(Very) Minimal Long Exposure

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
One from last Friday - I went along to Shoeburyness to get a long exposure of a sea defence that I had previously seen.

It was looking worse for wear before as it had been damaged in the storm surge earlier in the year, but when I arrived, it had clearly suffered even more, and there isn't much left at all !

As my time for photography is limited these days, I decided to make the best of what I had and the end result is a very minimal shot - maybe too minimal..

The water was quite choppy so went for a 4 minute exposure to really smooth it out.

| | | | / by GarySmith70, on Flickr

It's a shame there isn't more of the defences left but you can only work with what is there.
Mono conversion is a good choice and I like the vanishing horizon.

I don't think it's too minimal at all in fact I like it a lot, it's stark and isolated and I like it for that but it does feel a little soft possibly from the slightest of camera movement...sand and very long exposures are not the best of friends, I've found the only real solution is to really push the legs in, but you need to give them a damn good clean afterwards...

sand and very long exposures are not the best of friends, I've found the only real solution is to really push the legs in, but you need to give them a damn good clean afterwards...

I carry three square kitchen tiles in my bag (the small 10cm x10cm ones. Pop one under each leg and it helps spread the weight and prevent sinking

I carry three square kitchen tiles in my bag (the small 10cm x10cm ones. Pop one under each leg and it helps spread the weight and prevent sinking

I've heard of people doing that before (y)

Works for me. I'm a fan of Michael Kenna, have a look at his work.

Minimal is something that isn't easy to do, IMO, and you've done a good job here. Uber crit from me, well, I'd like the poles a little further out and I'd like to see the sea a little more evenly white.

You can get feet for your tripod that will give you a good table base.

Cheers.

Wow....LOVE this!

A bit zen, ain't it, mate?

But I don't really talk like that - I was acting up. A very distilled image though, and it led me to your Flickr - you have strong photographic vision. Keep on!

I love this.

Without knowing what the subject was this is a really mysterious shot and it leaves a lot to the imagination.

Thanks for the comments and feedback all, very much appreciated.

I agree, there is some slight movement in this - the tips regarding really pushing the legs down and also for the tiles are excellent - thanks. I really should look at replacing my tripod, it's a cheap one from when I first started out and it's not really up to the job.

Also, thanks for the heads up on Michael Kenna - excellent and just my kind of thing. I agree that the sea could be more uniform in tone - one to revisit.

Thanks again all..

I decided to make the best of what I had

What a great inspiring shot! The whole thing works for me... i like the uneven whites in the sea surface and the shadow where the posts hit the water.
When i'm drivveling on that there's no decent opportunities for a shot i will remember your words and photograph!
Thanks for sharing this with us Gary.

Back