Want a cheaper GPS for your Nikon.... How about a Yongnuo N-918/N1 GPS

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
After owning a cheaper version of a GPS for a Nikon just to see how good these gadgets were I decided to buy the real mccoy of a Nikon GP-1 GPS.. Realising that I wasn't going to use it as much as I thought I sold it due to lack of use esp for a £190 gadget..

So, then this little chappie the Yongnuo N-918/N1 GPS came along at around a 1/3 of the price of a Nikon GP-1 unit at £60 delivered from HK..

Its nice an small at it seems from memory slightly smaller than the Nikon GP-1 but looks very very similar..

Fits snuggle to the hotshoe without any movement/play so it wont fall out..

The 10pin connector lead is a lot smaller (about 3-4in) than the GP-1 but this is a fixed lead on the N-918 as the GP-1 lead can be removed & the additional D90 lead can be attached depending on which camera body you have..

It took its time at first to find the satelite but soon found it after actually getting out of the house & standing in the garden :confused:

It slowly blinks green - showing that its finding the satelite then blinks quickly once found & then records the data.

It records the data on the rear screen once you scroll thru the data on that particular image just like the GP-1 did.

The location is the same as the GP-1 & shows virtually the exact spot to where the shot was taken bearing in mind the distance from the camera to the satelite 100's of miles up..

Its not an in your face gadget when attached to the camera nor is the price - I got mine for £60 delivered & arrived in approx 2 weeks of hitting the payment button.

The only real difference being is that with this N-918 you get the GPS unit & a shutter release & thats it.. No manual or anything else..

IIRC with the GP-1 you get 2 leads one was a 10pin connector lead & the other was similar to a small USB connector lead, you also got a strap adaptor & a thick manual & a Nikon box -but then again your getting a £190+ Nikon GPS :LOL:

So in short if your looking for a cheap GPS for a Nikon & dont really fancy coughing up around 3x as much then this little gadget is a cracker & does exactley the same as the real McCoy......

very interesting. I'm going to have to look around and see if I can look at one in person. I put off GPS on pictures thinking it was a gimmick. But now that I'm traveling a lot it would be a cool way to track where I've been in aperture.

thanks
rick

very interesting. I'm going to have to look around and see if I can look at one in person. I put off GPS on pictures thinking it was a gimmick. But now that I'm traveling a lot it would be a cool way to track where I've been in aperture.

thanks
rick

For £60 you cant really go wrong - I had the real thing but for £190+ it was a lot of money for a gadget that wouldn't get much use...

Only got this one as were going to the States in November so will use it there plus it was only £60 (used up the remaining PP balance I had sitting there :LOL:)

I'm not sure if you'll find it in the shops thou unless your going to be looking at the Nikon GP-1...

I doubt that they'll do a Canon version :crying:

I was thinking about a gps unit but the nikon price put me off but for sixty quid this is much more of an acceptible price :)

I was thinking about a gps unit but the nikon price put me off but for sixty quid this is much more of an acceptible price :)

And it does exactly the same as the GP-1 for a lot less £'s :D

I've just picked up one of these, so after using it for a year how are you finding the camera battery life?

I dont use it all that much so cant really comment on the battery life - I did use it for 2 weeks whilst in the states last year thou...

I wasn't really noting the battery drain as I was alternating the batteries & charging them overnight, but iirc (EL4a's) they went down to about half charge but then again I left the camera on 99% of the time we was out & about....

I was/am using both EL3e's (D700) & EL4a's (grip) if that helps...

Hello

I have also purchase one for my d7000. I plugged it is and it is flashing green very quickly. If i press the butoon down its shows the GPS symbol on the screen, but when I checked the data, it shows the picture was taken in 2011!!! I checked the GPS details in the camera and they have been reset to the GPS, The GPS is showing 2011 and the co-ordinates are 22 41.626 113 58.584 (I have checked these and they are near Huaning Road, Hong Kong, not South Bedfordshire) How long did it take to find the satelites please.

I would say its been plugged in for about 20 mins in doors but next to the window, I have turned the camera on with the GPS fitted and left it in the garden. I have gone back and checked and it is still flashing green very quickly.

Thanks

Ants

Hello

after an hour and a half sitting on the table outside the closest location it would pin point me was Thaxted Rd, Saffron Walden which is 30 miles away :crying: :crying:

I never had much luck with it either. I went shooting along the Devon coast last year and when I got back to my computer all the images were tagged with a North Wales location :s.

I've not used mine for quite a while nor the camera saying that, I will shot a pic an see what the gps location gives me... Where did you get yours from James, out of curiousity really as if it was the same fella then its prob a different batch, but if it was someone else then maybe its a dodgy one... Then again what aint dodgy from the bay nowadays..

Last edited:
Back