Walk around lens for £200ish

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Looking for more of a walk around lens to go with my 60d and 50mm f1.8. Still learning the ropes and loving the 50mm prime but it is a bit restrictive indoors. Been looking at lots of the cheaper lenses and have come across this: http://panamoz.com/index.php/lens/t...l-promotional-price-free-1-year-warranty.html

So how would that compare to Canons variant: http://panamoz.com/index.php/lens/canon/canon-ef-s-18-200mm-f-3-5-5-6-is.html

Is a canon lens that much better than a tamron?

I know the super zooms are always a compromise so for up to £200 what would you buy that's wider and more practical than my 50mm?

Thanks in advance folks!

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (non is).

If you need more reach, add a longer lens at a later date.

trouble is, that's 50% more than I was looking to spend.....even on the likes of Panamoz it's 280 :(

For £280 though there does seem to be a Sigma 18-200 on Panamoz. Not actually that fussed about the zoom. If I could have afforded to initially I'd have bought the 50mm f1.4 :D Trouble is, now I can afford it I don't want 2 50mm lenses, hence looking for more of an all rounder. Is there such a thing at this price :)

It is the same lens.

If you plan on taking a trip to a lce store for a specific used item, call them beforehand. I nearly got caught out as one store wasn't picking up the phone, so I thought I'd just go anyway, luckily I managed to get ahold of them literally as I was about to step out the door and found out they had sold what I wanted an hour earlier.

Saved me a 130 mile round trip. Mildly miffed they didn't answer the phone earlier so they could put it to one side for me, but I'm glad they did finally answer and saved me from a wasted trip.

kev_blizard said:
I have a 28-135 for sale in the classifieds on here, great lens only reason that its for sale is i've gone full frame ;)

He won't have access to the classifieds yet.

Canons 17-85 is ~£200 second hand at LCE. Depends which one(s) you are near.

I used this predominantly on my 60D until I upgraded; it's not a bad lens at all especially for £200.

Take a look at the original (non-OS) Sigma 17-70mm. I'm not sure what they cost these days, but it's less than most lenses mentioned so far. I used one for quite a while and found it to be top quality (sharp and with very good colour/contrast), if a little soft wide open.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Appreciate your input. In terms of buying second hand off here as pointed out I can't yet.....not enough posts etc.

Is there generally a difference in quality between a canon/tamron/sigma lens in terms of quality or relating to cars is it a similar story to BMW/Audi/Mercedes? Trying to find out whether or ot the canons are normally the way forward because if buying 2nd hand they fall into my budget as points out above.

Cheers all.

I find Canon lenses tend to retain their resale value a bit better, but the main focus is going to be on how well it's been taken care of and the type of lens. If you buy a mk1 lens and v2 is out the resale value will go down of course.

Don't tend to find there is much difference in quality between lens types, although to an extent you get what you pay for. Personally would stick to Sigma and Tamron as the main alternatives too.

Ok great stuff. Thanks for this. Just looking at all the alternatives now. Tamrons F2.8 18-50 does look tempting but wondering if I'd be better off with the canon f3.5-5.6? 18-85mm To give a bit more versatility instead of maxing out on zoom at the same as my 50mm prime :s bah decisions decisions :) anyone have any food for thought?

Do you mean the 18-55, 15-85 or something else? The 15-85 is one of the top EFS lenses (along with Canons 17-55 f2.8 and 10-22 f3.5-4.5); but these are all significantly over £200.

Remember you're shooting crop too, so 18-55 is a FF 29-88 equivalent.

This may get me flamed for peeping, but I find this site useful: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx

Basically shows test shots of different lenses at different apertures and focal lengths. There are some examples on there of two versions of the same lens though, and so be warned it can vary.

Just to add, the site shows what each lens is capable of in ideal situations. It doesn't take lighting, ISO, subject, or movement into account. The main thing that allows good photos is the photographer. I just don't like to be too limited by my equipment so I know my rubbish shots are due to me being a muppet :)

Last edited:
This may get me flamed for peeping, but I find this site useful: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx

Basically shows test shots of different lenses at different apertures and focal lengths. There are some examples on there of two versions of the same lens though, and so be warned it can vary.

Just to add, the site shows what each lens is capable of in ideal situations. It doesn't take lighting, ISO, subject, or movement into account. The main thing that allows good photos is the photographer. I just don't like to be too limited by my equipment so I know my rubbish shots are due to me being a muppet :)

Looks like a cool site but not sure it's working properly on my iPad :( either that or I'm being a complete tool :p

I'll check it out when I get on my pc....thanks for the heads up.

I don't think he has the post count required too go on the classifieds section ;)
Also as for the 24-70mm Canon vs Sigma,Tamron lens i have had them all over the years and i do find the Canon the best the focusing is quicker was main thing i noticed and i prefer the build and egde on quality of images..

Though if your on a budget the Tamron and Sigma are worth the money so there well worth getting as a cheaper alternative :D

Back