Using Lightroom Radial Filters on close-up images

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
In this thread Andrew (@lightshipman) asked for critique on an image of an Orchid. I suggested changing the distribution of light in the image and one of the tools I used to do this was Lightroom 5's Radial Filter. I find radial filters useful when processing my close-up images, especially with flowers, but also sometimes with invertebrates, and I offered to write something about the technique.

You start off a Radial Filter by defining an oval, like this.

Radial Filter Example 1.1
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

You can then make changes that take effect outside the oval, or inside the oval. Lightroom uses a very broad, slow transition between the area where the changes take effect and the area where they don't. This means that as long as you don't go overboard with the strength of the effects, they can be pretty seamless.

In the above example the changes take effect outside of the oval, and they turn the Highlights, Clarity and (to a lesser extent) Saturation down. These changes de-emphasise the background.

The oval can cut across the edges of the image, as for example in this case, where the Exposure is turned down a bit in the corners to give a mild vignetting effect.

Radial Filter Example 1.2

The next filter takes effect inside the oval and emphasises the open flowers by increasing the contrast and sharpness, and also increases the saturation.

Radial Filter Example 1.3

The last filter also takes effect inside the oval, in this case muting the brightness of a small area that was drawing my eye away from the flowers.

Radial Filter Example 1.4

I only use Radial Filters for a few of my images, and when I do I rarely use more than one; the multiple effects here are for illustrative purposes only.

I do occasionally use Radial Filters for invertebrate images. Sometimes to help emphasise the subject and set it off from the background, or help reduce the impact of distracting elements, but also for images like this, where some of the detail is getting lost in deep shadows.

Radial Filter Example 2.1

It can sometimes be better to raise the shadows in a very localised area such as this, rather than across the image, because the effect on the rest of the image may rather spoil it.

Radial Filter Example 2.2

Radial Filters have a limitation that I sometimes find prevents me doing what I want to do; the effects you can use are less powerful than what is available for use on the whole image, and some don't allow as much control as you can get when working on the whole image. For example,when you use noise reduction on the whole image you have three sliders to use for luminance noise reduction and three for colour noise reduction. When applying noise reduction with a Radial Filter you have just one slider, for the amount to be applied. I don't know if it is luminance or colour noise reduction, or some combination of them.

Radial Filters are not, by and large, an alternative to selecting areas to make changes to, as in this example, where areas have been selected for noise reduction to be applied.

Radial Filter Example 3.1

However, where Radial Filters are suitable, they are easy and very quick to apply (much quicker than making selections), and easy and quick to adjust.

Last edited:
I think this warrants a closer look at Lightroom, it looks so simple.

I run several very small photography groups (only 3 people plus me in each, because that's as many as can get near enough to a screen to get a decent look at what is going on). This is to help other retired people like me with their photography. For almost all of them their knowledge of photography and their use of computers is pretty rudimentary. I use various photo software when we discuss and work on their photos, partly depending on what they use/might use, and partly depending on what I am trying to demonstrate. This includes Picasa, Faststone Image Viewer, IrfanView, Paint.net, Photoshop Elements, Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom.

They consistently say that Lightroom seems much more intuitive to them and helps them understand what I'm doing to their photos much more than other photo software I show them. Most of what we do with their photos just uses cropping (which is also IMO excellently implemented, more on this if anyone is interested) and the sliders of the "Basic" panel, shown opened out here. They can understand what these sliders do, and are even starting to get an idea of what the histogram is all about. (More on the rather tasty, two-way "live" relationship between the histogram and the Highlights, Shadows, Blacks and Whites sliders if anyone is interested).

Lightroom Basic effects panel

Other facilities I find well implemented and very intuitive are tools for comparing and selecting images to work on, the use of the tone curve, making geometric changes/corrections, sharpening (with some caveats) and noise reduction (also with caveats), and a very clever and highly usable facility for selecting irregular areas to work on. (Again, more on any of these if anyone is interested.)

Lightroom isn't Photoshop/Paintshop Pro/Gimp/Paint.net etc (or even Elements) in some respects. For example, it doesn't have layers. and its equivalent of the clone brush seems very weak to me in some circumstances. Because of a couple of it's weaknesses I use CS2 to finish off my images. But for most of what I want to do, and I suspect for all of what many people want to do, I think it is a very good product indeed.

I find Lightroom very easy, quick and convenient to use. However, it is easy to do things once you have found them and once you have worked out how to use them, which in some cases wasn't obvious to me at least. It took me a while to find some of the features and/or learn how to use them effectively, It is one of the few software products I have read a book about and watched videos about, and I'm glad I did.

Last edited:
It's over the bridge for me, a bit far for tuition on Lightroom, but this has got me interested, never got to grips with layers in elements, but regularly use iPhoto and Nikon NX2. Have also been reading the following
http://www.lightroomqueen.com/

Last edited:
I've had LR5 a while but hadn't even noticed what that circle tool does.
Is it possible to invert the selection?
Ctrl maybe, will try again later.

