"Warp speed Mr Zulu" !!

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I know it's been done before, but I wanted to have a go at it ! :D

The rain and spray messed them up a little, but I was quite chuffed for a 1st attempt ! :)

All taken with the Sigma 10-20, and as usual, all are clickable if you'd like to see larger versions.

The rain and spray messed them up a little, but I was quite chuffed for a 1st attempt ! :)

Please see my apology.

Last edited:
not bad for a first attempt...might have worked out better with more traffic or a longer shutter speed to get more lines in there.

Wow... that was harsh.
Surely if it hadn't been done by macker before then HE WAS trying something original.

I like em mate especially the first and if I get a chance may well give it a go myself!
Although with my tiny little fiesta i'm either gonna need to drive down a very big hill or use a 30 minute shutter speed...Now, where are those pesky klingon's... ;)

Why not try something original rather than doing something that someone else has done better before? Not for me.

That's a bit strong mate... You not heard of "inspiration" then ??

Macker, there much better than the ones I did, you seem to have got the camera quite stable, which is one of the biggest problems with this type of shot.

Personally I prefer #3 myself.

Steve

This forum sometimes is becoming just a tad like a certain other forum I left. The opening post had already stated that they knew that it had been done before. Maybe Macker was looking for some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.
How many shots out there are completely original? One that comes to mind is Ullswater jetty. Still sells well.
For me the shots are OK. but as already politely stated Kfridge, maybe more lights etc would improve it.

That's a bit strong mate... You not heard of "inspiration" then ??

I have seen many "inspiring" shots on this forum. None of these four is one of them. They may show the difficulty you have when taking shots over 20 or minutes in fading light in a car travelling at a variety of speeds and then applying loads of post processing. That's not a lesson I want to learn.

Well I like them. Well done Macker (y)
I've tried this before, and as said previously, the hardest part was getting a stable tipod, which you seem to have done.

Why not try something original rather than doing something that someone else has done better before? Not for me.

Because as he said in his original post 'but I wanted to have a go at it'

I personall like the shots and think they have good visual impact.

I have seen many "inspiring" shots on this forum. None of these four is one of them. They may show the difficulty you have when taking shots over 20 or minutes in fading light in a car travelling at a variety of speeds and then applying loads of post processing. That's not a lesson I want to learn.

I don't think that these shots were meant to be inspirational, they were meant as an example of shots that were taken having been inspired by others that have already tried this technique. They are not easy to get right so kudos for posting them for criticism...some of which has hopefully been useful.

Why not try something original rather than doing something that someone else has done better before?

Why bother posting at all if all you can think of to say is something rude? :thumbsdown:

Personally I think these are very effective. I agree that some more cars on the road to generate some more light trails would have improved the shots a little but that's all about tryinging something, seeing the results and improving them next time. Well done, looking forward to seeing the next attempt (y)

*comments removed*

To everyone else, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll certainly have another play with this technique on a dry night. The problem is finding a stretch of road in Stoke where you can actually travel for more than 4 or 5 seconds without hitting a pothole ! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. fair shout for giving it a try. Macker is sharing his enjoyment of photogaphy with us. at no point is he trying to inspire(though i do fancy giving it a go lol). i look through this forum and there are many things that arent for me. photography is subjective and there are parts which dont interest me. i dont feel the need to mention this when people post though :shrug:

any way Macker... how did you keep the camera so still and the shake to a minimum? good work (y)

rh1944, I've read a fair few of your posts where you say it's not for you. Fair enough but it's a somewhat regular occurrence which has left me wondering what IS for you?

I was intreagued enough to have a look and you have not posted a single image yourself that I can find. Perhaps you would be kind enough to enlighten us?

On the subject of plagiarism, how many times have we seen "woman facing backwards on a chair" But if you are getting something from the experience does it really matter? Is there truly anything original left to photograph?

As for the OP, it's good to try different shots even if they have been done before because you learn new techniques. I really want to have a go at the water drop shot because I've never done that. I would hope that I would learn more about lighting by doing so.

Good for you for having a go, that's what it is about.

I agree. I love having a try at new things FOR ME! That doesnt mean no-one has ever done them before but if they are new for me, then Im exciticed and it means I am moving on.

Great stuff, Macker. That's something I havent done yet, and when I do... I will be posting them, whether rh1944 likes them or not!! :D

how did you keep the camera so still and the shake to a minimum?
I just wedged the tripod down the side of the seats, wrapped the seatbelt around one the legs and released the shutter using the remote. I was surprised at how steady the whole thing was myself !

Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement :clap:(y)

The problem is finding a stretch of road in Stoke where you can actually travel for more than 4 or 5 seconds without hitting a pothole !

Not saying you should seek them out but it could put an interesting wiggle in your squiggle. :D

The amount of time that you have the shutter open for and the amount of direction change that you introduce are all great things to play with for this type of shot. It is what digi was invented for really, and it's great to be able to play and adjust what you do after looking at each shot.

I like. (y)

not bad for a first attempt ... better than i managed :clap:

rh1944: your comments are bang out of order :thumbsdown:

This is something I've been meaning to do for a while now, I think yours work very well!

