Variable ND Filter

Name
Ray
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Just wondering how many of you use a variable ND filter instead of a fixed value one.

What are the pros and cons of using one, and will I be able to keep it on the lens like a protective/UV filter with it set to its weakest.

What brands should I stick to or are the cheap ones alright to use (Polaroid, Yongnuo etc).

Thanks in advance :)

Hi guys,

Just wondering how many of you use a variable ND filter instead of a fixed value one.

What are the pros and cons of using one, and will I be able to keep it on the lens like a protective/UV filter with it set to its weakest.

What brands should I stick to or are the cheap ones alright to use (Polaroid, Yongnuo etc).

Thanks in advance :)

I would avoid variable NDs. If you use them on a wide-angle at higher densities, a dark cross appears right across the image - basically useless IMHO. Even the most expensive ones do this. They are not good for sharpness or flare resistance either, and you certainly wouldn't want to leave one permanently attached.

Variable ND filters are for video applications no use for stills.

I was wary so I bought a cheap but well reviewed one of amazon (£13). Great quality, no noticeable colour cast and prob about 8 stops before any degrading of the image. The cross only appears at the extremity (9+ stops). If used within limits it's excellent value for money and a cheap way to experiment with long exposures without investing in premium big stoppers.

if u want I could take a couple of comparison photos, but not till next weej.

I was wary so I bought a cheap but well reviewed one of amazon (£13). Great quality, no noticeable colour cast and prob about 8 stops before any degrading of the image.

I was astounded at how rubbish the one I got from Amazon was. Like all of them it was useless on my UWA. However, it was also useless on long lenses - making everything blurred. Of course, it had glowing reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:
It won't be any different from any of the other over-branded Chinese imports. Syrps stuff is for video; vari-NDs have their uses there.

Slrlounge seemed impressed, both for video and stills.

Slrlounge seemed impressed, both for video and stills.

The main problem with vari-NDs is they all use two polarising filters that are rotated one against the other to moderate density. A side effect of that is at high densities with wide-angle lenses (which is the way we normally use them) the denser areas of the filter appear as a dark cross right across the image. It's very obvious, scroll down here http://www.ephotozine.com/article/light-craft-workshop-fader-nd-mk-ii-filter-filter-review-14321

Back