WAMT....what annoyed me today!

I had an Email come in earlier purporting to be from ii.. Investment company I use to buy/sell shares. It wanted me to pull all my accounts, from anywhere, I assume into one account to save money.

I get regular Emails from them and even the heading alerted me, the one that shows in the Inbox. I read over it.

Here's the top paragraph

Dear investor,

Having all your accounts in one place means you can see all your investments at a glance and easily keep track of their progress.

Your monthly service plan can cover you for our Stocks and Shares ISA, Trading Account and as many Junior ISAs as you have children. Better still, you could make big savings on fees.

Be up to £43k better off
Our low-cost, flat fees don’t grow with your investments, so the more you invest with us, the more you'll save.

To the right hand side was a small window with this written in it and an error is clear to see.

Independent research conducted by the lang cat*
shows that you be you be up to £43k better off
over 30 years by moving all of your ISAs and
Trading Accounts to ii

I've tried to contact the company but of course, it's closed over the Easter weekend which imo is why this scam mail has been sent.I assumed they might want to alert their clients.

Last edited:
My garage always text's me a month before its due.

We have that arrangement with ours too. At first I thought it was like retailers, just wanted our Email address or mobile number but it's been ok.

Something annoyed my yesterday.....myself.

Checked car lights yesterday evening, noticed side lights were not working. Long story short, I checked when MOT was due and it was a month ago. Thankfully I have it in a garage right this minute getting an MOT done.

What a prat I am. I knew I should have written it down somewhere in view. I even checked when it was some months ago and I completely forgot about it.

I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself as it's easily done and I wondered if there was a stat for how many don't get it done by the due date. Amazingly, there is..and of the 11.6 million 42% is down to simply forgetting which is why you shouldn't beat yourself up. However, as you see in this article it's not always forgetfulness. Article dated February 27 last year so quite recent.

I have an iMac and I assume all PC's have a calendar reminder/alert app. so you could put the due date in there to show 2 weeks prior to the MOT date..so you get a slot in time or as suggested above, either an Email reminder from DVLA or a text from the garage.

WAMT? Litter! Grockles coming to the coast and leaving their **** for someone else to clean up. We've seen very little for months and then wham! It's in the hedgerows, on the roads and in the streets. Take it home or bin it!

It was mentioned on Radio4 this morning. We really haver a problem in this country.

10 European countries have a deposit refund system for beverage containers: Sweden (since 1984), Iceland (since 1989), Germany (since 2003), Finland (since 1996), Norway (since 1999), Denmark (since 2002), the Netherlands (since 2005), Estonia (since 2005), Croatia (since 2006) and Lithuania, where the system was

As for the UK. It was promised 6 years ago. Article date March 24 2021.https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/24/no-bottle-deposit-return-scheme-for-most-of-uk-until-2024-at-earliest

Why wouldn't it implement it back then ? My guess is the cost of the scheme which would be borne by the retailers who have objected.

It was mentioned on Radio4 this morning. We really haver a problem in this country.

10 European countries have a deposit refund system for beverage containers: Sweden (since 1984), Iceland (since 1989), Germany (since 2003), Finland (since 1996), Norway (since 1999), Denmark (since 2002), the Netherlands (since 2005), Estonia (since 2005), Croatia (since 2006) and Lithuania, where the system was

As for the UK. It was promised 6 years ago. Article date March 24 2021.https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/24/no-bottle-deposit-return-scheme-for-most-of-uk-until-2024-at-earliest

Why wouldn't it implement it back then ? My guess is the cost of the scheme which would be borne by the retailers who have objected.

Regarding litter, and this is no excuse for what it’s like now, but London used to be pretty good before the IRA put bombs in litter bins with the result they were all removed or covered :(.

I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself as it's easily done and I wondered if there was a stat for how many don't get it done by the due date. Amazingly, there is..and of the 11.6 million 42% is down to simply forgetting which is why you shouldn't beat yourself up. However, as you see in this article it's not always forgetfulness. Article dated February 27 last year so quite recent.

I have an iMac and I assume all PC's have a calendar reminder/alert app. so you could put the due date in there to show 2 weeks prior to the MOT date..so you get a slot in time or as suggested above, either an Email reminder from DVLA or a text from the garage.

I have my reminder set for a month before the due date. That gives me plenty of time to get the vehicle booked in and anything that might need doing to be done. You can get a vehicle tested up to a month before the due date and keep the renewal date so there's no "penalty" for an early test.