Ctrl maybe, will try again later.

There is a check box Invert mask when in the tool.

Great help Nick, I keep forgetting to use it however you have reminded me.

I've had LR5 a while but hadn't even noticed what that circle tool does.
There is a check box Invert mask when in the tool.

Indeed so, that is what determines whether it is the area inside or outside of the oval which is affected by the changes you make with the sliders.

However ....

Other facilities I find well implemented and very intuitive ..... [include] a very clever and highly usable facility for selecting irregular areas to work on.

... this does not have an "Invert selection" option, and that is IMO a regrettable omission.

Other facilities I find well implemented and very intuitive are ...... sharpening (with some caveats) and noise reduction (also with caveats)

After thinking about this thread some more I did some experiments last night with noise reduction and sharpening in Lightroom. It looks to me as though they are better than I thought and don't have the weaknesses I previously thought they did, weaknesses which made me use Photoshop CS2 to finish off my images rather than just using Lightroom for all of the post processing. I need to do some more trials, but I think I may in future do all the post processing for almost all of my images in Lightroom, and only use CS2 very occasionally for particularly "difficult" images.

If this works out as it currently looks as if it might, then it will significantly simplify and speed up my post processing, and also let me produce slightly better quality results for some images (ones with significant noise and ones with very fine detail in them).

Indeed so, that is what determines whether it is the area inside or outside of the oval which is affected by the changes you make with the sliders.

However ....

... this does not have an "Invert selection" option, and that is IMO a regrettable omission.

After thinking about this thread some more I did some experiments last night with noise reduction and sharpening in Lightroom. It looks to me as though they are better than I thought and don't have the weaknesses I previously thought they did, weaknesses which made me use Photoshop CS2 to finish off my images rather than just using Lightroom for all of the post processing. I need to do some more trials, but I think I may in future do all the post processing for almost all of my images in Lightroom, and only use CS2 very occasionally for particularly "difficult" images.

If this works out as it currently looks as if it might, then it will significantly simplify and speed up my post processing, and also let me produce slightly better quality results for some images (ones with significant noise and ones with very fine detail in them).

I like this sort of comment, it makes lightroom sound more of a complete package. I have just strted to look through my Digital Camera discs with Lightroom tutorials, will study a bit more and probably end up purchasing Lightroom.

Great work Nick. May be worth considering posting a duplicate in the tutorial section as this could have wider appeal. I've used the radial filter before (it's quite a recent addition to lightroom I believe), but I got into the habit of doing similar things with a curves layer and gradient mask in PS for whatever reason.

I never noticed the invert option (I remember the effect seemed to affect the opposite side of the circle I was expecting it to by default), so glad I've learnt something new!

If you are wanting to teach to a larger groups it may be worth checking out Google Hangouts. There is an option to share your screen so, although you'll need another laptop, you can duplicate what you are doing on another screen and get more people around. You could even have some people connecting in from their own computers at home. Bryn and I got together a couple of months ago for a run through Zerene, and it worked very well.

Great work Nick. May be worth considering posting a duplicate in the tutorial section as this could have wider appeal.

Thanks Tim. I had a look at the Tutorials section (not noticed it before), but it has such a low level of traffic that I think I'll give it a miss.

I've used the radial filter before (it's quite a recent addition to lightroom I believe), but I got into the habit of doing similar things with a curves layer and gradient mask in PS for whatever reason.

Can you do circular/oval gradients in up to date versions of PS? In a quick look at gradients in CS2 I could only see linear gradients, but perhaps I missed it. I can see that circular/oval gradients coupled with curves could be a very powerful tool. The advantage to me of Radial Filters in Lightroom is that I'm moving towards using Lightroom for almost all my processing (except where I need special software for multi-image work - panos, stacks, HDR).

I never noticed the invert option (I remember the effect seemed to affect the opposite side of the circle I was expecting it to by default), so glad I've learnt something new!

Yes, I thought it was backwards too. I expected the default to change what was inside the oval not outside. It took me a fair while to get comfortable with that aspect of it.

If you are wanting to teach to a larger groups it may be worth checking out Google Hangouts. There is an option to share your screen so, although you'll need another laptop, you can duplicate what you are doing on another screen and get more people around. You could even have some people connecting in from their own computers at home. Bryn and I got together a couple of months ago for a run through Zerene, and it worked very well.

Interesting. I've never used Hangouts. I have a lot of questions - I know I should research, but perhaps you could start me off on some of these questions.

Presumably it is real time?
Assuming it is real time, how do you go about arranging when to have a session, and who to have in the session?
Can you record interactive sessions?
Can you have/record one-way "presentations"?
For interactive sessions, Is there a "convener" or some such who has some measure of control over things, or is it a free for all?
Why do you need a second PC in order to share your screen?
Can a session include voice as well as visuals?
Can you hand control of your screen to someone else?

