Video effect on shutter / Camera Jungle

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am just looking at buying a second hand D300S and have become involved in a debate with Camera Jungle who do not state shutter count on their site. They assert that it is not relevant because if a camera has been used to shoot a lot of video, that would have a detrimental effect on the shutter that is obviously not shown in the shutter count. I can sort of see that but would still prefer a model with 10,000 actuations than with 100,000, even it has shot lots of video. Any views anyone?

As an aside has anyone used Camera Jungle? the website and infrastructure look impressive, prices are higher than MPB but so are their trade-in prices.

Many thanks

David

I traded a few items with them and as you say they gave me some reasonable prices, its setup a bit like argos, you look on the website and they get the goods down. It also shares the site with a golf store and a carp angling store.

Surely that's like saying it makes no difference because someone might have taken thousands of long exposure shots

Wouldn't the shutter count still be counted for video though, one video clip = +1 shutter count surely

Sounds like they have high shutter counts and don't want to let on to the fact

I wouldn't buy a camera without knowing the shutter count ... that having been said some Canon cameras need Canon to establish the count ... even so I wouldn't buy one without knowing it's usage.

Before I bought my D700 from WEX last year, they told me that shutter count was not worth worrying about, as it could be easily reset to zero! Despite them telling me this, I have not found a website so far that explain how to do this easily if you actually wanted to do it. Therefore, they did not even bother to check the shutter count when they bought the camera. They merely checked its overall condition.
As you can imagine, it took me a few weeks before I plucked up the courage to check the shutter count on my D700. As it turns out, less than 4,000 and consistent with it's condition.
They also told me that the shutter count would be reset to zero when I upgraded the firmware-it doesn't.

Salesman generally know next to nothing about the products they sell! :)

I agree with all of this, when I told them shutter count would be a showstopper, they produced them and they were between 9 k and 22 k so nothing for them to hide. I also decided to look at a used D300, so no issue on the video front (which I have used literally a handful of times on my current camera, quality is better on my phone). Now I have to decide whether a D300 is a suitable alternative to a D300s, which it seems to be from what I read.

Back