Thats just plain rude, unnecessary and not the type of comment I associate with TP forums :puke:

Mmm, interesting how one person can upset so many, I joined early this year a complete beginner, I want people to be straight with me but not down right
rude. If you cannot be nice dont say anything.
I apologise if I have offended anyone else.:annoyed:

I think ya pics look bloody great, I want to have a go but I dont trust my wifes driving :wacky:

as previously mentioned, if you cant say something constructively, dont say it at all.. There has been a rise in general lack of manners and rudeness of late and we, the admin and mod team, are getting rather tired of it. We dont mind people giving negative comments, but there is a way to do it.

I like it, how did you have the camera and (presumably) tripod set up? Might give this a go if I can squeeze the equipment into my little run around :D

Macker ignoring everything else thats has been said , this is not an easy thing to do ( i know i have tried ) your shots have come out well and good enough to post , I like number three it gives a look like you are driving under the other cars/headlight well done :)

Manners. Use them or leave the forum. Your choice. Any more arsey and rude comments like this and you will find yourself banned.

Now, back on topic :)

better close the forum if we are only allowed to post original shots.

Wasn't there an article in a mag showing how to do these shots? Maybe they wanted people to learn how to do it but not actually do it

the amount of direction change that you introduce are all great things to play with
hehe, funny you say that as I did try one using a 30 second exposure and going around and around a roundabout, but it came out a little messy ! :LOL:

I want to have a go but I dont trust my wifes driving
I take it she doesn't read these forums then mate ? :D

how did you have the camera and (presumably) tripod set up?
The tripod was simply wedged down the side of the seat. I set the focus up on the dash area and switched the lens to manual focus, used Aperture Priority set to f.8 and a remote shutter release to actually take the shots. PP just required a little cloning here and there to remove rogue rain drops which made the picture's look messy and a slight sharpen.

Might give this a go if I can squeeze the equipment into my little run around
Seriously, have a go mate, I was surprised at how well all of the shots I took came out (y)

Its not something I personally would try but then it wouldnt do if we all did the same thing. Most of the stuff I put on has been done by others. Indeed I said I had been inspired by CT to have a go at birds close up.
I have to say I am greatly saddened how this forum has gone this last week in particular. I havent always done it but I give the mods my support. Stamp out all these rude comments & lets have a return to constructive criticism that hopefully we can all learn from.
Good on you for having a go at something YOU wanted to do.(y)

there seems to be previous between 2 folk here, one of them has sensibly decided to use the ignore function, the other hasnt. Any needle you may have between you stays off this forum, any more naughtyness will be met with suspensions and bans. think before posting please.

Nice shots and a good concept - I think number one or two for me.

The 3rd and 4th shots just don't quite do it for me as I find the hands distracting.

And well said mods - let's keep this place friendly!

Matt

Last edited:
The 3rd and 4th shots just don't quite do it for me as I find the hands distracting.

Yep, that's one thing I never considered until I came to look at them on the PC. Will definitely have to keep them out of shot on my next attempt, cheers Matt.

Comments removed.

I should read the whole thread before posting......

Sorry mods.

Steve

Last edited:
I like these shots. I did see the 'how to' guides on this in a few magazines over the past few years, it's one of those things that crops up every year or so in mags. I like the effect and think you've managed to get the clarity of the dash board really well for your first attempts.

Regarding the potholes in Stoke though, I have only been to Stoke once and the memory I have is of the awful roads and potholes.... :D:D

Those 4 photos certainly got a big thumbs up from me, due to the sheer difficulty of taking such stable long exposure pictures while the camera is sited in a fast moving car.
And secondly, I've never seen it done anywhere else. Oh, I've seen long exposure pictures of fast moving traffic at night time taken from the side of a road, but never pictures taken while INSIDE a car.
What would be brilliant is to try taking a similar thing but without the dashboard in view and along a really straight bit of road. Now that would be amazing!
But, good work for trying something which I thought was new and experimental.

Thanks JPS & Ian (y)

I have only been to Stoke once and the memory I have is of the awful roads and potholes....
It's not got any better mate ! :bonk:

fantastic i want to do them now :D

Well done macker. You hadn't done that sort of shot before, you had a go and put them up for constructive criticism. Thats how we learn technique. Its no good having original ideas if you lack the knowledge to turn those ideas into pictures.

I have been involved in photography - amateur and pro - for decades and every tog I have ever met has used other peoples ideas at some stage. I was fortunate enough to attend a course with Ansel Adams in the 1970's and even he occasionally based his work on that of others in order to increase his understanding of the art.

BTW - its Sulu not Zulu

Last edited:
What shutter speed did you use in the first lot of images? Was it taken in "Bulb" setting?

In my opinion, these are unoriginal, and have been done hundreds of times.

Yours, however, are bloody fantastic, and some of the best I've seen (y)
Don't take any notice of what the numpties say.

Anyone heard of Oscar Rejlander?
Henry Peach Robinson?

Some of the brilliant, original high art photographers.
But, wait a minute.
Oh, yeah, thats right, they effectively COPIED paintings in their photography.

Thought I'd shed some light on the subject of the whole "Your photos are unoriginal".

Back