Thanks Tim. I had a look at the Tutorials section (not noticed it before), but it has such a low level of traffic that I think I'll give it a miss.
LOL fair enough ;)

Can you do circular/oval gradients in up to date versions of PS? In a quick look at gradients in CS2 I could only see linear gradients, but perhaps I missed it. I can see that circular/oval gradients coupled with curves could be a very powerful tool. The advantage to me of Radial Filters in Lightroom is that I'm moving towards using Lightroom for almost all my processing (except where I need special software for multi-image work - panos, stacks, HDR).
I use the transform tool (CTRL-T) on the gradient in the layer mask to bend and shape it as I want (usually an oval as you say). If I start with a small gradient and stretch it too much I sometimes see a posterisation effect, so maybe I would be better going back into lightroom for this function, but it's always good to have options.

Interesting. I've never used Hangouts. I have a lot of questions - I know I should research, but perhaps you could start me off on some of these questions.

I've only used it a couple of times but I'll see what I can do...

Presumably it is real time? - yes
Assuming it is real time, how do you go about arranging when to have a session, and who to have in the session? - just arrange a time to meet up via email, make sure all your participants have a google account and are logged on at the agreed time and you can invite them to a new hangout.
Can you record interactive sessions? - Not as standard functionality, but where there's a will there's a way (see link below)
Can you have/record one-way "presentations"? - as above
For interactive sessions, Is there a "convener" or some such who has some measure of control over things, or is it a free for all? - yes, generally you will have a host or presenter, but you can pass leadership to other participants or allow them to share their screen etc.
Why do you need a second PC in order to share your screen? - Oh sorry, I maybe didn't explain myself correctly. You don't, you can broadcast it all from the same screen (and others can watch on their own screens). I just meant if you wanted to get more people together physically, you could have a second screen in your room to broadcast to and you can get more people gathered around that (you mentioned a limit of 3 people gathered round one screen). If you are doing an online broadcast everyone can stay at home and participate from their own computers.
Can a session include voice as well as visuals? - yes absolutely. You can use your laptops microphone and speakers, but you might get better sound quality if you purchase a usb headset or even just a usb desk microphone. You can use your webcam too, just make sure you are address appropriately. It's great if you have relatives abroad, and best of all it's free!
Can you hand control of your screen to someone else? - Yep

I found this overview guide which I think covers most things:

https://zapier.com/blog/google-hangouts-video-calls-guide/

Best thing to do would be to give it a try as it's fairly straight forward once you get your head around it. We can arrange a call to go through it if you would like. I'm around this weekend so let me know if you would like to.

Last edited:
I use the transform tool (CTRL-T) on the gradient in the layer mask to bend and shape it as I want (usually an oval as you say).

Ingeneous!

I've only used it a couple of times but I'll see what I can do...

Presumably it is real time? - yes
Assuming it is real time, how do you go about arranging when to have a session, and who to have in the session? - just arrange a time to meet up via email, make sure all your participants have a google account and are logged on at the agreed time and you can invite them to a new hangout.
Can you record interactive sessions? - Not as standard functionality, but where there's a will there's a way (see link below)
Can you have/record one-way "presentations"? - as above
For interactive sessions, Is there a "convener" or some such who has some measure of control over things, or is it a free for all? - yes, generally you will have a host or presenter, but you can pass leadership to other participants or allow them to share their screen etc.
Why do you need a second PC in order to share your screen? - Oh sorry, I maybe didn't explain myself correctly. You don't, you can broadcast it all from the same screen (and others can watch on their own screens). I just meant if you wanted to get more people together physically, you could have a second screen in your room to broadcast to and you can get more people gathered around that (you mentioned a limit of 3 people gathered round one screen). If you are doing an online broadcast everyone can stay at home and participate from their own computers.
Can a session include voice as well as visuals? - yes absolutely. You can use your laptops microphone and speakers, but you might get better sound quality if you purchase a usb headset or even just a usb desk microphone. You can use your webcam too, just make sure you are address appropriately. It's great if you have relatives abroad, and best of all it's free!
Can you hand control of your screen to someone else? - Yep

I found this overview guide which I think covers most things:

https://zapier.com/blog/google-hangouts-video-calls-guide/

Best thing to do would be to give it a try as it's fairly straight forward once you get your head around it. We can arrange a call to go through it if you would like. I'm around this weekend so let me know if you would like to.

Thanks for taking the time on that Tim. That is extremely helpful. I'll need to take a bit of time to digest the guide, and I'll also need to get a microphone - although come to think of it my webcam (which I never use) presumably has one. I'll check that out. I might well take up your offer to have a trial call at some point, although not this weekend as I have earth shifting to do during the day and in the evenings I want to carry on with my investigations into just using Lightroom rather than Lightroom + CS2; i've got a bit of momentum going on that at the moment and want to keep it moving.:)

Also you can duplicate the same shape with the same settings if you right-click on the shape and select 'Duplicate'.

:)

Back