I'm not beating myself over it, but thanks for your comment

At first I thought it was like retailers, just wanted our Email address or mobile number but it's been ok.
I know the owner quite well and he'd never do that ( or else :D )

What annoyed me today
Bike insurance automatically renewing even after I cancelled the policy two weeks ago
Will now have to wait 1 or 2 weeks apparently for a refund

Will now have to wait 1 or 2 weeks apparently for a refund

It's not good enough is it? It also happens far too often. :mad:

I've got myself in the habit of cancelling my Direct Debits as soon as I decide I'm not paying them any more. I then make a final payment (if there is one) by card.

I've got myself in the habit of cancelling my Direct Debits as soon as I decide I'm not paying them any more. I then make a final payment (if there is one) by card.

I think it’s not usually the direct debits it’s the other sort (automatic renewal?) that you can’t cancel yourself — which should be outlawed.

that you can’t cancel yourself — which should be outlawed.

I agree, they should.

I hate Direct Debits, Standing Orders are much better - at least with those they can't just help themselves to what figure they feel like taking. My local council recently took two hundred pounds out of my account without warning. The payment should have been for eighteen. I'm still fighting them now. :banghead:

Yes it was very frustrating especially as I’d phoned especially to cancel two weeks ago and they admitted today that it was on record that I cancelled
Yes that’s a good idea

I agree, they should.

I hate Direct Debits, Standing Orders are much better - at least with those they can't just help themselves to what figure they feel like taking. My local council recently took two hundred pounds out of my account without warning. The payment should have been for eighteen. I'm still fighting them now. :banghead:

A route to complain when/as needed?

Reactions: Sky
I think it’s not usually the direct debits it’s the other sort (automatic renewal?) that you can’t cancel yourself — which should be outlawed.

Yes as far as I understand I could not have cancelled it myself
That’s the last time I agree to automatic renewal though
The bad part is that if it had put my account into overdrawn I would have got charges and I don’t understand why it takes one or two weeks to refund, I mean they take the money instantly

and I don’t understand why it takes one or two weeks to refund, I mean they take the money instantly
That also annoys me, especially when its their cock up :(

This auto-renewal has been a bone of contention with motorists and home insurance policyholders for far too long and you're right, only the company can cancel it.In September last year the FCA stated that it intended to require insurance companies to offer existing customers, at renewal, the same premium they offer new customers who have been able to get far better rates as a 'bait on a hook'. They have also stipulated that the previous year's premium is written on the renewal. I expect you know that, though. I've been keeping a note of previous premium costs for years. so I can see the increases at a glance. That requirement hasn't come into force yet,as far as I know.

On three occasions ..once re home insurance and twice re car insurance with the same company, I've stated, over the phone, that I do not want auto-renewal either at the outset..ie first premium or at renewal when, in reality, there's a new contract with them. On two occasions written on the back was..'As you have taken advantage of our continuous payment option...etc..' ..Another time I can't quite recall what the exact wording was.."our recurring something or other..not payment, that's for sure.. ..I thought it was an odd term..but it definitely wasn't the much-maligned 'auto-renewal'. I mean, are they hoping some people won't understand what recurring etc means and not make the connection or better still not even read the print on the reverse side to the policy details ? On one occasion , after reading that I'd opted for auto-renewal or whatever they called it I asked the customer helpline agent, as they call them, if she'd look on her screen and see if no auto-renewal was written there. Yes, it was. So, someone up the chain, whoever prints out the policy, decided to ignore it and in my ultra-cynical belief..deliberately. She was very good and said she'd send me confirmation that I was not on auto-renewal which I did receive with no apology though, just a curt confirmation from a manager.

There's a loophole for them too if you buy insurance online. On screen are the usual questions, a quote and pay option. Nowhere is the option regarding auto-renewal to be seen. The policy arrives and it's down to the policyholder to read it thoroughly and contact the company if they don't want auto-renewal assuming it's even written on there that it will be auto-renewed and to contact the company if you don't want it The question has to be asked why the government didn't sort out this one at the same time as the other issues. Industry lobbying maybe ? However, to be fair, maybe the government thought it better to leave it as status quo to ensure there are as few cars on the road uninsured as possible because people can forget to renew even after getting a renewal notice..

What should happen is that a policyholder should have the option to either opt in or opt out at the point of purchase or renewal, both over the phone or online.

Another issue I read about is that some companies (Swinton was quoted)will take a deposit for the impending first premium for renewal before the renewal date from those who pay monthly. That can't be right.

