Critique Wakehurst Place

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Couple of images from Wakehurst Place in Sussex from this weekend. Disconcertingly these are the best of the lot. Your comments, however they come, would be very much appreciated.

DSCF0833
by AndyWalker1871, on Flickr

DSCF0843
by AndyWalker1871, on Flickr

I like the tree, I wonder if a couple more f stops might have been better? It was taken at f7.1.

The door has potential, but something(s) aren't right. Is it too tight? Is it the vignette?

Not meaning this to sound nasty - If you want to create interesting pictures, photograph something interesting.

How could these images have been improved? If the door were perhaps ajar, that would be interesting, if the light were casting shadows instead of being flat that might be interesting, If you could push the contrast more perhaps, If you had concentrated on the woodwork at the top of the door that would be interesting? - (ps I would loose the doorbell).

Im not a fan of the trees, but the door could work. Of course I may be very wrong, but offering some food for thought, no harm meant ;)

Not meaning this to sound nasty - If you want to create interesting pictures, photograph something interesting.

Ha ha this is brilliant. Thank you for being honest. No offence taken, at all. It's great feedback. In hindsight I totally agree, they are inherently dull. It's definitely something I struggle with, finding an interesting subject.

However, it was a very conscious decision to take the picture that I did. I didn't just take a random picture of a door in passing, I had considered it and given it thought. Maybe that's even more concerning....

:)

Not necessarily, that at least means there was something about that door that interested you, explore it a little more. Maybe throwing on a heavier vignette would work for the image as it would draw you in?

Back