WAMT....what annoyed me today!

WAMT Facebook advertisers using "celebrities" and "official" (not) BBC reports (not) to sell investment schemes by just depositing £200 and letting the "experts" invest your money, giving almost instant returns. Do people still fall for this **** ???

Last edited:
Buying a pack of chicken breasts at Tesco
got home one looks like it’s been fed on steroids for its entire life, the other from a rare dwarf chicken

WAMT - The doctor asking me to take my 98 year old mum's blood pressure measurements, first thing in the morning and last thing at night for a week. (That may not seem like much to the casual reader) I've had it with the NHS now, after they sent her home to live, on her own, in her house, with a broken arm, type 2 diabetes, macular degeneration, deafness, with no care in place. This was the last straw, after running around for two weeks to get enablement care and aids put in place. I flatly refused! I haven't had a full night's sleep in two weeks. I was shaking and very angry. The system is completely broken. Nurse Gladys Emanuel, we need you. What does the S in NHS stand for?

WAMT - The doctor asking me to take my 98 year old mum's blood pressure measurements, first thing in the morning and last thing at night for a week. (That may not seem like much to the casual reader) I've had it with the NHS now, after they sent her home to live, on her own, in her house, with a broken arm, type 2 diabetes, macular degeneration, deafness, with no care in place. This was the last straw, after running around for two weeks to get enablement care and aids put in place. I flatly refused! I haven't had a full night's sleep in two weeks. I was shaking and very angry. The system is completely broken. Nurse Gladys Emanuel, we need you. What does the S in NHS stand for?
My sister in law had a hip replacement and got an infection which spread to her spine. Almost quadriplegic, just slight arm function.
She fell into that gap where the medical team finished responsibility and there was almost zero handover to after care. Last time they discharged her, her son got a phone call to say they were bringing her home to her empty house. It was 4 in the morning.
Your family have my sympathy and support.

My sister in law had a hip replacement and got an infection which spread to her spine. Almost quadriplegic, just slight arm function.
She fell into that gap where the medical team finished responsibility and there was almost zero handover to after care. Last time they discharged her, her son got a phone call to say they were bringing her home to her empty house. It was 4 in the morning.
Your family have my sympathy and support.
The system is completely broken. If it was a ship, it would have sunk. Too much technology and too few people. When I was in the hospital there were more people "talking" to computer screens, than those looking after patients! Now, I am broken too! Struggling to function. If I was a horse, they would shoot me.

The system is completely broken. If it was a ship, it would have sunk. Too much technology and too few people. When I was in the hospital there were more people "talking" to computer screens, than those looking after patients! Now, I am broken too! Struggling to function. If I was a horse, they would shoot me.

This is almost unbelievable, really.

There's also superfluous tech.
My last appt. was with Rheumatology and at the entrance was a touch screen to book in to your appt. I logged in and when to the indicated waiting area. The noticed a handwritten sign say, let a nurse know you're here. I did so and asked why I needed to, only to be told that their computer isn’t linked to the touch screen system.

This is almost unbelievable, really.
When we got care sorted for the Sister in law, she had 3 visits a day. They were in time slots, not fixed times. So if the midday crew turned up at the end of the slot and the evening crew at the start of their slot, she got dinner an hour after lunch.

My dad died in 1999 and I made a conscious decision to help my mam more than I did my dad. As her health deteriorated she relied on me more and more and eventually this was one of the main reasons I left paid employment at the age of 49, At times life was very hard especially as my family refused to help and became toxic but on the positive side my mam didn't have to go into a home and had someone with her and everything done for her until the day she died.

I have several horror stories to tell about the NHS relating to my mams care and indeed my own too and politically incorrect as I may be I refuse to believe its problems are all down to evil Tories depriving it of money. I think the problems go much deeper than that.

Years ago a DSS investigator told me that people usually don't start out being dishonest, it was he said incompetence that lead to dishonesty as people tried to cover up what they'd done and I'm certain this applies across many of our public institutions although I would argue that a lack of accountability and access to huge funds are a big part of it too. IMHO the NHS needs serious and far reaching reform including sackings and even prosecutions.

My dad died in 1999 and I made a conscious decision to help my mam more than I did my dad. As her health deteriorated she relied on me more and more and eventually this was one of the main reasons I left paid employment at the age of 49, At times life was very hard especially as my family refused to help and became toxic but on the positive side my mam didn't have to go into a home and had someone with her and everything done for her until the day she died.

I have several horror stories to tell about the NHS relating to my mams care and indeed my own too and politically incorrect as I may be I refuse to believe its problems are all down to evil Tories depriving it of money. I think the problems go much deeper than that.

Years ago a DSS investigator told me that people usually don't start out being dishonest, it was he said incompetence that lead to dishonesty as people tried to cover up what they'd done and I'm certain this applies across many of our public institutions although I would argue that a lack of accountability and access to huge funds are a big part of it too. IMHO the NHS needs serious and far reaching reform including sackings and even prosecutions.
At 49, I would have been able to cope but my physical and mental health are shattered now. I've gone from being a helpful son to being a "nominated" (septegenarian) carer in a matter of days, chasing information and care that should have been given to me before she left the hospital, sorting carers and physical aids, alarms etc., along with running two households. I've had little sleep for two weeks now and almost "lost it", in front of mum and the doctor. I left the room, went back to apologise to mum, then left everything to the carers (not been back since). I just needed a complete break but it is with you every time you stop doing something practical, close your eyes or try to sleep. Next step, some help/care for me.

