Was all set to go to College / Barbering

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I filled in the application form a little while ago. I was supposed to be enrolling at college tomorrow, this was as a mature student. I had the enrolment appointment email, saying I should attend tomorrow, for an enrolment appointment, to sign up on the course. I had all my paperwork ready, that I needed to show them and this years fee. This was for the level 1 barbering course, and after that I was going to sign up for the level 2 course.

Been out checking the route to College, and all that sort of stuff. Just got an email, saying "Sorry, but the course is now full, please re apply next year".

A little disappointed and upset, as this is something I have always wanted to learn about. It was only something that I wanted to do, in my later years. :(

I should have been setting off this morning, this was to sign up to the level 1 Barbering course at the College near me. As I said in my first post, I got an email telling me not to attend, as the course is now full. Just re reading the first few email correspondences, and the first reply did say that this years enrolment numbers would be reduced, due to the social distancing rules. The email did go on to indicate that there were places still available on the course, and that I should apply.

I did get a reply congratulating me, saying I have secured an enrolment appointment, this was to have the course explained and to pay the fee etc.

What I think has happened, they have simply looked at the numbers and maybe they have knocked me off the sign up process, maybe in favour of a much younger applicant. If that is the case, I don't mind really. I suppose it is my own fault really, as I should have done this at a very much younger age, and not left it till much later in my years. The younger student will have fifty to sixty odd years to make use of the knowledge gained, whereas I will probably only have about ten years at best.

Not going to bother getting into how old I am thing, although I don't mind a youngster getting the place offered to me, it makes sense really. But I am still upset not getting to enroll and start learning. :(

PS

I was not after a freebie, I was paying.

Last edited:
Dont be disheartened, im sure it had nothing to do with age or such.

Colleges are having a real hard time at the moment, my son has just started, well will in a few days and they couldn't even tell him a schedule or days to attend last week, they max out the courses (as per government say so) then wait for the information about covid, then try to deal with the outcome, his college has had to reduce the days they can attend, he was supposed to go 3 full days with an online learning day and then a work placement giving him the 5 days.

But they had a choice to reduce numbers or reduce days, so now he goes 2 days, with 2 days online learning, they reduced the days on-site to accommodate the pupils.

I guess in your case they had to reduce the numbers in class and i would imagine some have already done the enrolment and paid.

it's not nice and not fair, but we live in a strange world at the moment

Dont be disheartened, im sure it had nothing to do with age or such.

Colleges are having a real hard time at the moment, my son has just started, well will in a few days and they couldn't even tell him a schedule or days to attend last week, they max out the courses (as per government say so) then wait for the information about covid, then try to deal with the outcome, his college has had to reduce the days they can attend, he was supposed to go 3 full days with an online learning day and then a work placement giving him the 5 days.

But they had a choice to reduce numbers or reduce days, so now he goes 2 days, with 2 days online learning, they reduced the days on-site to accommodate the pupils.

I guess in your case they had to reduce the numbers in class and i would imagine some have already done the enrolment and paid.

it's not nice and not fair, but we live in a strange world at the moment

It is strange times for everything at the moment. Yes even youngsters are having a hard time with Colleges and such.

I suppose I will try and apply again next year, although I am looking at other places that I could learn the level 1 and 2 course that I am interested in.

I've had the complete opposite issue recently, I've applied to 3 different colleges for different courses and none of the courses were started either because the staff member left before the start of term or not enough numbers for the college to justify running the course.

We recently looked at hiring an apprentice through a college expecting them to be with us 3 days and in college/study 2 days. No. They want them in employment full time and they allocate 3 hours a month over video conference to check in to make sure we've not put them through a woodchipper. No other college contact at all.

I've had the complete opposite issue recently, I've applied to 3 different colleges for different courses and none of the courses were started either because the staff member left before the start of term or not enough numbers for the college to justify running the course.

We recently looked at hiring an apprentice through a college expecting them to be with us 3 days and in college/study 2 days. No. They want them in employment full time and they allocate 3 hours a month over video conference to check in to make sure we've not put them through a woodchipper. No other college contact at all.

I have looked at other Colleges, but they have different criteria for joining the course. I was thinking of going to a fast track academy, where you get a Diploma on completion of the course. But I was a bit wary of them, as I could not be sure such a Diploma was even recognised by the industry. Plus they are very pricey, so Joe Bloggs hair Diploma, could be an expensive piece of useless paper. :(

Back