Warehouse Express Prices

SimonTALM

Linford Christie
Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
:eek: I've just been trawling the prices at warehouse express and I can't believe the prices I'm seeing (and not in a good way either).

I'm guessing they've just run out of stock on a whole lot of items and there are new prices as they used to be one of the best value companies out there. If these prices are a sign of things to come then any one who is thinking of buying kit best do it now, I can't imagine that the lower priced stocks elsewhere will last long.

examples (cheapest price now in brackets): Nikon 70-200VR £1489 (£1315), Nikon 18-70mm £295 (£194) :eek:, Nikon 18-200VR £530 (£490).

Crazy ... and a shame how things are transpiring :crying:

Checkout their prices for the Sigma 300-800 .. that will make you cry!

For the first time tonight I actually found an item from a UK seller on ebay that was cheaper than WEX, I was shocked.

I was thinking the same thing. I've noticed they are more expensive than Jessops on quite a few things too, or at least they were last week when I had a look around.

As far as price rises go though I had a look at the 85mm 1.2L Canon lens a couple of months ago and it was less than £1300. It's now around £1750. I couldn't afford it in the first place but these price rises are getting quite prohibitive on stuff that was affordable.

A lot of there prices have shot up, when I went in they wouldn't even price match. Not good:crying:

Tell me about it. I bought a nikon 70-300 AF-S VR for £290 a month ago and WHE had the same lens for £415:eek::eek::eek:

I don't know if they are trying to pay for the new warehouse in the financial year or what but it seems that they are going beyond the manufacturer price hikes :shrug:

not quite in the same league as a lens but it's not just lenses this is happening too. Take a 200g bar of chocolate, cadbury's for arguments sake. Late last year a bar was typically £1.30, then it rose to £1.55, and now the going rate is £1.91.

Sadly, I think recessions are when availability slumps and prices rocket. If you don't need to buy now then wait it out. Sooner or later prices will drop back a bit and wages will rise to counter balance. And so the whole cycle starts again...

But I want it now! :( :razz:

:D

:eek: I've just been trawling the prices at warehouse express and I can't believe the prices I'm seeing (and not in a good way either).

I'm guessing they've just run out of stock on a whole lot of items and there are new prices as they used to be one of the best value companies out there. If these prices are a sign of things to come then any one who is thinking of buying kit best do it now, I can't imagine that the lower priced stocks elsewhere will last long.

examples (cheapest price now in brackets): Nikon 70-200VR £1489 (£1315), Nikon 18-70mm £295 (£194) :eek:, Nikon 18-200VR £530 (£490).

Remember March 1st was the date for the official Nikon price rises, so you might find other places are just as expensive now too....

WE started putting their prices up in january & have seen a couple of rises since.

I was following a 600mm Canon F4 in Jan, was abt £5,300, The day I was going to order one it went up to £6,400 around 2nd week in Jan, I got mine elsewhere that week by which time it had gone up again to £7,200.

If WHE have their prices for the 1st March Nikon price hike, then that's understandable. However, they have been so high for at least a week now, if not more.

Also, I can't see the £ exchange rate, or any other factor causing the Sigma 300-800 to go from under £4,000 a couple of months ago, to £7,000 today! That's a 75% price increase in two months. The £ didn't suddenly drop by 75%, otherwise the public would be having Gordon Balls for breakfast!

Maybe people have simply bought up all the existing stock at the old prices :shrug:

Its not just camera gear that gone through the roof though, a lot of hand tools that I need have gone up by ridiculous amounts, sometimes as much as 80-90% :wacky:

I'm just concerned we will will never see the prices return to 'normal' again!!

Maybe people have simply bought up all the existing stock at the old prices :shrug:

I suspect that this is the case

If WHE have their prices for the 1st March Nikon price hike, then that's understandable. However, they have been so high for at least a week now, if not more.

Also, I can't see the £ exchange rate, or any other factor causing the Sigma 300-800 to go from under £4,000 a couple of months ago, to £7,000 today! That's a 75% price increase in two months. The £ didn't suddenly drop by 75%, otherwise the public would be having Gordon Balls for breakfast!