At 49, I would have been able to cope but my physical and mental health are shattered now. I've gone from being a helpful son to being a "nominated" (septegenarian) carer in a matter of days, chasing information and care that should have been given to me before she left the hospital, sorting carers and physical aids, alarms etc., along with running two households. I've had little sleep for two weeks now and almost "lost it", in front of mum and the doctor. I left the room, went back to apologise to mum, then left everything to the carers (not been back since). I just needed a complete break but it is with you every time you stop doing something practical, close your eyes or try to sleep. Next step, some help/care for me.
I can't imagine the stresses & strains that you have been under.

I don't know about your area and your GP practice but on the occasions I have been to my GP surgery there is a pop-up banner poster that is addressed to carers with information for them to make contact for help for themselves.....of whatever age.

I sincerely hope that you can find some support for you and your well being very soon.

All the best to going forward.

Although my car passing its MOT was a CMUT moment, it needs both batteries replacing (well, they are the 10 year old originals, so expected!) and a pair of rear tyres. Never mind, it's only money! (AND it's a LOT cheaper than kids/grandkids!!!)

WAMT Pharmacists doing even more of doctors work. My local pharmacy looks like a war zone! Scruffy, untidy, floor and walls look like they haven't been properly cleaned for years and the (usually locum) pharmacists all look worn out! Note to self - change pharmacy!

Note to self - change pharmacy!
Which will only make matters worse.

A programme on TV a little while ago pointed out that pharmacies are caught in a pincer with the NHS dictating how much the pharmacy can charge for each prescription and the drug companies increasing their prices without regard to that. As the pharmacy is a contractor to the NHS, it has no leeway and many are just closing down...

Once again, there is no-one to blame other than the old firm of Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss and Sunak, pratts to the gentry.

What annoys me every day (and I may have mentioned this before) is people who use acronyms for technical terms, without first using the full name, so we know what they're talking about. It isn't clever and it isn't big!

What annoys me every day (and I may have mentioned this before) is people who use acronyms for technical terms, without first using the full name, so we know what they're talking about. It isn't clever and it isn't big!
I see quite a few people doing that on here, using internet abbreviations or making them up as they go along.
And yes it annoys the hell out of me too,
I mean seriously? WTF is that all about? IDK.

:D

When I worked in Science and Engineering, it was often necessary to write a proposal, project plan or even a handbook and normal practice was the set out the item in full with the acronym first time then it was considered reasonable to use the acronym from there on.

Dave

set out the item in full with the acronym first time then it was considered reasonable to use the acronym from there on.
That's fair enough, but jumbled letters with no explanation... :(

Last edited:
People do this at my work all the time - they sit in endless meetings talking about all these things using abbreviations and forget us coal face people have far less familiarity with the terms

People do this at my work all the time - they sit in endless meetings talking about all these things using abbreviations and forget us coal face people have far less familiarity with the terms
I think some companies and departments within them like to create cliques & factions.......quite tribal and arguably poor for internal cohesion and productivity.

I think some companies and departments within them like to create cliques & factions.......quite tribal and arguably poor for internal cohesion and productivity.
I've never worked in an office type of environment. ( Thank god, that'd drive me nuts)
Pesties tend to be loners and straight talkers, with no time for Bovine Poop.

You here it all the time during interviews on TV and radio and the presenters have to interrupt to tell viewers/listeners what it means...or worse,have to ask the guest on behalf of viewers/listeners. It's basically a lack of awareness of those who aren't familiar with the jargon which is a bit telling really when you consider the audience is usally in the millions.

Last edited:

People who really should know better do it in articles in the Royal Aeronautical Society magazine. Usually it's acronym heavy and they'll all appear in full form once..........except one. It's a good way of getting you to read at least the first bit of the article six times in case you missed it and very frustrating when you find it's really not there and you're left either guessing or non the wiser depending on the subject.

Acrow props I have found, were very useful for keeping stuff above your head. Acronyms and they usually go straight overthe top!

People that can't follow a thread because of acronyms, me included
Which brings me to the subject of people who make posts in threads intended to show how cool/clever/laid back/or whatever they are.

I think they perform a public service, proving to the rest of us that there are people out there stupider than we are... :whistle:

You mean like pointing out the fact that you lot are arguing about abbreviations and not acronyms? :coat:

You mean like pointing out the fact that you lot are arguing about abbreviations and not acronyms? :coat:
"An acronym is a word or name consisting of parts of the full name's words. Sometimes, initialism[1] or alphabetism is used to refer to acronyms formed from the string of initials which are usually pronounced as individual letters, as in the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation)"

The two terms are largely interchangeable in modern English. See...

Andrew Flannigan
saltireblue-
Tringa
Cobra
Willid1
Box Brownie
Cockney
Jannyfox (I think)

me.........:)
Sorry, post meant to infer WGAS means, who gives a sh*t in reply to guesses further up, quote didn’t work and I didn’t check.

Unfortunately, I'm too old to speak dumbed down, bastardised, Americanised, lazy modern English. :rolleyes:
Ah!

Old enough to have forgotten nanny's injunction not to say anything, if you can't say something nice... ;)

Back