Using a point and shoot/travel camera for macros

Excellent Steve!

I have little ballheads like that but it turns out that they aren't strong enough to hold any of my flash guns.

I wonder if that light is bright enough to use for still images when using (like I do) very small apertures? (As in, Yes, it's generating further ideas! Thanks. :D)

Thanks, not trying to hijack your thread :)

No manual control on the FS3, so switched to an LZ10 to try that. With the light on full power I'm getting 1/160th @ f8 ISO 200 with -1EV with light about 3 inches away from the subject, if that helps.
Another interesting development, by swinging the bracket forward, I can backlight a subject, might be interesting with flowers?

Thanks, not trying to hijack your thread :)

Absolutely not a problem! This is interesting stuff. :D

No manual control on the FS3, so switched to an LZ10 to try that. With the light on full power I'm getting 1/160th @ f8 ISO 200 with -1EV with light about 3 inches away from the subject, if that helps.

Yes it does. It is nearer to being enough than I thought it would be. I'd like about three stops more, for 1/320, f8, ISO 100, 0EV (well, -1/3 EV strictly speaking, which is my baseline for my small sensor cameras.) I might just use 1/160, f8, ISO 200, -1EV, but my subjects would typically be at 6 inches working distance (when using the Raynox 150). Doubling the distance would cause a falloff of 2 stops I think. And the working distance is over a foot with the 500D. No, I don't think that would work for me. I'll be interested to see if it works for you, and if it does what settings you are using.

Another interesting development, by swinging the bracket forward, I can backlight a subject, might be interesting with flowers?

Worth trying. Backlit flowers can be really nice.

Back