This auto-renewal has been a bone of contention with motorists and home insurance policyholders for far too long and you're right, only the company can cancel it.In September last year the FCA stated that it intended to require insurance companies to offer existing customers, at renewal, the same premium they offer new customers who have been able to get far better rates as a 'bait on a hook'. They have also stipulated that the previous year's premium is written on the renewal. I expect you know that, though. I've been keeping a note of previous premium costs for years. so I can see the increases at a glance. That requirement hasn't come into force yet,as far as I know.

On three occasions ..once re home insurance and twice re car insurance with the same company, I've stated, over the phone, that I do not want auto-renewal either at the outset..ie first premium or at renewal when, in reality, there's a new contract with them. On two occasions written on the back was..'As you have taken advantage of our continuous payment option...etc..' ..Another time I can't quite recall what the exact wording was.."our recurring something or other..not payment, that's for sure.. ..I thought it was an odd term..but it definitely wasn't the much-maligned 'auto-renewal'. I mean, are they hoping some people won't understand what recurring etc means and not make the connection or better still not even read the print on the reverse side to the policy details ? On one occasion , after reading that I'd opted for auto-renewal or whatever they called it I asked the customer helpline agent, as they call them, if she'd look on her screen and see if no auto-renewal was written there. Yes, it was. So, someone up the chain, whoever prints out the policy, decided to ignore it and in my ultra-cynical belief..deliberately. She was very good and said she'd send me confirmation that I was not on auto-renewal which I did receive with no apology though, just a curt confirmation from a manager.

There's a loophole for them too if you buy insurance online. On screen are the usual questions, a quote and pay option. Nowhere is the option regarding auto-renewal to be seen. The policy arrives and it's down to the policyholder to read it thoroughly and contact the company if they don't want auto-renewal assuming it's even written on there that it will be auto-renewed and to contact the company if you don't want it The question has to be asked why the government didn't sort out this one at the same time as the other issues. Industry lobbying maybe ? However, to be fair, maybe the government thought it better to leave it as status quo to ensure there are as few cars on the road uninsured as possible because people can forget to renew even after getting a renewal notice..

What should happen is that a policyholder should have the option to either opt in or opt out at the point of purchase or renewal, both over the phone or online.

Another issue I read about is that some companies (Swinton was quoted)will take a deposit for the impending first premium for renewal before the renewal date from those who pay monthly. That can't be right.

It could be worse :(, today’s New York Times:

Stacy Blatt was in hospice care last September listening to Rush Limbaugh’s dire warnings about how badly Donald J. Trump’s campaign needed money when he went online and chipped in everything he could: $500.

It was a big sum for a 63-year-old battling cancer and living in Kansas City on less than $1,000 per month. But that single contribution — federal records show it was his first ever — quickly multiplied. Another $500 was withdrawn the next day, then $500 the next week and every week through mid-October, without his knowledge — until Mr. Blatt’s bank account had been depleted and frozen. When his utility and rent payments bounced, he called his brother, Russell, for help.

What the Blatts soon discovered was $3,000 in withdrawals by the Trump campaign in less than 30 days. They called their bank and said they thought they were victims of fraud.

“It felt,” Russell said, “like it was a scam.”

But what the Blatts believed was duplicity was actually an intentional scheme to boost revenues by the Trump campaign and the for-profit company that processed its online donations, WinRed. Facing a cash crunch and getting badly outspent by the Democrats, the campaign had begun last September to set up recurring donations by default for online donors, for every week until the election.

Contributors had to wade through a fine-print disclaimer and manually uncheck a box to opt out.

As the election neared, the Trump team made that disclaimer increasingly opaque, an investigation by The New York Times showed. It introduced a second prechecked box, known internally as a “money bomb,” that doubled a person’s contribution. Eventually its solicitations featured lines of text in bold and capital letters that overwhelmed the opt-out language.

Last edited:

Stacy Blatt was in hospice care last September listening to Rush Limbaugh’s dire warnings about how badly Donald J. Trump’s campaign needed money when he went online and chipped in everything he could: $500.

It was a big sum for a 63-year-old battling cancer and living in Kansas City on less than $1,000 per month. But that single contribution — federal records show it was his first ever — quickly multiplied. Another $500 was withdrawn the next day, then $500 the next week and every week through mid-October, without his knowledge — until Mr. Blatt’s bank account had been depleted and frozen. When his utility and rent payments bounced, he called his brother, Russell, for help.

What the Blatts soon discovered was $3,000 in withdrawals by the Trump campaign in less than 30 days. They called their bank and said they thought they were victims of fraud.

