

For up to 2kg I think RM special delivery is unbeatable , no waiting about for a courier to collect then ages on the phone when they don't turn up plus the receiver knows it'll be there before 1pm so they're not waiting in all day

worth pointing out that P2G explicitely do not cover camera gear for insurance:

http://www.parcel2go.com/shipping-items.aspx#unins

I've used them before, but probably wouldn't now as they exclude it from any cover.

Thats quite a list, and its pretty clear that it often has things added to it - probably added as people claim them... that makes for a rather useless service overall really doesnt it...

It's worth reading that list just for a laugh. They even include 'various' and 'unknown'. It would be simpler to create a list of thing that they WILL carry and insure.

Bricks, rubber balls(solid) and anything that bounces

So anything worth any value or that will not survive being dropped is uninsured. really useful(y)

As has been suggested, Royal Mail Special Delivery Next Day. You can send up to 10Kg with a value of up to £2,500 with tracking.

Royal Mail Standard Parcels has no tracking nor priority, but you can send up to 20Kg and choose compensation up to £500.

Bear in mind that it's your responsibility to pack the item well: I really would recommend double-boxes with 6-inches or more space round the inner box, filled with good quality pellets (not balls of newspaper). Ask yourself whether the contents would survive a drop onto a concrete floor from at least waist height.

Be prepared to be able to prove the value of items sent, in the event of a claim.

As has been suggested, Royal Mail Special Delivery Next Day. You can send up to 10Kg with a value of up to £2,500 with tracking.

Royal Mail Standard Parcels has no tracking nor priority, but you can send up to 20Kg and choose compensation up to £500.

Bear in mind that it's your responsibility to pack the item well: I really would recommend double-boxes with 6-inches or more space round the inner box, filled with good quality pellets (not balls of newspaper). Ask yourself whether the contents would survive a drop onto a concrete floor from at least waist height.

Be prepared to be able to prove the value of items sent, in the event of a claim.

thanks for the info. I read earlier in the thread that it was up to 2kg:bonk:

For up to 2kg I think RM special delivery is unbeatable , no waiting about for a courier to collect then ages on the phone when they don't turn up plus the receiver knows it'll be there before 1pm so they're not waiting in all day

(y)

Up to 2kg its very good value. Above that there's a huge jump in price - from under £10 to over £20.

Last edited:
For heavy but low value and non-urgent parcels, P2G is really good value.

These are good as well http://www.interparcel.com/ sent a 15kg parcel on a 2 day delivery it was only £6.99 + vat online tracking and proof of delivery. They are a broker and used UPS for my parcel but use others. They also collect the parcel from work or home. No affliation just found them good value.

I gave up on parcel2go when I had my first bad experience with DHL. Interparcel were a bit cheaper and offer a range of services: I use Titan which is TNT. For lower weights, the Standard service (which is UPS) is cheaper. Occasionally TNT can't be arsed to send a vehicle 20+ miles for a pickup, but that's the same for most services. The guy from DHL for my area is fine, but there must be incompetents elsewhere along the line. I've had more problems with DHL than any other service.

For a long time Interparcel couldn't interface properly with TNT. You'd request a 12-5 pickup slot and TNT would think you meant before 12.

You can get compensation up to £1,000 but it'll cost an additional £20 (it's pro rata: £2 per £100), so for high value items Royal Mail Special Delivery Next Day is the best possible value.

I used interparcel for a few heavier items but when it comes to camera equipment you would have to look at additional cover ...thanks again Photon for the pro rata bit. so it would cost an additional £10 to cover £500 worth of item.

cheers again

These are good as well http://www.interparcel.com/ sent a 15kg parcel on a 2 day delivery it was only £6.99 + vat online tracking and proof of delivery. They are a broker and used UPS for my parcel but use others. They also collect the parcel from work or home. No affliation just found them good value.

Right, I'll look into these as well.(y)

Back