Wanting to progress with my landscapes

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

So I've been into photography for nearly two years. I Definately wouldnt class myself as a professional but more a hobbyist, my passion is landscapes and I really want to push forward and improve the level of the photos I'm producing. :)

Not sure what I can do or try is reason I've started this thread. Hopefully the awesome people from TP can send me in the right direction. I've self taught myself so have never been on courses nor have I been to any photography meets.

Unfortunately none of my friends are into photography and my location in Bedford isn't the first choice for landscapes.

Cregennen Lakes.JPG Stevington Windmill.jpg
Cromer colour.jpg
Sgwd Gwladus.JPG
St. Nectans Glen.JPG

Look forward to some responses :ty:

Kellett

Last edited:
Have you a link to some of your current images so people can see where you're at already?

And any idea of where you'd like to take things or what you're lacking in do you think?

:)

Dave

Uploaded a selection of photos hopefully give you a better idea, In terms of 'where to take things' I would like to get to a standard to start entering competitions and possibly sell the odd print in my local area.
My PP skills are of a low technical ability and Im unsure if my photos will be improved via this or by furthering my camera Knowledge/technique....

Kellett

104 views and no comments

Be patient man, your post is hardly a day old
and, maybe as I, people need time to look,
appreciate and react.

I don't feel ready yet, I'll come back later! CU.

I don't think you're photographic ability needs honing....... More likely you need a bigger travel budget and get away from the usual rules of landscape photography

Hey @kellett Ill get the ball rolling, before I do though, I have only been using my Camera proper since Dec. So what would I know.... anyways,

1. Is a nice shot, but I'm not sure what the subject is, I'm assuming the reflection of the mountain, but the water isn't calm enough to do that justice, perhaps a longer shutter speed to smooth out the water movement?
2. The scene is devoid of interest apart from the obvious windmill, which is isolated right on the edge of the frame, perhaps a tighter crop, or making the windmill the sole focus of the frame may have worked better.
3. I quite like this, I think the object in this instance is positioned to far in to the frame.
4. The corner darkness overwhelms the image, also the water movement has been cropped a little, would have preferred more focus on the waterfall and water movement.
5. Again a nice shot, I think a more shallow depth of field would have worked well here, with the archway being in critical focus and the background waterfall blurred out a little would have been a nice effect.
6. This is a nice shot/scene I would have been tempted to move round a little more to the left and tried to reduce the sun glare coming in from the left of the frame. A tighter crop on the boats would work also.
7 / 8 . Nice landscapes, just lacking that wow factor, perhaps an additional human element i.e walkers or cars would have added more to the images, for number 7 I would have preferred to have seen more of the road sweeping through the landscape.

Regards
Geoff

Planning, location and light are the key ingredients. Being arsed to get up at silly o' clock, driving through the night, sleeping rough etc etc all contribute to the end product improving.

Iv always understood Light being the key to the end and all, something I haven't done is sleeping rough to 'get that shot' but from seeing some of your results I'm going to start to 'Be arsed' and step up my Game (y)

Hey @kellett Ill get the ball rolling, before I do though, I have only been using my Camera proper since Dec. So what would I know.... anyways,

1. Is a nice shot, but I'm not sure what the subject is, I'm assuming the reflection of the mountain, but the water isn't calm enough to do that justice, perhaps a longer shutter speed to smooth out the water movement?
2. The scene is devoid of interest apart from the obvious windmill, which is isolated right on the edge of the frame, perhaps a tighter crop, or making the windmill the sole focus of the frame may have worked better.
3. I quite like this, I think the object in this instance is positioned to far in to the frame.
4. The corner darkness overwhelms the image, also the water movement has been cropped a little, would have preferred more focus on the waterfall and water movement.
5. Again a nice shot, I think a more shallow depth of field would have worked well here, with the archway being in critical focus and the background waterfall blurred out a little would have been a nice effect.
6. This is a nice shot/scene I would have been tempted to move round a little more to the left and tried to reduce the sun glare coming in from the left of the frame. A tighter crop on the boats would work also.
7 / 8 . Nice landscapes, just lacking that wow factor, perhaps an additional human element i.e walkers or cars would have added more to the images, for number 7 I would have preferred to have seen more of the road sweeping through the landscape.

Regards
Geoff

Thanks for the response Geoff. I've taking some things on board and from what I can see I'm not delegating the finer details to the finishing product. Need to take a step back and check what I need in my compositions.

AFAIAC, the very first look at the picture tells me if,
quite subjectively, I like it or not. The second will
reveal their qualities or flaws, both technical and of
any artistic nature.

I see, in your presented shots, a good eye and a
sense for tasteful renditions and you're doing good!

