VPN Servers and Macs

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
Quite a few of you are very good with your Macs and computers it seems.

I need to set up a VPN connection between me, and a machine in Canada to share my internet connection. Is this possible? Or will it be painfully slow?

I take it I need some kind of software to allow my Mac to be seen as a VPN Server, then I need to give the IP details and login stuff to the other machine to connect to (Seems easy enough in Network Prefernces to add a VPN connection)

Obviously I will need to port forward too on my router to my mac etc..

Quite a few of you are very good with your Macs and computers it seems.

I need to set up a VPN connection between me, and a machine in Canada to share my internet connection. Is this possible? Or will it be painfully slow?

I take it I need some kind of software to allow my Mac to be seen as a VPN Server, then I need to give the IP details and login stuff to the other machine to connect to (Seems easy enough in Network Prefernces to add a VPN connection)

Obviously I will need to port forward too on my router to my mac etc..

I might be missing something here, but if you want to setup a vpn from the Mac in Canada to your MAC so it can share your internet connection, how is it going to run a VPN as it needs a connection to the internet in the first place to be able to run VPN :thinking:

Tim

The aim is to use the UK ISP and access to files, albeit painfully slow, on my network.

I don't know if I am talking complete rubbish or if this is possible or not.

that link says 10.4 only?

This may seem a daft question but you're looking to connect to another Mac? There's a free app called Logmein, but that requires you to leave the other Mac on and logged in as well. I use Citrix to connect to my Windows based desktop at work.

The VPN server in OS X should work fine, I think that link means that it was introduced with OS 10.4, it certainly worked on Leopard for me, I've not tested it on Snow Leopard yet though.

Well it will hardly be quick and will lag to the point of being fairly unusable for anything more than basic tasks if you are talking about remotely controlling the other machine? If you mean simply using the internet connection at the other end of the VPN, it will be fine.

Not interested in remote control.. just need to access computers on my home network, and use the internet connection.

I work at an IT firm, and we have various clients whose networks we connect to via VPNs, but they all use servers rather than stand alone machines, and all Windows. But it does allow us access to their files and to use their internet connection to test problems, check if websites are blocked correctly etc etc etc

You could get a free trial of the me.com service and try using "Back to my mac" which will allow what you are after. There are other options too including one where you can access your home Mac from an iPhone!

Ok, I might be missing something here because I dont actually work for the security/server teams, but Your internet connection is not what VPN is for.

VPN is to authenticate you agaisnt a network right? E.g Say John.Smith is actually John.Smith from a Keyfob?

The VPN cannot give you a better or worse internet connection.

Sorry, I am not sure if I have explained myself very well,

The main aim I want is to be able to be able to share my home network with a machine in Canada. I.E. the file systems etc. Not remote control.

I use Logmein already lol

I just need to set up a virtual private network between my home network and a standalone machine in Canada, but also allow the machine to access the internet via my connection, so it is like going through a proxy, looks like they are browsing with a UK IP address if I am making sense?

Back