Vintage Sports Car Club - Oulton Park 22/05/10

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I made the journey from the North East of England across to Oulton Park last weekend for the Hawthorn Memorial Trophies Meeting organised by the Vintage Sports Car Club. This was a meeting I had been looking forward to for weeks, as the machinery being raced is always fantastic. With most cars having steering wheels like dustbin lids, tyres that look no wider than my bike (in some cases) and the drivers having to weight shift in the cockpit to get them to turn, they are just so much more exciting to watch than the modern race cars.

Most unusually for the UK, the day was very warm with very harsh sunlight. However, the sky was cloudless, so I shot pretty much the whole day in manual to best optimise my exposure, accepting that textureless whites (eg sides of crash helmets) would inevitably become blown to a certain extent to get the rest of the image right.

Anyway, on to some photos.

#1 One of my first shots of the day. Made a great noise this little car, and as you can see, was driven very enthusiastically!
vscc2205101.jpg

#2 Wider view at Knickerbrook to catch the pack chasing down a couple of real old timers in one of the handicap races.
vscc2205102.jpg

#3 Classic Oulton Park shot, and what a glorious MG - one of the best presented cars there.
vscc2205103.jpg

#4 I know this is tightly framed, but given the subject matter, I just don't care!
vscc2205104.jpg

#5 The passengers in these Morgans deserve a medal - how they're not car sick I do not know!
vscc2205105.jpg

#6 Wider view of Druids. I had hoped the blooms in the garden would've been a bit further on for a splash of colour. Never mind!
vscc2205106.jpg

#7 Couldn't have a VSCC thread without a shot of the monstorous 24 litre Napier Bentley!
vscc2205108.jpg

#8 I'll finish with another version of the classic Oulton Park shot. There aren't many circuits give you a backdrop like this.
vscc2205107.jpg

All in all, it was fantastic day, and I'm sure it will be one of the most enjoyable this season.

All of the shots were taken with a 7D using either a 24-105 f4 L, a 120-300 f2.8 EX DG or 400 f5.6 L lens from the public viewing areas.

There's a full gallery on my website for those that are interested: -

http://www.srh-motorsport-photography.co.uk/srhphoto/v/2010/Circuit+Racing+Cars/vscc220510/

As usual, any comments or feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Simon.

Lovely set and I think pic 4 would make a nice black and white conversion and ageing

Lovely set and I think pic 4 would make a nice black and white conversion and ageing

Thanks Ziploc :)

I might have a play with a B+W conversion sometime over the weekend.

Simon.

All great shots Simon and some very nice machinery on display, would love to see these up at Croft. If I had to pick a favourite it would be between 1 and 5

Cheers
Ian

It would be fab to see these up at Croft Ian (y)

One or two were running unsilenced. Now that would give you know who something to complain about ;)

Simon.

Lovely work Simon as usual

How do you rate your 400 5.6?

Back