A subject may not seem to change but over a day,
a week or over the seasons quite dramatic scenes
may be captured from the same spot… that's the
image hunter passionate work.

Beauty is
everywhere, anytime!

Last edited:
David covers the main points...planning shots and trying to get there in good light makes a big difference. Landscape photography isn't easy, it's a slow, gradual process and you'll always be learning. Don't think that the photos from the top pros have been taken on the first trip to an unknown location, they certainly haven't...they've researched, they planned and they've probably visited numerous times to get that one great shot they're happy to show you.

The more you get out, the more chances you have of catching good light and the more photos you take the more in tune you become with what works for you...I don't generally give feedback on images as it's very much personal, we all see and like different things, the main consideration is does it work for you! Certainly looks like you're heading in the right direction to me, just put in a bit more planning and get out in that light and your shots will get better and better

Simon

Last edited:
@Simon Kitt - Thanks for taking the time to write your book Simon. I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering purchasing. I should know...I'm on my second copy as some thieving s***e pinched it off my table at Mc Donalds in Chester (on the way back from a sunrise shot in Talacre)

Last edited:

IFAIAC, the very first look at the picture tells me if,
quite subjectively, I like it or not. The second will
reveal their qualities or flaws, both technical and of
any artistic nature.

I see, in your presented shots, a good eye and a
sense for tasteful renditions and you're doing good!

A subject may not seem to change but over a day,
a week or over the seasons quite dramatic scenes
may be captured from the same spot… that's the
image hunter passionate work.

Beauty is
everywhere, anytime!

IFAIAC????

David covers the main points...planning shots and trying to get there in good light makes a big difference. Landscape photography isn't easy, it's a slow, gradual process and you'll always be learning. Don't think that the photos from the top pros have been taken on the first trip to an unknown location, they certainly haven't...they've researched, they planned and they've probably visited numerous times to get that one great shot they're happy to show you.

The more you get out, the more chances you have of catching good light and the more photos you take the more in tune you become with what works for you...I don't generally give feedback on images as it's very much personal, we all see and like different things, the main consideration is does it work for you! Certainly looks like you're heading in the right direction to me, just put in a bit more planning and get out in that light and your shots will get better and better

Simon

Thanks to both for your responses greatly appreciated :)

…as far as I am concerned.

None of the pictures are too shabby. The windmill is fine where it is near the edge. Some people will try to tell you it should be at a third but this is a clear case where you should avoid the rule.

The first picture in the second set has a lot of flare at the left edge - I do not like flare and cannot see how it improves the picture. A lens hood would have improved the shot to my mind.

@Simon Kitt - Thanks for taking the time to write your book Simon. I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering purchasing. I should know...I'm on my second copy as some thieving s***e pinched it off my table at Mc Donalds in Chester (on the way back from a sunrise shot in Talacre)

Cheers Geoff...glad you're finding it handy, hope the person who pinched your first copy isn't finding it so useful though ;-)

Hi Kellet

Overall I think your photography has real promise and it's good that you can see that there's still plenty more you can do. Some nifty post production would certainly help lift your images, plus I think they tend to lack a bit of the X factor in the composition and content department. Camera knowledge and technique are obviously important, but I think a fresh approach to your picture making is the way for you to go. Choosing a subject and deciding on the mechanics are essential bits of the process, but so too is the often forgotten reasoning of 'Why' you want to make the picture.

I think it was Ansel Adams that once said something like “There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Anyhow, do explore the 'Why' element. It really is an essential piece of the jigsaw.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Sam D

Hi Kellet

Overall I think your photography has real promise and it's good that you can see that there's still plenty more you can do. Some nifty post production would certainly help lift your images, plus I think they tend to lack a bit of the X factor in the composition and content department. Camera knowledge and technique are obviously important, but I think a fresh approach to your picture making is the way for you to go. Choosing a subject and deciding on the mechanics are essential bits of the process, but so too is the often forgotten reasoning of 'Why' you want to make the picture.

I think it was Ansel Adams that once said something like “There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Anyhow, do explore the 'Why' element. It really is an essential piece of the jigsaw.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Sam D

Some good critique Sam-D hopefully the X-factor will come from being on location with time to spare instead of rushing around to the minute to find a workable composition (my own fault) Would love to get some recommendations to some good Lightroom PP tutorials (I have used the ones of the adobe website but not got on with them)

Hi Kellet,
I think you have a fine landscape style.

The only thing I can add on top of what has already been said is to try limiting yourself. I know it sounds strange, but if you give yourself a week with a 135mm prime, you might find yourself seeing things differently. Then try a week with a big-stopper or something. Get experimental and go to your favourite spots at night.

