Venus (At Long Last)

BRASH

fracster's right hand
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
.........................................................the effin thing eventually arrived. I had a dick about with it tonight.

First of all the Yongnuo Ring Flash I've got doesn't come with a 62mm adapter so these were taken with the flash rattling loose over the barrel of the lens, nae the best:(. I have since bastardised 2 adapters, glued them together and now have a working set up for attaching the Ring Flash to the lens.

The lens seem pretty well constructed, it's solid, quite heavy but feels the part and not plasticy in any way.

The fact it doesn't have AF and only manual f/stop operation, I don't find an issue in fact I prefer that when shooting Macro. I don't know if it's a sharp as the MPE-65, I'll need to do more testing but it seems more than acceptable IQ wise. Take note tho as other folk have noticed it does eat light at narrower f/stops and higher magnification but again that's something I'll get used to with practice and a bit of Heath Robinson stuff to get a suitable focus light.

The working distances are as I expected and am used to with the MPE-65.

All in all it appears it'll do the job reasonably well.

Here's some of the test shots. I've processed them the same way as I'd do with the MPE-65. The last one, the wee allen screw, is 3mm across and was taken at x2 full mag and I think it's a reasonable example of the detail the lens is capable of achieving.

For £250, at about a third of the price of the MPE-65, it's not a bad investment. OK, it doesn't have the x5 mag of that lens, which I still consider the crem dela crem of (Canon) Macro lenses but if you don't need x5 but need/would like a bit more than the usual 1:1 Macro lenses, then you could do worse.

Last edited:
Right, for some reason I can't cut and paste the BB Code from Flicker just now so the pics ain't attached:rolleyes:. I'll try get it sorted soon as I can.

f***!! I never was any good at Spanish!!

Not for much longer, when king Nigel takes control.

I'll vote for that - living with the frogs is enough ……. joining them is too much

are we going to get any "sharpe" imagine (s)

Last edited:
I'll vote for that - living with the frogs is enough ……. joining them is too much

are we going to get any "sharpe" image-ines
Just tried Flicker again. Dunno why it won't let me cut and paste the BB code into here. Ctrl/C and Ctrl/V are working fine on WORD etc but it's nit lifting the BB Code out, even right clicking has the cut/copy/paste options greyed out. Bummer.

Why are we waiting?

Why-aye are we waiting?

Why are we waiting blah blah blaaaaaaah deeee blahhhh!

:)

Hurry up dude. We're all excited, lol..

Paul.

Look above you doughnut;)

Just tried Flicker again. Dunno why it won't let me cut and paste the BB code into here. Ctrl/C and Ctrl/V are working fine on WORD etc but it's nit lifting the BB Code out, even right clicking has the cut/copy/paste options greyed out. Bummer.

PM Rich he'll tell you what to do!

I like the bubble shots (the first two in particular). On the third, what's causing the split light patterns in those bubbles towards the top of the frame?

Lens looks plenty sharp, although DOF is a bit shallow in the last one. Not sure it's showing the lens off to it's best just yet, I think t has more to give!

You'll be needing more space. Like, six foot under.:eek:

"I fought again the bottle, but had to do it drunk" …… "took my diamond to the pawn shop but that don't make it junk"

just listening to my favour "LP" - Cohen 10 new songs

- The Pinot Grigio has gone - the french white is out

I like the bubble shots (the first two in particular). On the third, what's causing the split light patterns in those bubbles towards the top of the frame?

It's just multi coloured shiny card I got in a craft shop. The refraction of the flash causes all sorts of nice effects.

Ok ok apart from the pi** take I do love your bubbles, you do them well, sharp and lovely colours[emoji5]️

"I fought again the bottle, but had to do it drunk" …… "took my diamond to the pawn shop but that don't make it junk"

just listening to my favour "LP" - Cohen 10 new songs

- The Pinot Grigio has gone - the french white is out
Ha ha. Alki.

Ok ok apart from the pi** take I do love your bubbles, you do them well, sharp and lovely colours[emoji5]️

Thank you. I've just fallen in love with you all over again.
:kiss::kiss:

Ok serious question how did you light the screw head?

Sure it won't be long before you get the super sharpness out of this lens. ;)

Back