But what the Blatts believed was duplicity was actually an intentional scheme to boost revenues by the Trump campaign and the for-profit company that processed its online donations, WinRed. Facing a cash crunch and getting badly outspent by the Democrats, the campaign had begun last September to set up recurring donations by default for online donors, for every week until the election.

Contributors had to wade through a fine-print disclaimer and manually uncheck a box to opt out.

As the election neared, the Trump team made that disclaimer increasingly opaque, an investigation by The New York Times showed. It introduced a second prechecked box, known internally as a “money bomb,” that doubled a person’s contribution. Eventually its solicitations featured lines of text in bold and capital letters that overwhelmed the opt-out language.

Staggering..........................but with Trump perhaps not too surprising???

yes it’s wrong that they do this and could have put our bank account into overdraft and caused us more problems

Makes the amaxon prime opt out look amateurish.

Of course, it could be argued that a trump contributor deserves everything they get taken for...

Makes the amaxon prime opt out look amateurish.

Of course, it could be argued that a trump contributor deserves everything they get taken for...

Though..........................one could read such a generous one off donation as being to help a basket case??? :LOL: Or that like all his period as PoTUS he was taking all of them 'for a ride', of the most uncomfortable type!

People who don't have the courtesy to respond to messages about an item for sale ( not on here but FB) I guess it's my own fault for looking on FB [emoji54]

If the item is sold or its on hold pending funds does it take so much of their precious time to send a quick message [emoji848]

the paper layer in a margarine tub. I throw it out, pointless thing. But this flips my other half out, ninja style. What is the use of it? anyone else throw it out?

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
the paper layer in a margarine tub. I throw it out, pointless thing. But this flips my other half out, ninja style. What is the use of it? anyone else throw it out?

I won't use margarine, but I know what you mean. I can't see any point for the damn things either and I always throw them out once I've opened a new tub.

I guess you mean a layer on top of the fat like there is with butter? Probably to stop it oxidising as butter does. People not re-wrapping block butter after use is one of my pet hates :(.

Well yesterday, took my 88yo old neighbour for her 2nd vaccine, she mentioned stopping at a pub to get a drink the way back,
told her pubs are closed and I don't drink !!
Come out of the surgery, drive about a mile and she spots a pub, shall we stop she says, no it's closed why do you need a drink, we can always stop in tesco and get you a bottle!!! No she says thought you might like one !
Get home and cars are parked in their normal random way, so I pull forward start to reverse round one to get into the side road where my space is and she opens the door almost hitting the car I am reversing round, luckily she heeded may warning and shut the door !!

MiL travels in the back - and we've learned to activate the child lock so she can't open the door herself!

Actually annoys me every time at this time of year.......my allergy to tree pollens :(

MiL travels in the back - and we've learned to activate the child lock so she can't open the door herself!

Only 2 doors and she can't get in the back, answer is she won't be getting in the front in future either

Only 2 doors and she can't get in the back, answer is she won't be getting in the front in future either

Always lock your car doors when driving! I used not to and then one day, with dogs on the back seat, I was in stationary traffic on the motorway and there was some disturbance (road rage?) a few cars in front. Driver got out, walked back and yanked open the door of the car behind. I thought “if that were mine the dogs’d be all over the motorway. I’ve always locked the doors, dogs or not, ever since :(.

My dads Corsa does that automatically once the car goes above 20mph and stays locked till the engine goes off. Im sure both our newer cars will do it but it would annoy the heck out of me as I use a lot of places where you have to stop and open gates to access

My dads Corsa does that automatically once the car goes above 20mph and stays locked till the engine goes off. Im sure both our newer cars will do it but it would annoy the heck out of me as I use a lot of places where you have to stop and open gates to access

Me too and to be honest I don’t lock the doors then and I wouldn’t probably be doing more than 20mph in those places :).

Blue skies and sunshine this afternoon, so decided it was time for a walk, 15 minutes later it decides to snow, not handy when your out without a jacket, in for the night now and it’s started again, just in time as the temperatures drop.

11 month old fitbit knackered. Fitbit will replace it free of charge but I am annoyed by the amount of electronic waste there is due to companies making products that don't last.

You can turn that off so they don't lock automatically...

Why do you think it will stop you getting out to open the gates? The auto locking doesn't stop you from opening the doors from inside, even with the engine running.

Last edited:
Finding a UK web blog talking about a compact camera with full functions such as A/S/P and full manual, and the writer referring it to a" point and shoot".
I read no further, I clicked the website off.

Back