More coffee...

You seem pretty good already, so keep at it and keep honing your technical skills and especially compositions (which I think is more important than technique). While Bedford might not be great for landscapes, you have the Chilterns AONB nearby - it's surely worth exploring that area rather than regularly travelling hundreds of miles to the likes of Scotland/Wales etc. You probably have a better chance of finding your own style that way

Hi Kellet,
I think you have a fine landscape style.

The only thing I can add on top of what has already been said is to try limiting yourself. I know it sounds strange, but if you give yourself a week with a 135mm prime, you might find yourself seeing things differently. Then try a week with a big-stopper or something. Get experimental and go to your favourite spots at night.

More coffee...

Like this way of thinking might have to just stick to one focal length on my 24-120mm as investing in 2 new lenses I don't think is the right answer

You seem pretty good already, so keep at it and keep honing your technical skills and especially compositions (which I think is more important than technique). While Bedford might not be great for landscapes, you have the Chilterns AONB nearby - it's surely worth exploring that area rather than regularly travelling hundreds of miles to the likes of Scotland/Wales etc. You probably have a better chance of finding your own style that way

Somewhere iv not really explored quick look through Google images and there seems to be some good locations that would test skills and abilities more so than the cliché locations in the UK

Looks like you have the basics covered, a couple of the compositions could be stronger

I'm also a strong believer that tops of hills/mountains make for great views but rarely great photos, so fine to shoot if you're hill-walking anyway, but I'd never suggest specifically walking up a big hill for a shot; in the time it takes to get up & down again us low-lever shooters can have several locations in the bag :)

I also agree with the challenge idea of limiting yourself, its something I often do on my courses too where I limit people to one focal length and one aperture, both of which they need to decide upon in advance of knowing what they are shooting

How best to progress... books rather than net for me, but online find & follow photographers whose work you admire and then try to copy what they've done. Once you can dissect work well enough to shoot similar yourself then you'll see your own style coming through, trying to recreate a great image can be a useful exercise in itself

I'd also suggest you find a mate, pref 3 for car-share, who's good at landscapes too, so when you're out & about you can 'see' through their eyes too and discuss what you're doing & why

Dave

Lots of good points already posted.

I am also quite new to landscape photography and am finding a few things - these are working for me, but may be too simplistic for others:

Get out to a location and take lots of shots with small changes between them. This is really helping me with composition as it gives me time to review and see what works for me (on my computer - at home).
I took around 200 shots at Tarn Hows and from going through them I discovered that the position of the foreground rock and how it broke through from one part of the scene to another made the picture really stand out to me.
I would not have spotted that without reviewing multiple options. In time I will hopefully be able to spot this type of thing but it needs to be learned (well - it does in my case :) )

Get up early / stay out late and have a nap in the afternoon - the light and lack of people makes the job much easier :)

Bracket your shots. I take a 3 shot bracket most of the time. I may not use them in a merge - but sometimes a higher (or lower) key image stands out from the others

Practice post processing - it is a skill and I must admit that I enjoy getting home and working on my images.

Cover lots of focal lengths - I carry 3 lenses and can cover 17 to 200mm - as with the first point above - small changes can include focal length as well as moving the camera / tripod.

Hello Kellet, some great stuff here mate. Some good tips given, tbh I think youve got more than enough in your locker already. It seems to me that whatever youve been doing upto this point has served you well so just keep going and youll just keep learning and improving. I really think one of the best tips is the time of day, right season etc. It really is all about the light and waiting for the right time to capture it. I can vouch for the Chilterns as being good areas, Im just down the road from you nr Luton and yeah it can be frustrating location wise but Iv found some good places, chilterns, ashridge, Dunstable Downs, tring reservoirs... Youve got some nice lakes and river up your way...plenty of woodland too. Good luck with your quest...and keep in touch

I think you have some good work above Kellett.

I'd like to offer some meager helpful advice as a enthusiastic long suffering amateur!
I'm not a sycophant (wow that's a big word for Monday) But i'd recommend reading blogs etc from the Pros like @DG Phototraining (no he's not paying me:)) but i had a day with a Pro about 5 years ago and learn more in a day than i had for a long time.
Also know your camera inside out. Like driving your car, when you learnt it was all fingers and thumbs and uncertainty, now when you drive its an automatic instinct you don't even think about it .... so it should be with your camera.
Although i hate to say it being proficient at Post is so important nowadays and can turn a good shot into a great shot!
Read as much as you can and study other peoples photos and critique them, and when you frame your shots you will begin to critique your own work as you frame the shot and start composing differently.
Hope that's of some use good luck mate

Dup Post please ignore

Hi @kellett ... as others have said, your photos are not without skill at all, so keep it up. It looks to me you're a good bit ahead of where my photography is, so I look forward to taking shots as good as those consistently (y) I struggle slightly because I split my photography between landscape, portrait and product stuff - if you concentrate on less, I'd expect your rate of progress to be higher...

