Very close up

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
Just came across this video on youtube, very interesting to watch, and shows what can be done with some basic gear. It also has a very good soundtrack with the chap giving commentary of how he gets his images.

The images he gets are inspirational and quite amazing.:)

Can be watched in hi def if you have a good broadband connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

Last edited:
He produces some amazing images. Thanks for the link.

I watched it twice now and I want to take those photos. Fantastic and thanku for the link.

SO... what is a 28mm reversed prime lens????

I'm waiting to hear back from someone re getting a Tamron 90, 'til then is anyone able to explain the difference with these lenses other than the cost (which of course is considerable)

Thanks

that is incredible. think a few members here were watching as it was a little jumpy :)

I watched it twice now and I want to take those photos. Fantastic and thanku for the link.

SO... what is a 28mm reversed prime lens????

I'm waiting to hear back from someone re getting a Tamron 90, 'til then is anyone able to explain the difference with these lenses other than the cost (which of course is considerable)

Thanks

He uses reversing adapter to mount standard prime lenses(back to front) to the camera, in this case a 28mm lens. Doing a search on youtube or Google for reversing adapters will give you more insight, but basicly it's a cheap way of getting macro images using prime lenses you may already own, many people have a 50 mm lens in their bag. Others may reply here with more info as I'm a macro ignoramus.:bonk:

Last edited:
Inspirational photos. I can never find insects here in Scotland to shoot. Must be too cold for them here!

A talented macro photographer that I have followed for quite some time.

He uses reversing adapter to mount standard prime lenses(back to front) to the camera, in this case a 28mm lens. Doing a search on youtube or Google for reversing adapters will give you more insight, but basicly it's a cheap way of getting macro images using prime lenses you may already own, many people have a 50 mm lens in their bag. Others may reply here with more info as I'm a macro ignoramus.:bonk:

Thanks Bill - do have a 50mm but have been umming and ahhhhing for months now - gonna get the Tamron and stop kicking myself every time I want to do macro and can't. Thank you for your advice - I shall just blame Thomas Shahan and some of the macro photographers who post on TP for my depleted bank balance now ;) - those shots are utterly brilliant :D

In response to Bill's request for more info...

A prime is optimised for light converging close to the rear element (subtends an obtuse angle on the film plane) and a long way from the front element (subtends an acute angle at the subject). For macro, if you only use longer and longer extensions and get closer and closer to the subject you end up with this geometry the wrong way round (acute at the rear, obtuse at the front) and so the lens performance drops off.

By reversing the prime and using extensions, the optimal geometry returns as the subject is now close to the 'rear' element (pointing forwards now) and the film plane is further away from the 'front' element (pointing backwards). This keeps the angles of light at the best geometry to match lens optimisation.

Hope that's a useful insight into why you get better images this way.

Incidentally, if you reverse a short lens onto the front of a long one, you get some impressive micro photography on the cheap. E.g. a 30mm wide angle reversed onto a 300mm normally attached telephoto gives a 10:1 magnification onto the film plane. Awesome and really cheap. (See previous post at http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=3073404&postcount=7 for details)

Last edited:
Back