I suspect the problem WE have is how do they buy new stock if the trade prices are higher than the retail prices the last batch they bought without putting the prices up a bit early.

I'm not 100% sure but I suspect that part of the problem we have in the UK is that items are brought into the EU from Japan and those prices are going up due to the € / Yen exchange rate and only then are the items are brought into the UK (GBP) where we loose on the € / £ exchange rate.

I'm not 100% sure but I suspect that part of the problem we have in the UK is that items are brought into the EU from Japan and those prices are going up due to the € / Yen exchange rate and only then are the items are brought into the UK (GBP) where we loose on the € / £ exchange rate.[/QUOTE said:
You are absolutely right. The increases are to do with the euro/ yen exchange rate. It has just been announced the Japan is also in recession, and because the cost of shipping goods from the far east has gone through the roof, it has a knock-on effect to the price we now have to pay in the high st. That's why dealers have been clearing stock at the old prices, but any new stock shipped in will be at the increased price.

I picked up a Sigma 10-20 from Warehouse Express for £312 a month or so ago when the first "40%" price rises were mentioned. It's still only £325 there.

Looked at the Nikon 16-85 at £388 at warehouse express, left it for a couple of days, went back and saw new stock asking £429.
an't blame the store, it has to go to Nikon for price increases. well i think so...:shrug:

Maybe people have simply bought up all the existing stock at the old prices :shrug::

There was plenty of talk of the impending rises within the industry as a whole on various photography forums back in December. With the £ vs Yen collapsing it was inevitable. I had been considering buying a 5D2 and did have an order in for one but actually changed my mind and bought a 1D3 instead. I would have much preferred to wait for a 1D4 but knew that it would end up being retailed at a price I would be unwilling to pay, hence the 1D3.

Either way, I suddenly found myself with an urgent need for some EF glass to add to my EF-S collection. I placed orders for four lenses with Warehouse Express at the old prices in January. Two have been delivered (50/1.4 and 85/1.8), one is in transit for delivery tomorrow (16-35/2.8L) and one is still out of stock (24-70/2.8L). Warehouse Express is honouring the old prices for old orders.

I think I was at number 54 in the backorder queue for the 24-70. If they are honouring old prices for so many old orders it is no wonder they are unable to discount or price match on new orders now. I should think the 5D2 has tipped a lot of people over the edge into getting new EF glass.

EDIT : The 16-35 turned up as promised and for the old price of "only" £923.99. Today's price is £1179.99. That's up £256 or 28%.

Last edited:
Actually, I was just checking WHE for Nikon's 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200VR and all these three are not in stock :shrug:

I say, let the market settle a bit before any major purchases; unless it is something very badly needed.

Crazy ... and a shame how things are transpiring :crying:

Checkout their prices for the Sigma 300-800 .. that will make you cry!

How chuffed am I that I bought mine 6 months ago...............:eek:

I thought buying it at the price, back when it was just around £4,000 was not a very good decision (of course, this is for pure hobby).

Seeing how much they're asking for them now, makes me realise how stupid I was :p

I picked up a Sigma 10-20 from Warehouse Express for £312 a month or so ago when the first "40%" price rises were mentioned. It's still only £325 there.

But.. I bought one of these about 18months ago for about £240!! I am staggered at how much this particular lens has gone up over the past 2 years :eek:

To be honest I haven't found WHX to be the cheapest for some time now. And now more than ever you really need to do your homework as to who actually has any stock and at what price. The Yen > £ issue already mentioned is key to the problem. Suppliers that buy in bulk as opposed to those that buy in smaller quantities appear to be the ones how have the best prices... but only at the moment, and whilst those stock last.

I was after a Sekonic light meter a few weeks ago, and depending on who you spoke to the price was either £195 or £249+ - old stock vs new stock.!

I've been looking at getting the Tamron 28-300 VC and that varies greatly from as low £425 (and in stock) right up to £489+ (and its listed as £469 at WHX).

The advice at the moment (and I agree) is get in when you can - it is not going to get any cheaper for a long time to come.

Back