One thing I have wanted to do for a long time and don't - but I'd suggest it for you - is to take your laptop with you. Clearly not a great idea if you're going up a mountain but leave it in the car and review your images as soon as you're back in the car. Being able to check and potentially go back out and reshoot should lead to a more direct connection between what you're doing and images created... a stronger feedback loop if you will.

Thanks for everyone's feedback its greatly appreciated (y)

How best to progress... books rather than net for me, but online find & follow photographers whose work you admire and then try to copy what they've done. Once you can dissect work well enough to shoot similar yourself then you'll see your own style coming through, trying to recreate a great image can be a useful exercise in itself

Just taken delivery for three books by three of my favourite photographers :)

I'd also suggest you find a mate, pref 3 for car-share, who's good at landscapes too, so when you're out & about you can 'see' through their eyes too and discuss what you're doing & why

Maybe @ The Princess & I we could sort a little trip for few sun rise and sunsets as your not to far down the road?

But i'd recommend reading blogs etc from the Pros like @DG Phototraining

Will take a butchers at this also I would like to do a workshop later in the year, something I have started looking into
but I'd suggest it for you - is to take your laptop with you

Like this idea but unfortunately I only own a desktop PC might look into getting a tablet :)

Maybe @ The Princess & I we could sort a little trip for few sun rise and sunsets as your not to far down the road?

Barnsley is crap too lol

I'm having a few days in the Lakes soon in my own version of a 'camper', such trips are MY trips for ME, but others are welcome to tag along & meet up at various points (its less boring that way tbh), so I'll try to remember to post about those in the Meetings bit

I have enough 1-2-1s and up to 3-2-1s for now (up to 3 as we can all go about in one car that way), but no doubt I'll be renting a house in the Lakes again for 'Autumn colours' where up to 12 of us go out & about for a few days and swap stories on an evening :)

Dave

Barnsley is crap too lol

I'm having a few days in the Lakes soon in my own version of a 'camper', such trips are MY trips for ME, but others are welcome to tag along & meet up at various points (its less boring that way tbh), so I'll try to remember to post about those in the Meetings bit

I have enough 1-2-1s and up to 3-2-1s for now (up to 3 as we can all go about in one car that way), but no doubt I'll be renting a house in the Lakes again for 'Autumn colours' where up to 12 of us go out & about for a few days and swap stories on an evening :)

Dave

Might have to take u up on that Dave (y)depending if I'm on shift will keep an I out for more info!!! The lakes sound pretty cool somewhere I haven't adventured up to!!!

I can see by the images posted above that you make the effort to visit Wales on occasion so suggest you keep an eye out in the meeting section. We usually have a few landscape meets in the Brecon Beacons and various other locations through the year and you would be more than welcome to come along and pick our brains as much as you like. I can't promise you'll learn much from the sad bunch that normally turn up be we will at least have a laugh and a good bit of banter.

I can see by the images posted above that you make the effort to visit Wales on occasion so suggest you keep an eye out in the meeting section. We usually have a few landscape meets in the Brecon Beacons and various other locations through the year and you would be more than welcome to come along and pick our brains as much as you like. I can't promise you'll learn much from the sad bunch that normally turn up be we will at least have a laugh and a good bit of banter.

One of my favourite places to go in the UK can't get enough of Wales will defo keep an eye out. Can never have to much banter sounds right up my street

Best advice is to chill, relax and not to ask for too much advice on forums. Likewise when trying to establish your own style of doing things going in a group might not work either. You can sometimes put pressure on yourself in these situations when you see everyone snapping away and you think "I can't see owt so what are they taking pictures of?". I suppose it all depends what you are trying to accomplish with your photography. I would prize individuality highest. For that you need to do your own thing, explore, take lots of images and then analyse which ones have the most emotional impact on you. At the end of the day if an image doesn't have some sort of emotional impact then its not a successful image in my opinion. Your images show a lot of promise but you need to take your own images, not other peoples.

I don't do a massive amount of processing but some would say that you need to know photoshop backwards and forwards to succeed. Workshops have been mentioned a few times in the thread and if you were looking to learn photoshop as well as landscape photography then I would heartily recommend an old pal of mine, Billy Currie. If there is anyone better in the UK at photoshop and implementing it successfully and seamlessly into landscape photography then I have yet to meet them.

Back