"Walkaround" lens advice needed

Name
Niq Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm assuming this is the correct place to ask for this. If not, I'm certain a nice admin will move it.

Anyroadup. I have finally decided to flog my rarely used Sigma 10-20 (steady now, I'll be putting it on the for sale forum soon enough) and replacing it with something in the 17/18 to 50/85mm range.

Having recently bought a Canon 75-300 IS, I'm reluctuant to buy anything without stabilisation (basically, I'm crap at holding the camera still at the kind of slow shutter speeds most people manage with ease).

I don't want to put much more towards the replacement (if anything at all) but I'd like something sharp.

The Canon 17-55 looks amazing but, at 800 nicker, it's a bit rich for my blood. The 18-55 IS "kit lens" is not much of an u/g from my old kit lens tbh (forgot to mention, I have a 350D), so that's out.

I believe that leaves me with finding a second hand 17-40L and trying to make do without IS or taking a look at the new Sigma 18-50 2.8-4.5 DC OS, which I think goes for around 300 quid.

Any suggestions anyone ?
http://www.alphabetcityblog.com/2009/06/sigma-18-50-28-45-dc-os-lens-hands-on.html

yeah, niq.. have a shave!

:p

i'm eyeing up the 17-55 IS for after xmas, or maybe just before VAT kicks back up.
it's less than £650 if you shop abroad.

the Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS Lens is £250 ish but long throw really.
the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is less than £300 too... if you don't need WIIIIIIDDDE

Need WIIIIIIIDDDDE Matt. And I have 75-300 covered anyway so I don't want to take the huge quality hit that I reckon an 18-200 would have.

hi, i know you are looking for a walkaround lens, but have you considered the nifty fifty? if arent particularly fussed about the wide ended stuff, its fast enough to overcome shaky hands, and is so light weight and sharp. I would consider it and a telephoto lens to be a good walkaround combination. I was in the market for a walkaround a while back, and after much research I found that my shaky hands and IQ compromise due to the large amount of zoom on walkaround lens just lead me towards breaking it down it 2-3 lenses and rethinking my setup slightly.

To be honest, I can't see you getting IS on a reasonably wide lens without shelling out a fortune. Think you might have to settle for a lens without IS or save up a bit more cash if you really want it.

I use the 35mm f/2 as my walkabout lens and it's lovely. Great focal length for when you're pottering about and don't need huge reach. Acceptably sharp from f/2 but tack sharp at f/4. Focus is a little noisy but other than that it's fantastic.

Rumor has it there's a new version on the way soon as the current model design is around 15 years old, I think. There's been talk of a 35mm f/1.8 for a while now and it's overdue!

George.

The Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM is supposed to be a cracker of a lens, and it has image stabilisation. It goes for between £200 - 250 depending where you look. Camerbox has it for £233.

Or, sell the 75-300 (This lens isnt much cop TBH, sorry!) and buy a Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM, about £280 (good review - http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28-135mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx).

Both really good, I'm looking to get one of these lenses in the near future, and both have very good focal ranges without the loss of IQ you get from lenses with wider "cover all" ranges.

I have a 24-105 F4 is as a walkabout, really versatile and would suit you already having the sigma 10-20 for the wide end.

Canon 17-85 IS USM, its not very fast but IS will help with your shaky hands.

Another shout for the 28-135 IS. I love this lens. This shot was taken at 1/4 sec, handheld, through a double-glazed window

CRW_6931.jpg

sell the 75-300 (This lens isnt much cop TBH, sorry!)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Taken with the 75-300 in Sri Lanka a month ago. Compared with what I had, it's L glass. I'll take a look at the Sigma 18-125 though, quite a nice crossover point.

hsuffyan, I already have a Nifty, but 80mm is to long for a general "fit & forget" for daily use around town & on holiday. If I know I'm going birding or shooting wildlife I'll just stick the 75-300 on. I just need something to give me the equiv' of around 28-135. Anything starting at 28 is going to end up too long on a cropped sensor.

I suppose I should just make Dizmatt an offer for his Sigma 30mm

^^ Blimey, those are pretty good, I was led to believe the 75-300 isn't a very good performer (sure its not a 70-300, lol!).

http://www.thebigkahuna.co.uk/chipmunk.jpg

That's original size with nothing but a tiny bit of sharpening in Lightroom 2 (I won't post it with IMG tags due to it being about 4mb).

As I said, chuffed to bits. I've found that most lenses, including the old kit lens, can give remarkable results so long as the original image isn't a throwaway. A bit of correction for CA and Barrel/Pincushion in Ptlens, and 10 minutes in Lightroom messing with the sharpness/levels etc. I'd just like something razor sharp and with IS.

^^ Blimey, those are pretty good, I was led to believe the 75-300 isn't a very good performer (sure its not a 70-300, lol!).

You know what ? I'm a dumbass. It is the 70-300 IS :bonk:

^ Ha ha, that explains it, the 70-300 IS is a blinder of a lens!!! :LOL:

Anyone want to buy a Sigma 9-21mm F3.9 ?

Back